Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

All game plans are the same when your 30m out straight in front, kick the bloody goal ffs.
Your saying once Ken is gone this exact same list under another coach will be totally different?
This list we have is good enough to win a premiership and all that’s holding them back is the coach?
You seriously believe that?

It depends. A gameplan that doesn’t clog the forward line and leave the plodding back six pushed up high to be exploited in behind/1-on-1, would probably result in a general improvement.

By and large we’ve probably entered another phase where the list is now no longer good enough to genuinely contend (see 2019), but the last thing we need is a thirteenth year of Hinkley serving up more of the same after p¡ssing away a dozen years.

I dont think the gameplan has changed, we just have no plan B when the oppo plugs the corridor or our ruck gets soundly beaten, both of which GWS were able to do yesterday.
The repeat entries in the F50 have also dried up because our forwards are useless are locking the ball in and they constantly play from behind.
Our game plan looks effective against inferior opposition like St.Kilda and Norf.

Prior to the Geelong game, there was a directive from the footy department that the game style was going to be adapted to play a much faster, aggressive brand of footy. And we really did see that against Geelong. Then they reverted to type the week after and it's been that same way ever since, despite the intention for this change to be in place for the rest of the season.

The Club's footy department is an absolute shambles and quite frankly needs a broom swept through it all.

Two new Key position players will always take a while to gel in, regardless of who the coach is. They actually started off really well as a unit, but has been chaotic of late.
It was very early days for him obviously but Ratugolea looked like a fish out of water in defence in that preseason night game at Alberton against the crows, and if my memory is serving me correctly Aliir remonstrated with him a number of times at the bowling green end when he was left with two forwards to pick up because Esava had lost his opponent and was 15-20 metres away and out of position.

He did improve later in the game when the tingles rested their regular key forwards and took a couple of strong marks as well, but there has to be a reason why the wheels have completely fallen off Aliir this year, and Ratugolea's decision making, or more to the point the lack of it could have something to do with it.

Prior to the Geelong game, there was a directive from the footy department that the game style was going to be adapted to play a much faster, aggressive brand of footy. And we really did see that against Geelong. Then they reverted to type the week after and it's been that same way ever since, despite the intention for this change to be in place for the rest of the season.

The Club's footy department is an absolute shambles and quite frankly needs a broom swept through it all.
You can still see us trying to do it.

We did it for the first 5 minutes of each half and got easy goals on the lead.

As soon as any pressure comes it falls apart

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was very early days for him obviously but Ratugolea looked like a fish out of water in defence in that preseason night game at Alberton against the crows, and if my memory is serving me correctly Aliir remonstrated with him a number of times at the bowling green end when he was left with two forwards to pick up because Esava had lost his opponent and was 15-20 metres away and out of position.

He did improve later in the game when the tingles rested their regular key forwards and took a couple of strong marks as well, but there has to be a reason why the wheels have completely fallen off Aliir this year, and Ratugolea's decision making, or more to the point the lack of it could have something to do with it.

Yup, Esava simply doesn't know when to go and when to stay. He crashes packs unnecessarily, often taking out his team mates in the process.

The worst is when he leaves his man to impact a contest, doesn't impact a contest, and leaves the free man out the back. (which is something our whole team does, but nobody as bad as Esava)

By and large we’ve probably entered another phase where the list is now no longer good enough to genuinely contend (see 2019), but the last thing we need is a thirteenth year of Hinkley serving up more of the same after p¡ssing away a dozen years.

Even coaches who HAVE won premierships aren't usually safe for very long coming down the other side of the mountain. Hinkley failed to actually make anything of his time in the sun (2020-2021) after being given close to a decade to build up to it. Now we're 2.5 seasons on with a list in decline and it's somehow still 'lay off the guy, he doesn't have the cattle, give him time to get a good enough list together to contend!'. It's genuinely nuts.

Our defense for me consists of mainly guys that try hard but lack real key defense abilities.
May or Moore or Andrews type that holds things together.
There’s no real leadership down back.

Your saying once Ken is gone this exact same list under another coach will be totally different?
Rioli, Dixon and Finlayson have all already proven that under another coach their goalkicking was totally different.

As I said, I don't expect my opinion to be popular and that doesn't bother me.

Butters for me has slowly become more conditional in his approach to the contest. Yes sometimes he flies in like a human cannonball but there are other times when he gets beaten in the contest far too easily.

You look at Callan Ward, that guy is never beaten. He never shirks a contest, he's never second to the ball, he never misses a tackle. That's what unrelenting effort and leadership looks like. Our guys are so far off the pace it's not funny and it's games like this and finals where it is fully exposed for everyone to see.
Callan Ward gets beat plenty one on one. Your also comparing class to an inside bull. Rozee and Butters are Kelly and Coniglio to the giants. Wines/Drew is our Ward. They shouldnt be compared.

Last edited:
You can still see us trying to do it.

We did it for the first 5 minutes of each half and got easy goals on the lead.

As soon as any pressure comes it falls apart

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is what I think too. You can see them execute it early in games but not once the opposition adjusts. That's why we kicked the first 3 goals and 3 for the rest of the game.
Kicked 12 in the first half against Geelong and 3 in the second half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken said the St Vincent Gulf trade winds & narrower dimensions of Adelaide Oval are the main reasons for this statistical anomaly. Are you calling Ken a liar?
Yes.

The best defences are predictable to each other. Player A knows what player B will do, and positions themselves accordingly. Rat is entirely unpredictable which is causing a lot of chaos for everyone else back there. He's got all the tools, but not the smarts. Can he develop into a top defender? Possibly, he's only been in defence for a short period of time in his career.

I've really liked BZT, his defending is excellent most of the time, and he gives his all. Biggest issue with him is i'm always scared when he has the ball in hand, worried he will do something silly.
That's exactly how I see it

Willie Rioli kicked goals at 69% accuracy at the Eagles. 63% here.
Charlie Dixon kicked goals at 70% accuracy at Gold Coast. 61% here.
Jeremy Finlayson kicked goals at 67% accuracy for GWS. 53%(!) here.

Just bring in better players, you say? We tried that. We've brought in three of the most accurate kicks in the league over the last few years. Then Ken and his shit gameplan and his mental weakness ruined them.
Players dont kick at 70% accuracy at goal. Especially not those two bozos. You probably arent looking at total shots

Finlayson went at around 55% for GWS, then it dropped to 50% in his first year at Port, which can be explained away by fatigue doing extra midfield/ruck work.

but in 2023 he dropped to 41%, and 2024 he is at 35%, which is completely ****ed

category > scoring

Finlaysons last 2 years and SPPs entire career are a long way below AFL average

We over rely on the individual brilliance of JHF, Butters and Rozee to win games. All three had off games on Sunday and we didn’t look like winning after our initial burst. We’re a lot harder to beat when all three are on song. Can still remember the Hawthorn the game. Hawthorn were the better team but JHF and Butters both had great games to drag us over the line.

They are our game day barometers

Last edited:
Rioli, Dixon and Finlayson have all already proven that under another coach their goalkicking was totally different.
A post by Tribey on this page takes all the BS out and gives a honest and correct picture of the clubs current position and what a new coach could do with our current list.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

On the back of what we are seeing I'm hoping for it, you can't barrack for a club that is being coached to fail.
As am I. I love it when we win but I am so over the bs that I want us to fall. Which I hope will be the end of Ken and a new beginning of hope at the very least. I think our list is pretty sound. It is the coaching where the major problems are imo.

Kornes blaming the player's fitness - in particular, bagging Rozee for wanting to come off for a spell (lol the bloke hasn't played a game for six weeks)...

Anything to take the heat off Hinkley. Never change Kane, never change..

To be fair, Rioli is proving to be a far more dangerous forward at Port than West Coast.

Might just be because they used him higher up the ground. But he's still kicking more goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back