Review Round 17 - North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium - 6th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Ballard was used as justification by some on here to say the Weller trade was not a monumental cockup

Ahhh good times
View attachment 2041373

I was appalled by the trade at the time but let’s not forget people are seriously considering 2 first rounders for Rioli a very similar player at a similar stage in his career
What will make it a bad trade will be whether or not Lachie can get back on the park and back to his best form IMO
I have confidence Chucky B can get back to his best but you do get the feeling opposition selectors will be doing due diligence on how many smalls/talls they play when they meet us with Chucky Collo and Mac stacked back

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fof GIF by Team Foreveronfire
Nah, is that team, Canberra, Gold Coast, Tasmania or soon Northern Territory.
Northern Kangaroos has a familiar sound to it

Very respectful. Great parenting.
I’d like to think I have endowed him with the importance of manners and respect, but I have learned as much from him and his loving nature as I have ever imparted

The glaring problem we have is 90% of the team look like they are playing in a Church Social Club competition.
No hard edge whatsoever.

Apart from Long Collins Holman and Graham way too nice.
King and Lukocious play like choir boys as does the entire midfield apart from Graham.
Regards of his output Walter needs to play for this reason alone.
Hardwick has just realised this is embedded in them and he's worried.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't know. Andrew is a lunatic too, Rowell spends most the time buried in the turf, Ballard drops in to dangerous holes backwards weekly... I just think there's a very deeply bedded lack of self belief which creates a sub conscious self sabotage effect.

They just fall in a heap when they have an opportunity to change the story. It's psychological and if they can push past it and prove themselves wrong well get there. Whether that happens...

I don't know. Andrew is a lunatic too, Rowell spends most the time buried in the turf, Ballard drops in to dangerous holes backwards weekly... I just think there's a very deeply bedded lack of self belief which creates a sub conscious self sabotage effect.

They just fall in a heap when they have an opportunity to change the story. It's psychological and if they can push past it and prove themselves wrong well get there. Whether that happens...

As Dimma said
They don’t know how good they are
The lack of belief was embedded in the DNA when a group of idiots were allowed to set the Club up with an untried coach and a bag of magic beans otherwise known as draft picks that everyone presumed would all sprout into superstars
Years of skinny kids playing against powerhouses that laughed and routinely sent their VFL teams to play us
GWS looked at that model
Looked at our results and went “ Nah”
Got a better leg up from the AFL contracted Sheedy and the rest is history

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
The glaring problem we have is 90% of the team look like they are playing in a Church Social Club competition.
No hard edge whatsoever.

Apart from Long Collins Holman and Graham way too nice.
King and Lukocious play like choir boys as does the entire midfield apart from Graham.
Regards of his output Walter needs to play for this reason alone.
Hardwick has just realised this is embedded in them and he's worried.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely. Watching this team on the road at the moment always reminds me of what Adam Simpson said about us in that AFL doco during when we were about to play West Coast in the 1st game after the covid season came back. I think he more or less tried to say that we were a team full of young high draft picks who never had to get in a dog fight because everything had been gifted to them coming through the system as top prospects in the top teams etc. We ended up flogging them with M. Rowell putting the world on notice.

But anyway, that’s what we look like now. When we are challenged, we have no idea how to respond because we just expect things to happen for us and when faced with that we just lose all composure and try to go individual hero mode.

It’s not even necessarily about introvert/extrovert either. You could hardly get 2 words out of Bobby Uwland in an interview, but I would trust that kid to run through a brick wall over just about any other player in the list if it was for the benefit of the team. He just has that dog in him.

Absolutely. Watching this team on the road at the moment always reminds me of what Adam Simpson said about us in that AFL doco during when we were about to play West Coast in the 1st game after the covid season came back. I think he more or less tried to say that we were a team full of young high draft picks who never had to get in a dog fight because everything had been gifted to them coming through the system as top prospects in the top teams etc. We ended up flogging them with M. Rowell putting the world on notice.

But anyway, that’s what we look like now. When we are challenged, we have no idea how to respond because we just expect things to happen for us and when faced with that we just lose all composure and try to go individual hero mode.

It’s not even necessarily about introvert/extrovert either. You could hardly get 2 words out of Bobby Uwland in an interview, but I would trust that kid to run through a brick wall over just about any other player in the list if it was for the benefit of the team. He just has that dog in him.
I think Guy McKenna is spot on about Suns. Interview in Media thread.

Very disappointed with the result but I can't say it's the worst loss in the world. If Ainsworth kicked that set shot - I know it's a high bar, he's never been good at set shots - the narrative would be that the Suns finally beat the away game hoodoo and the sky's the limit etc etc. There are lessons to be learned from that loss that need to sink in to the players: Don't let team's play the game on their terms away. GC categorically failed that test in the bonafide Mini GF against St Kilda, and the boys didn't do a good enough job against North Melbourne for large periods. Gold Coast had way more inside 50s but got killed in the clearances, and North Melbourne managed to convert their i50s into points with startling efficiency.

I thought Swallow played his role brilliantly in the first half, playing in front of Comben to prevent any intercept marks and force Comben into difficult 1v1s against Sam Day. And Sam Day was absolutely excellent, it's a crying shame he got injured when he was probably best on ground. Uwland played a ripper, rebounded well and didn't let anything get past him with some clutch spoils. Will Graham had another great game. Holman played one of his better games, but Berry needs to be finding form in the VFL, he didn't play his role effectively and he hasn't for weeks. Hope Rosas is good to go, I've heard conflicting things about his health this week. Another disappointing game from Bailey Humphrey, I'm not sure what he can do to regain his mojo, don't think playing him in the guts is the answer at this stage.

Review Round 17 - North Melbourne @ Marvel Stadium - 6th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back