Autopsy Round 18, 2022: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

We're stuck with Ratts for 2 more years so run the broom through the assistants except for Enright. We should have lost by 100 points but for the defence & that was without Doogs as well
Re signing Ratts is looking like an increasingly stupid and short sighted decision by the board.

They have to put thier hand up here and admit they screwed up

We're stuck with Ratts for 2 more years so run the broom through the assistants except for Enright. We should have lost by 100 points but for the defence & that was without Doogs as well
Re signing Ratts is looking like an increasingly stupid and short sighted decision by the board.

They have to put thier hand up here and admit they screwed up

If Ratts talks to the players like he does at this preas conference he needs to change, it's like he's coaching under 12's call out the s**t campaigner efforts as they are. Not with things like "pretty average", or "not gonna win many games like that".
Not as a defense but footy has changed a lot. Noble having to apologise to his players after the spray he gave was just a bizarre moment in footy where it became evident that the way coaches adress players has moved a lot.

The very best know the line and know how to straddle it, Ratts is not the very best and if he tries he’ll probably be forced to apologise as well which just means you’ve lost the respect of the playing group.

It was made clear to supporters at the start of the year that there was one plan and one plan only in terms of forward entries.That we would be stagnant and require forwards to stand still and contest an oppent for their marks.

So I'm not sure what people are complaining about on the coaching front. The game plan is working as advertised, players just need to be better.

You can check Batch's early season write up of Cooper Sharman for proof that the plan has been in place and for quite some time. It's just now Ratts is getting real buy in from the team. I'm sure it will all click next week and we'll take down the mighty Eagles in a thrilling match.

Carn the Saintas!

Batch's Review: Highmore heats up, new recruits impress

16 blokes without a tackle at half time is average, according to Ratten.

I wonder what below average is?

As Narkle said you can’t tackle a side that moves the ball fast.

Hill hardly turned up. Sincs is our best player by far now. Started badly but was statistically best on ground for either side. Steele, Wilkie, Battle, Wood and Billings our next best. Too many forgot to turn up or just horrible skills.

At least Sincs helped his chances of making the AA team.

36 disposals (14 contested), 10 intercepts, 11 marks, 1 goal, 639m-gained, 146 fantasy points.

While Wilkie played his career-best game.

Career-high 27 disposals (@89% efficiency), career-high 16 marks (3 contested), 14 intercepts, 380m-gained, 123 fantasy points. 👍

Last edited:
He's talked up like he's one of the greats already and has zero work rate. His brother will end up better with less talent because he's not adored for doing his own glorification.
I was thinking along the same lines as well. Max has all the talent and is a gun, but his 2nd efforts are often very poor. I Reckon a more hard-line couch would pull him up on that and possibly make him work on it in the 2s if needed, but I think he gets away with a lot with Ratts which isn't great for trying to build standards in the team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Scotty Waters could have been very good.

Off field the club was *ed: We had hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in player bonuses that nobody was keeping track of.

Zac Dawson agreed to an extension and then was told he actually had to take a pay CUT if he was going to stay because we'd *ed up the salary cap.

Watters also had a leased car as part of his contract but nobody told him about it until the day he got sacked!

The senior players revolted and put their flag in the ground when he called them out for not winning in 09/10. Infamously, he pulled down the GF team photos and told the group that we were celebrating failure.

Funniest thing is that Pelchen came in and cleared out guys like Dal, Big Boy and BJ to clear cap space and bank picks for the rebuild that Scott Watters wanted but the senior playing group fought against!

Now I rekon we have a group that love Ratts. Why? Because he's nice to them. They know they are gonna get games.

Hill and Billings and Wood etc... They fill the stat sheet most weeks. Get a couple of clips on the highlight reel. "Do better next time" pat on the head and off ya go.

We need more campaigners in this team. Guys that would go after Bailey Smith at the bounce of the ball. Guys that would smash Bruce every time he went for a mark.

And FFS, do something about our F50 set up and entries. We are the WORST team to watch with the ball in hand!!

No DMac = No Saints.

There'll be plenty that challenge the accuracy of this. But for me, it's bang on.

Ratts got shafted at Carlton, if he's worth his salt, the snow flakes will be gone by seasons end and if not, they will be playing at TBBO each week next year.

I was thinking along the same lines as well. Max has all the talent and is a gun, but his 2nd efforts are often very poor. I Reckon a more hard-line couch would pull him up on that and possibly make him work on it in the 2s if needed, but I think he gets away with a lot with Ratts which isn't great for trying to build standards in the team
It’s not even second efforts, heaps of the time now if he gets a finger laid on him before the first contest he just gives up.

I feel for him because we crucify him so often but he’s got a bad case of the flops he needs to work on (and plenty of kpfs have managed to do it.

Not as a defense but footy has changed a lot. Noble having to apologise to his players after the spray he gave was just a bizarre moment in footy where it became evident that the way coaches adress players has moved a lot.

The very best know the line and know how to straddle it, Ratts is not the very best and if he tries he’ll probably be forced to apologise as well which just means you’ve lost the respect of the playing group.

I get that there's an image to present to the media and then an internal character, I just hope it's not as soft as that. He doesn't need to go Rocket Eade and call everyone a big shit head after a down game, but there's some poor body language and behaviour from some of our blokes when the worm starts to turn and I hope he gives them at least a bit of a whack for it among other things.

At least Sincs helped his chances of making the AA team.

36 disposals (14 contested), 10 intercepts, 11 marks, 1 goal, 639m-gained, 146 fantasy points.

While Wilkie played his career-best game.

27 disposals (@89% efficiency), 16 marks (3 contested), 14 intercepts, 380m-gained. 👍
Wilkie was incredible outside of one horse crap umpiring decision. Also think coops showed a lot and a bit of composure. Has to play the year out , forward back don’t care.

It’s not even second efforts, heaps of the time now if he gets a finger laid on him before the first contest he just gives up.

I feel for him because we crucify him so often but he’s got a bad case of the flops he needs to work on (and plenty of kpfs have managed to do it.
Don’t agree tbh I think max often chases and works hard at second third fourth efforts. I worry more about his leasing patterns.

A few notes

I love Steeley, I do. I have never been one to judge leadership because I think it’s so unquantifiable. However just based on his body language as our skip when things go against us. I’m not sure it’s good for his own footy to be skip. He seems to carrying the world. I think between h and Wilkie they can share the load.

Loved Sharman in defence but no way should he and skunk play there at the same time. We missed Seb Ross poise tonight.

I think whilst our small arnt executing we need Gresh up forward. Over the last month I can’t think of how many times opposition defences have picked up the crumbs out of a marking contest.

We lost the game in the first when we turned it over for 5 goals imo. The dogs are not that good.

Our defence did the best they could

The recruitment of jones and hill and Higgins idk if it helped or hindered us.

I’m pretty defensive of King. He looks lazy…but how does he lead when we slow play it out of the backline by chipping it around side to side, enter from the wing, only to end up bombing on his head. Teams put two on him every week because we allow them to with our static ball movement. We allow the opposition to clog up all the space
He first lead at all though. He points over his head the whole time. Once you notice e it you cannot unsee it. At the swans game that I was at nobody except Membrey would lead. Max was the worst. It’s depressing. All the great full forwards of the past knew how to lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 18, 2022: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back