Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

No mention of the coach lol...

Massive 4 weeks coming up

Meanwhile Nicks needs to start packing his office up and filling out the Centrelink paperwork.

Being based in Melbourne, I have relied on Kayo subscription for access to live Port games. A few years ago that was a pretty good deal because Kayo had a lot of other sport that I was interested in.

But in the past couple of years the value of Kayo has declined sharply. They have increased prices while at the same time getting rid of channels and reducing the range of sport being covered. In addition, I've been having ever increasing technical problems with it, often having difficulty getting it to stream properly to my TV.

Given all that, I've been thinking about getting rid of Kayo altogether at the end of this season and just living without live access. I thought that decision would be a difficult one but I've got to say that Ken and the boys are making it easier and easier with each passing day.
Share a GWS digital membership with a mate and get 12 months worth for $125 each. That way you get cheaper Kayo without putting money in Hinkley's pocket.

You can’t kick you can’t play, you trying to sell a different coach will change all that ? Players who have been missing goals for years will suddenly turn into Pluggers because the new coach will show them the way.
Your dreaming.
All a new coach can do is move them on and replace with someone better.
Willie Rioli kicked goals at 69% accuracy at the Eagles. 63% here.
Charlie Dixon kicked goals at 70% accuracy at Gold Coast. 61% here.
Jeremy Finlayson kicked goals at 67% accuracy for GWS. 53%(!) here.

Just bring in better players, you say? We tried that. We've brought in three of the most accurate kicks in the league over the last few years. Then Ken and his shit gameplan and his mental weakness ruined them.

It's actually a great call but people just don't want to see it.

McEntee gives relentless effort and never shirks the contest - a totally separate discussion from his skill level or lack thereof.

Butters is becoming increasingly conditional in his approach to the contest. He is a player who believes his own hype. He needs to get back to what made him a great player and that was a dog hungry attack on the football and strong effort at every contest. Without that he's an average undersized AFL midfielder with tidy skills and that's about it.

He's had a couple of quiet games and up until this week people were talking about him being in AA contention.
McEntee tries hard but is a completely ineffectual footballer. Get a grip.

Of course good players like Rozee and butters or Marshall playing better will make more impact particularly against weak teams like GWS.

To be ultimately competitive we need our good players playing better and better bottom end players.
Weak teams like gws are scary

Yes Kane, the players don't want it enough.....thats very likely a result of a coach in his twelfth year handing out the same stale message and structure.

His gameplan has always been questionable, but he's always willed the players to go at 1000% to scrape together wins to save his bacon....now that's fading too, Kane, Rooch etc will have to pivot again. How many times have we heard "The players love Ken, they're Kennys boys etc", it's the Kenny apologists 1 wood.

What now.......and really it didn't need to come to this, but the powers that be are chasing their losses.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone asked me the other day, “Do you think Ken has lost the players”?

My initial reaction, “Absolutely he has, the players are now just going through the motions until he’s gone”.

But upon reflection, I think there’s a fair few players on our current list who don’t want him gone. These guys share the same loser mentality as their coach, they lack ambition, they lack fight, they lack discipline, they lack hunger, they lack mongrel, they lack resilience, etc etc.

Yeah, they’ll rock up to training & tick off all the right boxes, they might even play a decent game every now & then, but that’s where it ends. The diehard fans, creating a legacy, respecting the history & the jumper of the club means nothing to them. I mean if our Senior Coach can have a bit of a laugh & a giggle immediately after a bad loss, why not the players?

It’s a really bad culture at the moment, rotten to the core. If it was a marriage, you’d walk away from it.
I think the players are drifting.

The 100% attack by Butters, JHF seems to be going.

Our game plan is balls. Clearly the boys were instructed to hold possession, however the whole game we were seriously doing 15-20m
Passes to a contested situation where the spoil went past the kicker. Even me a footy idiot would know, long to a contest, short only to a free player.

Which means this guys have no creative license to think and are just blindly going down the sinking ship.

GWS looked shithouse yesterday and still did enough stuck in 3rd gear to beat us.

Where’s our run gone? Strong ball use? Long with numbers at the fall? We’re either not fit, can’t maintain fitness or lazy.

Both teams kicked like shit for goal. Xscore. It felt like a bit bigger than a 3.5 goal loss and Xscore confirms a 5 goal loss was about right.

We go from 3.3 late in the first quarter to 3.7 at half time,
kick a goal within 20 seconds of the start of the second half and then
2.8 for the rest of the game, effectively half a game of footy.

Can't win a game of footy kicking for goal like that, especially when the oppo leave the door wide open to pinch it, if we kicked straight.

AFLxScore
@AFLxScore
#AFLGIANTSPower Final xScores:
GWS 71 from expected 89.2 (+2 rushed)
PORT 50 from expected 61.3 (+1 rushed)

1718601975766.png

Especially when the game plan has to be changed mid season.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well the gameplan really changed for 1 week (against Geelong). Then the heat went off them and then seemingly have reverted back to type playing this boring, conservative brand of crap.

Both teams kicked like shit for goal. Xscore. It felt like a bit bigger than a 3.5 goal loss and Xscore confirms a 5 goal loss was about right.

We go from 3.3 late in the first quarter to 3.7 at half time,
kick a goal within 20 seconds of the start of the second half and then
2.8 for the rest of the game, effectively half a game of footy.

Can't win a game of footy kicking for goal like that, especially when the oppo leave the door wide open to pinch it, if we kicked straight.

AFLxScore
@AFLxScore
#AFLGIANTSPower Final xScores:
GWS 71 from expected 89.2 (+2 rushed)
PORT 50 from expected 61.3 (+1 rushed)

View attachment 2022497
Yup, we didn't deserve to win, but we absolutely could have. Marshall, Narkle and JHF all missed decent opportunities thta could have swung some momentum our way. None were easy shots, but you'd expect we score at least one of them

In protest (for one I wanted to cancel 1 of 2 memberships at the start of the year but never heard back from the club, as well as the obvious reasons) I have been avoiding my monthly installments for the last few payments, the club called me today and left a message saying ‘they want to get me on a payment plan to get me to the next home game’

How’s the timing after dishing up what we watched yesterday.
Tell them "look I'll attend if you give me say, $500 a game with a free Zinger Box?"

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen the game and I am very busy at the moment.

All I can say is the reason we've been winning games on our recent run has been the play of Rozee, Butters and more recently, Horne-Francis.

As I said, I haven't watch the game yet and might struggle to but the Three Amigos need to play very well for us to win, well, at least two of them.

At the moment, they are all a bit at sea. It is a combination of bad form, tagging, Wines back in the midfield or they don't care for Hinkley and know the gameplan is useless or they don't care about losing because Hinkley is in a non-contract year. I think watching the game would give me a good clue.

When it comes down to it, you have to have your best players firing.

I haven't seen the game and I am very busy at the moment.

All I can say is the reason we've been winning games on our recent run has been the play of Rozee, Butters and more recently, Horne-Francis.

As I said, I haven't watch the game yet and might struggle to but the Three Amigos need to play very well for us to win, well, at least two of them.

At the moment, they are all a bit at sea. It is a combination of bad form, tagging, Wines back in the midfield or they don't care for Hinkley and know the gameplan is useless or they don't care about losing because Hinkley is in a non-contract year. I think watching the game would give me a good clue.

When it comes down to it, you have to have your best players firing.

This would be the case for most teams though, take out their midfield three and you've usually won the game.

I felt we really struggled in the ruck, Briggs absolutely destroyed Soldo and our mids couldn't react. I've said this before, when we get smashed in the ruck, we invariably lose.

Our mids really struggle and then it's all over.

I dont think the gameplan has changed, we just have no plan B when the oppo plugs the corridor or our ruck gets soundly beaten, both of which GWS were able to do yesterday.
The repeat entries in the F50 have also dried up because our forwards are useless are locking the ball in and they constantly play from behind.
Our game plan looks effective against inferior opposition like St.Kilda and Norf.

Willie Rioli kicked goals at 69% accuracy at the Eagles. 63% here.
Charlie Dixon kicked goals at 70% accuracy at Gold Coast. 61% here.
Jeremy Finlayson kicked goals at 67% accuracy for GWS. 53%(!) here.

Just bring in better players, you say? We tried that. We've brought in three of the most accurate kicks in the league over the last few years. Then Ken and his shit gameplan and his mental weakness ruined them
All game plans are the same when your 30m out straight in front, kick the bloody goal ffs.
Your saying once Ken is gone this exact same list under another coach will be totally different?
This list we have is good enough to win a premiership and all that’s holding them back is the coach?
You seriously believe that?

This would be the case for most teams though, take out their midfield three and you've usually won the game.

I felt we really struggled in the ruck, Briggs absolutely destroyed Soldo and our mids couldn't react. I've said this before, when we get smashed in the ruck, we invariably lose.

Our rucks overall are a bit of an issue.

Not as bad as last year but still some tough questions have to be asked.

Our mids carried us last year into the top 4.
Once they dropped off it was all over red rover unfortunately.
There form has been down this year and that’s why we are struggling most weeks.
If the mids are playing really well we can beat anyone on our day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back