Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

No we never went hard enough. We thought once we had our Billings and Paddy that was all we needed. We gifted 1st round draft picks for players that are now playing elsewhere.
Our list managers thought they were being smart. We tried to cheat the system and all it did was hamstring us.

So if we gut the list we are not magically getting better.
It will come down to drafting and recruiting. Maybe some of our future champions are already on the list in Owens, Pou and NWM. I really hope so because end of the day that's what we need, champion star players that win you big games.

It will come down to drafting and recruiting. Maybe some of our future champions are already on the list in Owens, Pou and NWM. I really hope so because end of the day that's what we need, champion star players that win you big games.

But the point is when you look at our list in terms of where our players were drafted and we don't have a lot of first or second round picks on the list. That's the problem.
We gave up all those picks and didn't grow our own. We tried for the easy fix.

And the ones that we got lucky with getting in or growing ourselves eg Marshall and Membrey we'd be happy to trade away.

And yesterday wasn’t the 1st time
A lot of these older players have been put on a pedestal and been in there comfort zone for far to long , Membery , Steele , Gresham , Billings , Hill and hopefully Lyon will make them realize they have to start putting in the effort.
Yesterday seeing Flanders rip our midfield a part just sum's up how poorly our leadership group is - why couldn't Steele smoother the kid,
Gresham seems to of dropped his bundle and Hill needs to start doing the basic things - the turn overs he has been creating has been killing any momentum.
Guys like Wilkie , Wood , Sinclair , Crouch , Sinclair , Owens , Marshall , Milera , Webster are showing the load they have been carrying is totally burning them out and the senior guys like Steele , Hill , Howard , Gresham are meant to be sharing the bulk of it and they are not.

But the point is when you look at our list in terms of where our players were drafted and we don't have a lot of first or second round picks on the list. That's the problem.
We gave up all those picks and didn't grow our own. We tried for the easy fix.

And the ones that we got lucky with getting in or growing ourselves eg Marshall and Membrey we'd be happy to trade away.
As I’ve already said.

We will get younger and shed those that have been here across the Richo and Ratten eras.

The new core is Pou Nas King Windy Owens Higgins - club thinks they will all be stars

Caminiti Stocker Sharman Byrnes all look like keepers.

They love the look of Keeler Van Es Hotton.

It’s the group of Howard Membrey Hill Steele Ross Billings Jones Marshall Battle Butler Clark Coffield Gresham Dmac Paton & Webster that is the issue.

Huge question on work ethic. Durability. Ability to perform consistently. Attention to preparation.

Wilkie Sinclair Wood - who meet the expectations of the boss. Arguably why all 3 are having career years.

Then there is a group that is just not rated. Predominantly kids.

Now you can’t bin them all. Or gut your experienced list. But the clubs been planning for a fair bit of movement.

So let’s see.

I imagine we will have 2 first round picks in contention for round 1 next year - Ross really happy to just bring kids through.

Hence why I said a few weeks ago, people who think he was brought in as a bloke who elevates an experienced list is wrong.

He was brought in to sort out who is an AFL footballer who can play and be apart of a finals side.

Just to offer a slightly different perspective:

Re Membrey - only he would know how his knee really feels - maybe it still isn’t right and he just wouldn’t add much playing at the moment?

Re Hill - maybe his knee isn’t right but he played anyway to help out and that explains his abysmal kicking yesterday?

Who knows? Just speculating.
Nah - they're just running around collecting their paychecks.

Imagine being a genuinely happy sort of soul and actually smiling after a game. Shocking

As for the coach staring into the camera and tearing Membrey a new one - well I thought he was just bemoaning the fact that we are missing experienced players in the forward half and would love to have a fit Membrey.

As I’ve already said.

We will get younger and shed those that have been here across the Richo and Ratten eras.

The new core is Pou Nas King Windy Owens Higgins - club thinks they will all be stars

It’s the group of Howard Membrey Hill Steele Ross Billings Jones Marshall Battle Butler Clark Coffield Gresham Dmac Paton & Webster that is the issue.

Huge question on work ethic. Durability. Ability to perform consistently. Attention to preparation.

Wilkie Sinclair Wood - who meet the expectations of the boss. Arguably why all 3 are having career years.

Now you can’t bin them all. Or gut your experienced list. But the clubs been planning for a fair bit of movement.

So let’s see.

I imagine we will have 2 first round picks in contention for round 1 next year - Ross really happy to just bring kids through.

Hence why I said a few weeks ago, people who think he was brought in as a bloke who elevates an experienced list is wrong.

He was brought in to sort out who is an AFL footballer who can play and be apart of a finals side.
Great post for true believers.

I was so annoyed that his opponent kicked one goal, from a dodgy free kick conceded by someone else, in a game where the ball came into the 50 non stop.
Any mention of the defender that got out marked all day and had multiple goals kicked on him? Or do we need to keep sweet with his dad in the Quill Room?
Didn't Dougal play on Casboult for most of the game?

He doesn’t need to. He just needs enough credibility to say “the players are s**t, need to rebuild”. The others didn’t have that.
Ross has complete assurances to do what needs to be done.

He is here for 4 years…. Atleast.

He has people he trusts in key roles.

If he decides tomorrow it needs a full rebuild. They will blow the whole thing up.

I think he will move someone on as a statement to the list. (just my opinion)

as I said last night. Make time. Go to training. The boss will chat honestly with anyone in our colours.

Nah - they're just running around collecting their paychecks.

Imagine being a genuinely happy sort of soul and actually smiling after a game. Shocking

As for the coach staring into the camera and tearing Membrey a new one - well I thought he was just bemoaning the fact that we are missing experienced players in the forward half and would love to have a fit Membrey.
Agree - smiling immediately after a performance like that sends a terrible message to supporters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I’ve already said.

So let’s see.

So 20 odd blokes who are either not good enough or not doing what is expected.

We rebuild and we call it that now.

Don't half ass it.

Don't only dangle 1 out as some kind of warning to the rest. Because if it doesn't work. We set ourselves back even further.

And we better hope we don't see another ex St Kilda player in a Grand Final win. Especially one not thought of as doing the job properly.

Ross has complete assurances to do what needs to be done.

He is here for 4 years…. Atleast.

He has people he trusts in key roles.

If he decides tomorrow it needs a full rebuild. They will blow the whole thing up.

I think he will move someone on as a statement to the list. (just my opinion)

as I said last night. Make time. Go to training. The boss will chat honestly with anyone in our colours.

most pundits outside of the coaching ranks knew we needed a rebuild long before Ross walked into the club, you'd think he came into the job knowing he had to rebuild, most coaches do unless you are Ross Mk1 and walk into a club with a list ready to go.

The list will look completely different in 3 to 4 years is my guess.

Don't half ass it.

Don't only dangle 1 out as some kind of warning to the rest. Because if it doesn't work. We set ourselves back even further.

And we better hope we don't see another ex St Kilda player in a Grand Final win. Especially one not thought of as doing the job properly.
Doesn’t mean they are all For the bin. It means they have never had to meet these expectations.

They need to step up.

Sometimes using one or two sets the example for the rest.

He knows what he is doing.

Don't half ass it.

Yeah agree, pretty sure Ross knows the fix isn't as simple as sacking one player to get the rest to somehow magically find talent and skills.

Doesn’t mean they are all For the bin. It means they have never had to meet these expectations.

They need to step up.

nup, you have it wrong, not how it works when you have a talent shortage.

As I’ve already said.

So let’s see.

Great post mate but might be a bit harsh on Steele there. The bloke is a two time AA and basically carried out side for three years until Sincs took over the job. Hopefully he can get back to his best maybe relinquishing the captaincy could help him.

They need to step up.

Sacrifice one to educate a thousand

One of RTB favourites

Apparently saints players and dees players player a 14v14 scratch match over the weekend? Does anyone have any info on this

most pundits outside of the coaching ranks knew we needed a rebuild long before Ross walked into the club, you'd think he came into the job knowing he had to rebuild, most coaches do unless you are Ross Mk1 and walk into a club with a list ready to go.

The list will look completely different in 3 to 4 years is my guess.
All 18 list will look different in 3 to 4 years

Great post mate but might be a bit harsh on Steele there. The bloke is a two time AA and basically carried out side for three years until Sincs took over the job. Hopefully he can get back to his best maybe relinquishing the captaincy could help him.
I’m not saying Steele is garbage.

I’m saying Jack needs to start tapping the RTB way.

And when he does. He will be even better. But right now he is letting himself and us down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back