Prediction Round 18, 2024: Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re playing the kids. This is the games played this year by those who began the year 22 years or younger :

16- Ginbey, Hough, Chesser
13- Reid, Maric
11- J Williams
9- Brockman, L Edwards
7- Long*
3- Dewar, Hutchinson
2- Johnston
1- Culley, Barnett, Trew, Rawlinson
0- Bazzo*, Baker, Hewett*, Burgiel, Hall, Livingstone, Reid

*Long, Hewett and Bazzo have all missed games due to injury

Games played by fringe older players:

16- Darling
13- Witherden
12- Petruccelle
11- Rotham
9- Jones
8- Sheed
3- Gaff

I don’t think from the above that playing the kids has been given quite the priority it might have but nor could you say a ridiculous amount of games have been gifted to undeserving players. Jones and Sheed probably the two that stand out as players who could have made way for a younger player

Jones should be a pressure small fwd if he's in the team imo. He's quick and he can tackle when he gives a shit

Tell him we don't care about possies or goals, just front and centre every contest and tackle and pressure to keep your spot

I agree with this - our forward line needs a bit of energy and chaos IMO (he's been too chaotic coming out of the back half but up forward it could be more useful). If we continue to play giant forward lines we'll need to fix our ground level chasing, oppo teams have been waltzing it out of there.

Get him tackling, buzzing at the feet of Jake and Oscar and getting lippy to the key defenders on those two - we don't really have another player who suits the pest role.

Not sure he makes it but think if he does it's in that role - get Maric in as defensive rebounder instead and use these last few games to see how they both work.

Re playing the kids. This is the games played this year by those who began the year 22 years or younger :

13- Reid, Maric
11- J Williams
9- Brockman, L Edwards
7- Long*
3- Dewar, Hutchinson
2- Johnston

16- Darling
13- Witherden
12- Petruccelle
11- Rotham
9- Jones
8- Sheed
3- Gaff

I don’t think from the above that playing the kids has been given quite the priority it might have but nor could you say a ridiculous amount of games have been gifted to undeserving players. Jones and Sheed probably the two that stand out as players who could have made way for a younger player

Darling probably the one that stands out for me there given he plays in our only position we're actually pretty deep in. Not saying he should have been banished to the WAFL and never looked at again or anything like that but would have liked to see him and JWilliams both around the 13 game mark with both being 'managed' for each other every so often, or get an extra game into Culley that way etc.

Hopefully we're ok doing that with him, even Cripps if needed, Rotham etc where they're not exactly in a Gaff situation but one each week can be managed in and out to give a young kid a bit more responsibility.

Jones should be a pressure small fwd if he's in the team imo. He's quick and he can tackle when he gives a shit

Tell him we don't care about possies or goals, just front and centre every contest and tackle and pressure to keep your spot

That is the role he has been playing last couple of games. Hard to keep your spot if you dont kick one every now and again. His biggest problem is being so one sided, has no right side kick and opponents know it.

13- Reid, Maric
11- J Williams
9- Brockman, L Edwards
7- Long*
3- Dewar, Hutchinson
2- Johnston

16- Darling
13- Witherden
12- Petruccelle
11- Rotham
9- Jones
8- Sheed
3- Gaff

Isnt the real question who didnt get games who actually should have?

Aka who had enough form and a fitness base to play at the top level.

Id suggest not many more kids ticked those boxes.

If the decision re Darling is one of:

(1) keep playing him is so that he can hit 300 in our last game and then retire, therefore opening up a list spot for next year; or

(2) drop him for some games now and then retain him next year as depth and notch off the remaining games he needs.

I'd much rather (1).

Of course, the other alternative is to drop him now and delist him at the end of the season. But to be honest I'd still prefer (1), even though it means less games this year for a young tall.

I like Jack and more often than not he has been worth his spot this year. I don't mind nursing him a bit to 300 in what is a meaningless season. Many others around the league have been nursed there offering significantly less.

If he gets injured then I'd make the hard call.

(1) keep playing him is so that he can hit 300 in our last game and then retire, therefore opening up a list spot for next year; or

(2) drop him for some games now and then retain him next year as depth and notch off the remaining games he needs.

I'd much rather (1).

Of course, the other alternative is to drop him now and delist him at the end of the season. But to be honest I'd still prefer (1), even though it means less games this year for a young tall.

I like Jack and more often than not he has been worth his spot this year. I don't mind nursing him a bit to 300 in what is a meaningless season. Many others around the league have been nursed there offering significantly less.

If he's willing to go on knowing he'll play alot of Wafl next year I have no issue keeping him on given he's contracted. He'll be very handy depth and likely easily get his 300th.

Don't agree with nursing him to 300 this year. He's clearly keeping out a guy we need to get games into in Williams. He is having a crack but it's just more of the same if he's just automatically picked every week

I do think he could be quite useful as a sub however and if we used him that way to get him there this year I'd be less annoyed

I'm not passionate at all about Chessers dropping.
I've even said I hope he makes it.
Unlike you though, I'm just not blindly defending him.

And at this stage, you don't even know if Rotham and Jones are playing.

From what I've seen so far, Darling has more of a chance of kicking two or three goals than Chesser has of having an impact.
Any actual reason you think I’m blindly defending him other? All I have said is the other three should be dropped as well (which is correct).

You refuse to even disagree with that stance which is strange because you have been arguing non stop with me about it.

I'd much rather (1).

From what I've read of Simpson, he wasn't the slightest bit interested in individual player's milestones (eg-Jakes Coleman) nor did he expect the players to be overly interested. He expected them to be focussed on the team thing first.
So I doubt it's on Schofield's mind either...the 300 thing like the credits thing is a bit of fiction that gets repeated so much it's mistaken for fact.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The question that will likely never be answered is would Darling have been dropped this week anyway.

I suspect he might have been

Yes I have a feeling from early in the week pressers that changes were incoming this week regardless.

Darling can go back to the WAFL, let JWilliams have at least 3 games, preferably 5 or so in the key forward / back up ruck role.

Can always limp to 300 next year. Needs to work on the offensive side of the game again.

ooofff Darling dropped.

Is this his first time ?

Yep. Only WAFL game since being drafted was in 2015 when he missed the first half of the season with injury and came back through East Perth.

ooofff Darling dropped.

Is this his first time ?

I think so, yes.

He’s played WAFL before but that was to get match conditioning on the way back from injury before returning to the senior side

Don’t recall him being omitted before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back