Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Urgh, I'm so drunk right now,about 10-12 beers in, and just basking in the Saints glow. How good to be in finals,how good to see the passion,both from supporters and from the players and the club.
Of course we had to wait to the last game. And of course it's not the pinical, but only the start,but my god what a happy time to be a sainter!

In all the euphoria of a win some of us are still crunching the numbers and trying to make this club better.

Thankless task.

Jake Carlisle had just 5 touches and 1 mark tonight, I think he's done.

He needed to be BOG tonight but he did SFA tonight so he's done with us.
Was part of a defence who kept the Giants to 3 goals. Reckon that is a solid night

The thing I’m probably happiest about tonight (besides the obvious of making finals) was I think we’ve finally found an answer to a big problem we’ve had for a few years now, namely, dealing with opposition tall intercept marking players.

I reckon it’s safe to say Haynes is in the top 3 intercepters in the game.

The absolute demolition job Josh Battle did on him tonight was something to behold.

We haven’t had an answer to the Haynes-type players that are running around at the moment.

But we have one now in Battle.

He has a massive tank. He has great height and a great leap. In short, he is every tall intercepting players worst nightmare.

Not only can Battle nullify this type of player, he can score himself and, this is the most important thing, he frees up so much space in the forward line for King and Membrey to work their magic and either mark it or bring the ball to ground for our smalls.

A round of applause to Ratts or whoever it was that suggested Josh play the role he played tonight. It was a big reason we are playing finals.

Hopefully from this point on, we will no longer be terrorized by the Haynes and McGovern-type players in the competition.

Carlisle allowed Coffield to shine.

Like Hannebery allowed Sinclair to shine.

The 35 in my username is for Sinclair not Harvey now.

I worship a new god.

3994900_AFL_Saints_16-9_12352949_1749979_596e7ce8ca6a93e404d4228c_sd_1280x720.jpg

We're back baby!!!

Battle and Roma just ooze 'big game player'. Both have a hint of arrogance. Perfect.

I thought Ryder was cooked and would be a total dud. Could not have been more wrong. He has been amazing this year.

One kick of Hill's stood out to me. Kent was at half forward leasing towards the boundary and Hill went "nup, go over here" and kicked it corridor side leading him to run onto the ball in a much more dangerous spot.

Umpiring was pretty generous. Maybe they'll latch onto "the story" like the ****ing bulldogs in 2016. If we can get 10% of the umpiring they did prepare the trophy cabinet (although let's be real, no team before or after has been/will ever be carried like that. It was disgusting).

Heya boys! Finished work late. Just finished the replay.
Am focusing on getting durnk right now, but just wanna say F** YEAH!!! SAINTS!!!
All you doubters, I don't care, big hugs anyway!!
OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!
Love this club. Thanks Matty, Lethers, Ratts, Kingy, Hillly, Hanners, Dougs, Buttts, Paddy, all the guys who've come in and made our club relevant again.
From where we were 12 months ago to now, bloody nearly makes me cry.
Instead I'm geting drunk. Work tomorrow, but hwo cares.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plug your man Lonie was good tonight. Hats off to the little fella he stood up big time, especially after copping an injury early.

I'm not sure that Lonie is my man but I rate him and he was good tonight, kicked 2 goals and got himself injured allowing Hill to kick a goal for him.

I will always push for Lonie in our forward line because Lonie can do things that only Lonie can do. he's in our best 22.

Next question?

Ha ha, just watching the replay and saw this now! It’s phenomenal skill from the big man.

It’s actually nuts how disappointed the commentators were from midway through the third (especially BT) when we got on top. Bruce at least late in the last started feigning excitement but BT was disgraceful. Won’t forgive him for tonight.

Only 2 games we weren't in in the final 2 minutes.

You'd think a more experienced side would win a few more of those.

It's been a bloody good improvement from where we were last year.

I think people forget quickly we were a bottom 5 side with a poor percentage last year.
I think we are a better side than our ladder position suggests. Windows tend to be 3-4 years long.... Lets just do it this year

What a night for our club. A must win game and we win emphatically. I think teams will fear us in the finals. First week we will play the Pies or Dogs - we have no reason to fear either side.

Ryder was spectacular again tonight. Amazing to see a player re-invigorate his career. I work in an Aboriginal community that is footy mad and at the start of the year when I told a bloke I work with we'd signed Paddy Ryder, he was really impressed. "He's a bloody good player that Ryder." I wasn't so sure. Can tell you I am now.

I loved Lonie tonight. Down on his knees with an injury, gets up to take the grab and gives the kick up to Hill who drills it. Huge moment in the game. Hill grew into the game after that too, was huge in the second half.

Speaking of second half, what about the improvement in King? That's the difference of having Roughead there to coach. He adjusted his play and it made a huge difference.

I was so nervous about this game, but we stood up as a group and I'm so proud of the players and the club as a whole. Brett Ratten especially should hold his head high, he challenged this group to improve and they have.

What happens next? Well that's anyone's guess. But we really earned our stripes today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS *MARSHALL 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back