Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not excited at all about this week's game. It is just a regulation game that apart from the 4 points on offer, won't mean a lot. I am more interested in what happens the following week when we step up for the big one with the Pies.

I was watching some of the Carlton game from Friday night, and two things stood out for me.
Betts was the lead up full forward who troubled the taller Pies defence. The second was the run they had off half back.The Pies didn't have an answer for either.
Duigan was the wild card on the night with 3 goals, and he is not what you would call a tall.

Cyril has played full forward before with good results and we also have plenty of capability in the run department.
The point I am working towards is we can cover the Pies without Buddy and I think we will.

Whats the date of the Grand Final this year, I would like to start the 2012 Hawthorn v West Coast grand final thread?:D

Time for Schoenmakers the forward. He'll be slaughtered by Cloke anyway, might as well put Murphy on Cloke. :)

I'm pretty sure both will play against the Hawks.

For mine, I'd send Sewell to Pendlebury and Shiels to Thomas. I think Dane Swan cannot be tagged, so I would match Lewis up against Swan and hope to make Swan accountable for Lewis.

Franklin loves to play Collingwood and his injury will leave a gap in the forward line that Hawthorn will need to be creative to fill. However, I think that Clarkson will draw some inspiration from Ratten's approach of loading up with medium and small forwards who could beat the Pies' defenders with quickness and agility. A combination of Rioli, Breust and Puopolo will replicate that approach, with Gunston as the lead-up forward and Hale/Roughead as the player to create contests deep in the forward line.

In defence, I expect Schoenmakers to take Cloke with assistance from Gibson as the third man to come across and help out Schoenmakers. Stratton will probably run with Dawes when Daws is playing in the forward line. The wildcard will be whether Buckley tries to push Jolly forward to create a mismatch in Hawthorn's defence to be exploited by quick, high kicks into Collingwood's forward line.

Fasolo and Blair will also need careful attention. I expect that Burgoyne, should he play, will take one of those players. It's a shame that Guerra isn't available to take the other small forward Collingwood likes to use.

The fact of the matter is, however, that Collingwood relies on its midfielders to push forward and create goalscoring opportunities for themselves. What they get out of their forwards these days is almost the cream on the cake, so controlling the midfield will be essential to winning this game.

Swan never plays accountable

There are a few people worrying about us getting ahead of ourselves as a club, as long as the forum is not full of the Hawks players, coaches and gameday staff - I am not too worried.

Players getting ahead of themselves is not good, they need to have their mind on the job each week. THEY are the ones that have to face another team of 22 AFL fit players week in week out, not us thankfully.

A group of people talking about a game in 2 weeks time has nothing to do with respecting the Doggies or not, there is another active thread and about 40 people from the club that are fully respectiing that game at the moment.

This is just a thread discussing another completely unrelated game, albeit one that is very important to our season, probably the most important so far I think. I am as superstitious as the come but I don't think this discussion will make or break the Hawks season.

There are a few people worrying about us getting ahead of ourselves as a club, as long as the forum is not full of the Hawks players, coaches and gameday staff - I am not too worried.

Players getting ahead of themselves is not good, they need to have their mind on the job each week. THEY are the ones that have to face another team of 22 AFL fit players week in week out, not us thankfully.

A group of people talking about a game in 2 weeks time has nothing to do with respecting the Doggies or not, there is another active thread and about 40 people from the club that are fully respectiing that game at the moment.

This is just a thread discussing another completely unrelated game, albeit one that is very important to our season, probably the most important so far I think. I am as superstitious as the come but I don't think this discussion will make or break the Hawks season.

I would be very surprised if the coaches are not looking beyond the present week to plan strategically about how to play their opponents in the weeks to come.

It's one thing to take your eye off the ball and disrespect an upcoming opponent, but it's another thing to never see the forest for the trees.

My view exactly. It might be a little "non-traditional" to talk about a game more than a week out, but thats about as controversial as this should be.

I would be very surprised if the coaches are not looking beyond the present week to plan strategically about how to play their opponents in the weeks to come.

It's one thing to take your eye off the ball and disrespect an upcoming opponent, but it's another thing to never see the forest for the trees.

I agree, The coaches would not see looking at the Collingwood, Essendon and Geelong games 2 - 3 weeks out as getting ahead of themselves. The players would be concetrating on watching the recent games of their likely 1 - 2 opponents I would think.

It is the perfect time for Schoenmakers to have another crack at Cloke. Cloke is down, Schoe is up and about. A nice scalp for Schoe 6 weeks from finals if he can get it done.
Cloke is Schoe's bitch. Remember 2010, Cloke had a shade of Brown in his dacks with Shoe near him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs game is massive - lose and Hawks miss top 4. Worry about pies after that. If you do not believe that the dogs can win I guess you tipped the Blues on Friday night.

I don't follow your logic?? Can you explain please?

Carlton have some ability but shown no form until last week. Footscray have no ability and no form. They are a complete rabble. We could rest 10 and still beat them as St. Kilda did to us a few years ago. It's got nothing to do with respect, it's a simple and realistic appraisal of their demonstrated lack of performance. Anyway, the thread is about Collingwood which is where all Hawks fans are focussed. If the club had been more focussed on it, Buddy would have been playing as well.

This match will be a sell out as tickets are selling fast. Don't miss out, upgrade to a reserved seat for this match to ensure entry or purchase a GA ticket soon. Is our cheer squad siting at the punt road end for this game?

Will just walk up to afl members. If i need to leave at half time, i will not have wasted any money ;)

I. Know what your saying but we do have a tendency to play opposition key forwards back into form on occasions. And Gilham is a strong body who is quite reliable.

I'm not sure he has form.

Dawes has twice kicked over 3 goals a game in his 61 game career.

Both times they were against the team that finished on the bottom of the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back