Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton beat Collingwood by playing defensively against their half backs, Geelong didn't, and they were killed by O'Brien, Shaw and Maxwell. How will we play, and who should take these roles?

Pies v Hawks is a cracker! With Buddy out, Cyril is the big danger. Given Bett's form on O'Brien (9 goals in 2 games this year), you wouldn't think Buckley would risk it. Ben Johnson is out so its Clarke or Toovey. This match up is pivotal to the game for mine.

Carlton beat Collingwood by playing defensively against their half backs, Geelong didn't, and they were killed by O'Brien, Shaw and Maxwell. How will we play, and who should take these roles?

Agree with this. Also, Geelong small forwards are either finished or just don't apply enough/any forward pressure.

Pies pressure all night was elite. Their ball use wasn't. I think the secret to beating the pies is nullify their half back line, match their pressure, use the ball better. The pies have as many holes as the Hawks are perceived to have.

He's an interesting one for everyone to have a think about for next week.

Pies play Dawes, Cloke and Taz up forward.

Do we blink and bring in Gilham (thus losing a runner from the team to make way for him)

or

Do we pinch hit with Stratts on Dawes whilst Shoey and Gibbo take the the other two monkeys.

I'm believe we don't mess with our structure and go with what we have got. We need to know now that it will/won't work rather than wait until September.

He's an interesting one for everyone to have a think about for next week.

Pies play Dawes, Cloke and Taz up forward.

Do we blink and bring in Gilham (thus losing a runner from the team to make way for him)

The latter.
or

Do we pinch hit with Stratts on Dawes whilst Shoey and Gibbo take the the other two monkeys.

I'm believe we don't mess with our structure and go with what we have got. We need to know now that it will/won't work rather than wait until September.

No doubt the formula is to pick the best available players for each week's opposition. However, with Gilham, Hodge, Bailey etc becoming available to come into the side the balance between playing the strongest possible team each week and getting players into matches is another player management issue. I don't think there will be many changes each week over the next 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies pressure all night was elite. Their ball use wasn't. I think the secret to beating the pies is nullify their half back line, match their pressure, use the ball better. The pies have as many holes as the Hawks are perceived to have.
Spot on. Actually it highlighted to me how good our ball use is in comparison.

HJ - I'd go with the second option - but Stratton on Tarrant, Gibbo on Dawes & Schoey on Cloke. We definately need the extra runner.

Savage to come back in
I dont think they'll bring in Bails or Hodgey.
Too much at stake.

19 game membership holders shouldn't have any problems getting into this game. That is in effect a GA ticket for this game bought at the start of the season.

11 game members should buy a GA ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back