Preview Round 18, 2024 : Hawks v Dockers, 1:45pm Sat 13th July, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon we can only play 2 of Gunner/ Breust/ Chad in any given side. With 1 of the 2 playing sub. Moving fwd.

Of the 3, I believe Chad is moving the best, based on recent VFL viewing.

I believe Breust will retire.

Does Gunner get another year due to Lewis ACL?
Does Chad get another year with Breust retiring?

A lot to play out.
What complicates it more is that I really like Harry Morrison as sub, he seems ideally suited to that role.

So if Sam keeps picking Harry as our sub going forward that probably means only one out of Gunners, Bruest and Wingard can play each week.

I think team selection for this weekends game will tell us a fair bit about how that will all work out for the rest of the year.

Club needs to decide whether it is a chance of making finals. Is this the goal or does it use the remainder of the season to take a good look at some players by giving them a run. Season end is coming around pretty quickly and my preference is for the second option so would like to see some players given an opportunity. This would mean that neither Gunston nor Breust would play and Wingard will not be playing AFL this season at least. Not sure what happens to any of them for 2025. I'm afraid the showing against Geelong requires a serious think about these sorts of things. Would not surprise if there are one or two other regular players dropped for the game.

If will day isn’t better than 75% then the answer may already be there inside the ‘four walls’

Sam gettin extended not waiting till season end suggests similar

Dimma Frost Impey
Sic (or Serong) Scrim Amon
Day Newk Mass
Moore Gunston Croc
Wiz Chol Dear (or Rama)
Meek Nash Worps
Weddle Frenchie Ginni (or Bruest) CJ
Ward

In: Sic/Serong, Dear/Rama, Ward and Ginni (if fit)
Out: Lewis, Harry Seamus Bruest (if Ginni is good to go)

Bruest was badly off the pace last week. Harry was solid but need to see what Ward has learned after his prolonged stint at BH. Tough on Shammy but you have to perform better than he did on Saturday.

CJ lucky after some forgettable efforts on Saturday. Stays ahead of Harry due to his superior running power on the wide expanses in Tassie.

Hopefully Dear and Ginni are good to go

Luke Ryan.
Plays deeper in defence (particularly with Pearce out) than a rebounding flanker. His role is very much in the Sicily mould - sit back deep and distribute by foot.

Fremantle’s offensive / rebounding half back is Jordan Clark and he has been playing very well for quite some time.

Asking for a friend, does Freo have that half back rebounding flanker that Finn could play on? Come for Bruest.

Luke Ryan.

Jordan Clark provides more of their run out of defence than Ryan. Ryan gets plenty of footy but I think if Finn plays he tags Clark, out of their defenders.

Freo should like the look of the forecast. It has been bloody cold down here the past couple of weeks.

1720498506196.png

I don't think we need to make wholesale changes to gameplan on the basis of one loss.

I would like to see Finn come in but not for a tag role, at least not to begin with. He should come in more to play the hard working, hard running pressure forward role that Ginnivan has unfortunately vacated. Have my fingers crossed that Calsher is ready to come back as his leading, jumping at everything and the additional pressure really straightened us up.

Besides those changes, we got beaten comfortably at our a-game by Geelong. Out hunted on ground ball in a big way. Bring the mouthguards to training and get that squared back away, more effort needed from all our mids - Jai and Nash in particular. Both had some of their worst ground ball games this season, Jai equal worst with the first Geelong game this year.

How the injuries are coming along will dictate selection.

Ginni I thought was 2-3 weeks after they found the hairline fracture. So I would assume he is unavailable.

Sicily please be back
Dear please be back

The forwardline of Lewis, Gunston, Breust, was too immobile and slow against the Cats. Dear back for Lewis will help resolve this and probably allows Gunston and Breust to play alongside each other again. Just. Haveing said that I would prefer Breust as sub.

IN: Serong, Dear, Wingard, Ginnivan

OUT: Lewis, Breust, Gunston, Mitchell

B: Hardwick, Frost, Jiath

HB: Weddle, Serong, Scrimshaw

C: Amon, Worpel, Day

HF: Ginnivan, Dear, Moore

F: Watson, Chol, Wingard

R: Meek, Newcombe, Nash

INT: MacKenzie, Impey, MacDonald, Morrison, Maginness (Sub)

EMG: Ward, Ramsden, Hustwaite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a poor loss but not nearly as bleak as you make out. Geelong were better equipped for how badly we would play on their ground and outwitted us. Our gameplan won't come unstuck due to ground dimensions for the remainder of the year. I am disappointed that given we had ample time to come up with a plan to cater for the Kardinia dimensions but didn't - but I don't think that erases everything we did in the 2 months prior.
Agree the overall ground dimensions had an impact but the centre circle is the same - where we got our pants pulled down by a backman, an old butcher (although still very strong and experienced), a steeple chaser and a bloke who came with pick 7.

We didn't turn up for whatever reason. And couldn't turn it around during the game.

Freo are in good form - we haven't really challenged a side in good form. Need to prove that we can bring our own pressure when the oppo are going in hard.

I watched Ward at Box Hill last Saturday & he was the standout midfielder. He was brutal in the contest & so explosive coming out of it. Finn not far behind him. The only thing letting him down was his efficiency. Would love to see him come in, but he only really shines at that role. Watching him up close was just ... wow! It's a conundrum. He needs exposure at the level but only on the ball. Jasper got into his own head a bit. His composure will come with time. I'd be worried but excited at the same time if he was selected now.

I watched Ward at Box Hill last Saturday & he was the standout midfielder. He was brutal in the contest & so explosive coming out of it. Finn not far behind him. The only thing letting him down was his efficiency. Would love to see him come in, but he only really shines at that role. Watching him up close was just ... wow! It's a conundrum. He needs exposure at the level but only on the ball. Jasper got into his own head a bit. His composure will come with time. I'd be worried but excited at the same time if he was selected now.
From what I’ve seen Ward is getting alot of it but efficiency really hurting- needs to clean up his kicking if he’s going to force a spot in the side…

Freo are in good form - we haven't really challenged a side in good form.

Don’t entirely disagree but Adelaide had a decent run of form prior to our game. Brisbane had also had a 120-odd point win the week before we comprehensively beat them.

Dear for Lewis
Sicily or Serong for S.Mitchell
Ramsden for Gunston
Ginnivan or Ward for Morrison

Breust as the sub. Jackson could do some serious damage against Nash as the second ruck that is why I would bring in Ramsden. Chol to play deeper.

Freo are short on key defenders hopefully we can stretch them down back.
Jackson will be No.1 ruck. Darcy is out with concussion.

Ideally
IN
Dear, Ginnivan, Sicily,
OUT
Lewis (inj), Morrison, Seamus

Hardwick - Frost - Scrimshaw
Sicily - Weddle - Amon
D’Ambrosio - Day - Jiath
Moore - Chol - MacDonald
Watson - Dear - Ginnivan
Meek - Newcombe - Worpel
Gunston - Mackenzie - Nash - Impey - Breust (sub)
Dewyyyyy this is your post you did say Seamus. Then tl92 replied and it said scrimshaw with scrimshaw in the back pocket?
IMG_4775.png

Dear for Lewis
Sicily or Serong for S.Mitchell
Ramsden for Gunston
Ginnivan or Ward for Morrison

Breust as the sub. Jackson could do some serious damage against Nash as the second ruck that is why I would bring in Ramsden. Chol to play deeper.

Freo are short on key defenders hopefully we can stretch them down back.
Darcy is injured. Pearce is 50/50 to return.
But I agree with bringing in Ramsden if Dear is not fit. Has been paying well and should be next in line.
Reading the latest injury report, Ginni is unlikely and Sic and Dear 50/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back