Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not excited at all about this week's game. It is just a regulation game that apart from the 4 points on offer, won't mean a lot. I am more interested in what happens the following week when we step up for the big one with the Pies.

I was watching some of the Carlton game from Friday night, and two things stood out for me.
Betts was the lead up full forward who troubled the taller Pies defence. The second was the run they had off half back.The Pies didn't have an answer for either.
Duigan was the wild card on the night with 3 goals, and he is not what you would call a tall.

Cyril has played full forward before with good results and we also have plenty of capability in the run department.
The point I am working towards is we can cover the Pies without Buddy and I think we will.

I am not excited at all about this week's game. It is just a regulation game that apart from the 4 points on offer, won't mean a lot. I am more interested in what happens the following week when we step up for the big one with the Pies.

I was watching some of the Carlton game from Friday night, and two things stood out for me.
Betts was the lead up full forward who troubled the taller Pies defence. The second was the run they had off half back.The Pies didn't have an answer for either.
Duigan was the wild card on the night with 3 goals, and he is not what you would call a tall.

Cyril has played full forward before with good results and we also have plenty of capability in the run department.
The point I am working towards is we can cover the Pies without Buddy and I think we will.

The Pies small defenders are woeful. If they struggled with Betts, Garlett, Walker and Duigan, then think of what Rioli, Breust, and Puopolo could do. Wouldn't mind seeing Burgoyne go forward too and stretch their smalls even further.

Bulldogs game is massive - lose and Hawks miss top 4. Worry about pies after that. If you do not believe that the dogs can win I guess you tipped the Blues on Friday night.

Rioli FF against the Pies and the Doggies - I think we will have both of these covered without Bud, The pies having Pendles coming back in will be a big boost for them.

Is there a chance Pendlebury & Thomas may be out for this game?

I'm pretty sure both will play against the Hawks.

For mine, I'd send Sewell to Pendlebury and Shiels to Thomas. I think Dane Swan cannot be tagged, so I would match Lewis up against Swan and hope to make Swan accountable for Lewis.

Franklin loves to play Collingwood and his injury will leave a gap in the forward line that Hawthorn will need to be creative to fill. However, I think that Clarkson will draw some inspiration from Ratten's approach of loading up with medium and small forwards who could beat the Pies' defenders with quickness and agility. A combination of Rioli, Breust and Puopolo will replicate that approach, with Gunston as the lead-up forward and Hale/Roughead as the player to create contests deep in the forward line.

In defence, I expect Schoenmakers to take Cloke with assistance from Gibson as the third man to come across and help out Schoenmakers. Stratton will probably run with Dawes when Daws is playing in the forward line. The wildcard will be whether Buckley tries to push Jolly forward to create a mismatch in Hawthorn's defence to be exploited by quick, high kicks into Collingwood's forward line.

Fasolo and Blair will also need careful attention. I expect that Burgoyne, should he play, will take one of those players. It's a shame that Guerra isn't available to take the other small forward Collingwood likes to use.

The fact of the matter is, however, that Collingwood relies on its midfielders to push forward and create goalscoring opportunities for themselves. What they get out of their forwards these days is almost the cream on the cake, so controlling the midfield will be essential to winning this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine, I'd send Sewell to Pendlebury and Shiels to Thomas. I think Dane Swan cannot be tagged, so I would match Lewis up against Swan and hope to make Swan accountable for Lewis.

Franklin loves to play Collingwood and his injury will leave a gap in the forward line that Hawthorn will need to be creative to fill. However, I think that Clarkson will draw some inspiration from Ratten's approach of loading up with medium and small forwards who could beat the Pies' defenders with quickness and agility. A combination of Rioli, Breust and Puopolo will replicate that approach, with Gunston as the lead-up forward and Hale/Roughead as the player to create contests deep in the forward line.

In defence, I expect Schoenmakers to take Cloke with assistance from Gibson as the third man to come across and help out Schoenmakers. Stratton will probably run with Dawes when Daws is playing in the forward line. The wildcard will be whether Buckley tries to push Jolly forward to create a mismatch in Hawthorn's defence to be exploited by quick, high kicks into Collingwood's forward line.

Fasolo and Blair will also need careful attention. I expect that Burgoyne, should he play, will take one of those players. It's a shame that Guerra isn't available to take the other small forward Collingwood likes to use.

The fact of the matter is, however, that Collingwood relies on its midfielders to push forward and create goalscoring opportunities for themselves. What they get out of their forwards these days is almost the cream on the cake, so controlling the midfield will be essential to winning this game.

Tom Murphy should get the other, he does a good job on more established small forwards than either Blair or Fassolo

The Pies small defenders are woeful. If they struggled with Betts, Garlett, Walker and Duigan, then think of what Rioli, Breust, and Puopolo could do. Wouldn't mind seeing Burgoyne go forward too and stretch their smalls
dont think you doing carltons small forwards justice there...on their day rioli is ahead of all of them, but im pretty sure betts and garlett are ahead of bruest and puopolo(on their day that is). Remember, as good as his been lately, bruest can go missing in big games.

You've missed both Beams and Sidebottom, who have been huge this year. I'd send Shiels to go head-to-head with Beams - both are ball magnets, but where Shiels has learn to run both ways, I don't know if Beams has that defensive workrate. Shiels loves getting forward, so that is something that could get exploited. Lewis I'd expect to go with Thomas for similar reasons - Mitchell to go head-to-head with Swan. Agree with Sewell - Pendlebury. Sidebottom ... not sure. Will probably be whoever is rotating through the centre - so a combo of Savage, Burgoyne and Smith.

I think we should as supporters should show the bulldogs and every other team in the league respect. This thread has a chance to come and bite you/us on the bum. The players probably had this attitude when we played the tigers.

I think we should as supporters should show the bulldogs and every other team in the league respect. This thread has a chance to come and bite you/us on the bum. The players probably had this attitude when we played the tigers.

Apparently being an ignorant, arrogant, *******, know ****ing nothing, know ****ing everything supporter has absolutely nothing to do with the way the boys prepare for the game and has no bearing on the match - the last point is correct.

The first is up to the individual.

It has zero to do with arrogance and more about forward structures.
I suspect the players will cope either way.

the biting on the bum part has nothing to do with this thread as i know it makes no difference to the result, but we havent even played the Bulldogs to beat them and you're worried about the pies. Just think its disrespectful. Carry on i'll leave this thread, im going to start one on who will be our defeated GF opponent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back