Review Round 18, 2024 vs Gold Coast SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that’s that then. I wanted to win because top 4 was up for grabs but there is a sense that we are now really close to the end game of this regime with this loss at least.

We didn’t play great, but the main issue is our woeful forward line. We got the ball in enough times to kick a winning score but it was just a mess. We could’ve done with Rioli, instead of him being at the west coast game hanging with his former boys.

Dixon is cooked I get that, his body has just been through too much but far out all the other tall forward options were probably worse than him. Marshall didn’t touch it before he went off, lord kicked a nice goal In the first and barely sighted again, finlayson floated in and out with some nice things but mainly shit things. Who would’ve thought that we would need the guy who missed all of last year with an ACL so much. He is now by far our most important forward.

Some pretty dirty tactics from the suns today, it worked getting them the win but it’s not sustainable, hopefully those two blokes that got jones and evans get the holidays they deserve.

JHF was an absolute disgrace today, this is where Kenny’s lovey dovey father figure coaching is talked up by the media, but his chat with him on the bench did nothing. Jhf continued to play like a sooky brat, obviously whatever daddy said he wasn’t listening to or respecting what he had to say.

Really needed a strong coach and leaders to get him to pull his head in.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It's not that we're losing, it is how we're losing and have been for a decade.

For some reason many are still getting sucked into the week to week. Like Kane Cornes. We limped over the line against the 15th Saints and then played an absolutely horrendous Bulldogs who just failed miserably in their strategy. Those wins build people up to believing again, but it is a false belief. As we're ultimately still fundamentally flawed.

I applaud you for your bravery (or stupidity) in trying to keep supporting a hopeless endeavour, but we're cooked. I just can't invest in this group whatsoever, it's not worth the pain when any hope of success has long been extinguished.

There won't be a miracle top 4, and we won't even make top 8 now.

Suns just followed a pretty standard blueprint. Put pressure on us, sit back with extra numbers, clog up our scoring and try and hit us on the counter, and eventually if you can score a few key clearance goals, most teams will break us down. Suns played a great tactical game, whereas we're just extremely poorly coached.

For some reason many are still getting sucked into the week to week. Like Kane Cornes. We limped over the line against the 15th Saints and then played an absolutely horrendous Bulldogs who just failed miserably in their strategy. Those wins build people up to believing again, but it is a false belief. As we're ultimately still fundamentally flawed.

I applaud you for your bravery (or stupidity) in trying to keep supporting a hopeless endeavour, but we're cooked. I just can't invest in this group whatsoever, it's not worth the pain when any hope of success has long been extinguished.

Suns just followed a pretty standard blueprint. Put pressure on us, sit back with extra numbers, clog up our scoring and try and hit us on the counter, and eventually if you can score a few key clearance goals, most teams will break us down. Suns played a great tactical game, whereas we're just extremely poorly coached.

I think Fox had a graphic at three quarter time that showed 11 of GC's 13 goals came from our turnovers. We just gave them the ball again and again in crucial positions and coughed up goals.

We lost because of poor kicking from players who are good kicks- Farrell, Butters come to mind.

We lost because we picked too many tall forwards and because too many of them were out of form.

We lost because our forward line is a mess- DBJ was hopeless. We cannot go into finals knowing he might produce a game like that.

Some of our players decision making is absolutely diabolical.

Going for the short inwards kick from defensive 50 when they are surrounded by the opposition. Hand passing to a player running past only to hit a dead end and be tackled instantly. Kicking to the boundary when entering the 50.

As horrendous as the players decisions are in making these moves, it all still comes back to having absolutely no structure or game plan to move the ball.

We are disgustingly poorly structured from front to back and it results in players making these terrible decisions as they actually have no idea what they are trying to attempt.

We are beyond a joke of a team to watch and I see better ball movement from the u12s team.

I still think the rest of the comp is nothing special this year, every team has had their inconsistencies. It’s the year for an inconsistent side to surprise in September but yeah it won’t be us.

I still think the rest of the comp is nothing special this year, every team has had their inconsistencies. It’s the year for an inconsistent side to surprise in September but yeah it won’t be us.

We had our chances in 2020 and 2021 when things were also lined up for us and we slipped on banana peels then just as we have over and over again over the last 12 years. Gets a bit repetitive and predictable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lost because of poor kicking from players who are good kicks- Farrell, Butters come to mind.

We lost because we picked too many tall forwards and because too many of them were out of form.

We lost because our forward line is a mess- DBJ was hopeless. We cannot go into finals knowing he might produce a game like that.
butters and farell kicked well today- 77 and 83% disposal by foot, that is incorrect.

i do agree stronlgy on everything else though

Last edited:
He’s a 6-8 possession, 1 goal per game forward almost every week. The difference this year is it doesn’t look like he’s competing hard. Last year you could see him straining every muscle to get to contests and at least halve them. Today and in other games this year, he’s had the Finlayson-Marshall appearance of it all being too hard for him. Gives up way too easily and is far too reactive to his opponent leading him to the ball.
Looks a bit heavy post injury and not as mobile.

I know our coaching staff sucks and it’s clear that a number of tactical things in our gameplan is rubbish, but our players in the review this week need to get a massive spray.

We keep having these games where it looks like we are actively trying to sabotage our season.

The mentality of our players is deplorable. I’ve turned on the players as well. They can get stuffed.

Some of the shit these idiots do should result in fines. I’m sick of this club having zero accountability everywhere. Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah just looking at the ladder backs up all this.
There’s Sydney then it’s a raffle after that.
You could pick a couple of teams to make it and still miss out.

Still can’t work out how the fk our best small forward played for the Magpies on Saturday when we went in with nothing in such an important game on Sunday.

It’s ok with DBJ because we won’t be playing finals.

Got a link.
the footage was the goal Noah Anderson got from the goal square during the 3rd, their 11th goal of the game.

Kingy showed that Rozee was manned on him, but Rozee was literally walking around in the F50 doing nothing.

Kingy also blasted our defenders for walking & jogging 10m behind the ball, allowing GC to have excess free space.

He called JHF a liability now because of his attitude - other teams now know it's easy to get under his skin

I think Fox had a graphic at three quarter time that showed 11 of GC's 13 goals came from our turnovers. We just gave them the ball again and again in crucial positions and coughed up goals.
Against a team who loves playing a forward half intercept game we upped the number of dinky little kicks around our D50. Tactical stupidity at its finest, not something we usually do a lot of and yet when it's clearly failing they kept doing it throughout the game, rather than play their own style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 18, 2024 vs Gold Coast SUNS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back