Review Round 18, 2023 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference between the top ruckmen and the next tier is apparently enormous- love the Big O but he was appalling against Gawn. The coaching tonight was also embarrassing - classic defensive footy when the team plays best when there is at least some element of offence.

I really don’t think we ran out of legs, Gawn and the dees mids just won basically every stoppage. Which isn’t a defence of our response - mids got spanked and Oscar couldn’t force a single ground ball when matched up v Gawn.

Gunston as the winger in the first part of the second term baffled me and he was next to useless in the last.

Last edited:
Big O got dominated in every facet

Rayner experiment should be over - his short bursts where he wins a loose ground ball breaks a tackle and sky balls a shallow entry inside 50 has some posters frothing over himis some of the most bizarre fetishes I’ve seen in my life. Needs a four week training block.

Rebound defenders missing in last quarter only one who stood up was wilmot … the issue with that was he panicked a bit. Needed more support from Coleman and McKenna.

Gunston cooked. Sold a lie last week.

Fagan… wtf goes through his head sometimes. Icing it with half a quarter left is one of the most idiotic coaching moves I’ve seen all year.

Crowds against the lions? May as well turn the tv off they won’t be turning up.

Called it 3 quarter time. Not surprised at all. Not even mad.

Some great signs from young blokes though. Need to utilise fletcher and Ashcroft more often.

This long kick to a pack inside 50 doesn’t work when you got hipwood and Daniher (Daniher played well roaming) to compete in the air. Should really use the wings who have so much space sitting 70m from goal.

Back on fagan… wouldn’t have mind seeing him come down from his ivory tower with 10 minutes left in the game…

I obviously get people being upset but this might well go down as the game that makes us. They learn more they’re losing than winning. I’m excited to see how they rebound.

I think it’ll break them to be honest. We just completely melted in that quarter and it will be so hard to recover from :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't choke, we got sucked into their shit or bust game , were three goals in front and played panic football. I said this months ago, start the last quarter a few goal in front and we should cruise to a win,we panic and just blast the ball anywhere with no thought to the fact that the clock is our friend, the longer we have possession the closer we are to winning

Wilmott continuously kicking 15m inside the boundary line. Come back every single time. May as well kicked it out on the full. Least there was a slim chance it could have been touched. No forward or ruck made body contact on Gawn all night

Players started by going in to their shells

Fagan guaranteed the loss by putting Gunston back.

Chris - it doesn’t work! He got 2 possessions doing it in the first quarter and kicked it straight back to them!

It tells every player okay just hang on here

It also means Gunston stays on the ground when he should be off to have some run

And it gave melbourne an extra around the ball

Honestly Fagan might be the worst match-day coach in the comp

Harsh because Gunston kicked 3 goals, but our forward half pressure looks far better with the two tall forward set up. We also run out games far better with an extra runner out there.

Unaccountable midfield killed us again in the first 10 and last 10 minutes. Dunkley out leaves a massive void.

Some senior players making brain farts under pressure too. Lester going for goal and lobbing it to three Melbourne defenders with a free man in the 50 comes to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2023 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Back