Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to tell you if the Three Amigos are down on form for whatever reason, we are in for a rough ride for the rest of the year and the pathetic coaching quality of Kenny will be there for all to see.

This would be the case for most teams though, take out their midfield three and you've usually won the game.

I felt we really struggled in the ruck, Briggs absolutely destroyed Soldo and our mids couldn't react. I've said this before, when we get smashed in the ruck, we invariably lose.

Our mids really struggle and then it's all over.
Rozee, Butters and the Hornet played without a decent ruck all of last year and got us to the Preliminary Final.

I mean we had Half a Slyce, Smokin' Sammy Hayes, Brynn "the unruckable" Teakle and young Dante thrown into the Inferno.

Rozee, Butters and the Hornet played without a decent ruck all of last year and got us to the Preliminary Final.

I mean we had Half a Slyce, Smokin' Sammy Hayes, Brynn "the unruckable" Teakle and young Dante thrown into the Inferno.

We didn’t make a prelim

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If you've got a few minutes, have a watch of this.

Now that is the best content I’ve seen from the social team at gws.

Call me old fashioned but this is the sort of stuff I want to see from social media teams of football clubs.

I can do without the immature barbie and Ken crap or taking the piss out of other clubs.

Boak is so past it, its not even funny. 0.11 for goal the whole year. For all the fitness and running hysteria over him, kelly torched him the other way on the wing for both pace and endurance. Boak probably at 185cms and 80kgs got brushed aside by 192cm 100kg tom green like neade was trying to tackle gawn. So much so boak got moved to the forward line. Simply doesnt have the legs and same reaction times to keep up these days. Embarassment he doesnt take the backseat and let lorenz take his spot.

Never seen farrell second guess so much in my life. Its what happens when no one presents up the field

Ken just backing butters to “work through it/go hardery for longery” to break a tag when we have an assistant coach whos brother was legitimately one of our best taggers. Zak looked like a fish out of water had absolutely no idea what to do and no one to help him. No blocks or shepherds at stoppages or getting into a small forward like bedford. Nothing. Nudda

Rozee is probably tired. Just had a kid, an injury where his coach forced him back out there, given skipper when hes got absolutely no idea what hes doing. Probably mental

Ratugolea is also a lost soul, the idea fo him is good but the actual product is so much worse. Just a dumb footballer. Cant teach smarts

I don't remember that Preliminary Final. Did we win?

Call me old fashioned but this is the sort of stuff I want to see from social media teams of football clubs.

I can do without the immature barbie and Ken crap or taking the piss out of other clubs.

You say this like its some new age thing to take the piss out of other clubs?

You're old fashioned. Social media is for funny memes and taking the piss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn’t make a prelim

Sorry, very busy at the moment and my mind isn't on footy.

You understand what I'm saying, though.

The midfield has excelled and played well with basically a net negative ruck all of last year.

I know TeeKray was having a go at the midfield and it is about time to examine that a bit deeper.

If the midfield is not in the mood, we will crash hard. They have borderline held the rest of the team up. Wines and even Drew won't be able to do enough. Even Houston and Farrell seagulling like Bonner in the Prelim [hopefully I get that one right] won't be enough.

We will have very little individual brilliance to win games for Hinkley.

As I've said, I can't put the time in to watch the game but I would've been keen to see the nature of how the Three Amigos played because if they were more in the laziness category then it is possible the team will be done like a dog's dinner. And if that laziness is based on a belief that we will never win games with Hinkley even though he's a nice guy because the White Noise says it, the media is allowed to say it now and the GSW Supporters Group are allowed to mock it, then the players are a part of that and could not want anything to do with it.

I'm a big fan of Rozee and it is early days but his captaincy is not the best start.

If we finish in the 10 to 12 range and we have a hard road ahead of us for the rest of the year it will be a massive indictment on Hinkley as he has all the things he needs but has no idea what to do. But then again, we all know that.

Here's hoping the boys can get some spirit back but I feel like Koch and Hinkley and sucked the life out of the joint like a 2 dollar whore.

Last edited:

The midfield has excelled and played well with basically a net negative ruck all of last year.

I know TeeKray was having a go at the midfield and it is about time to examine that a bit deeper.

If the midfield is not in the mood, we will crash hard. They have borderline held the rest of the team up. Wines and even Drew won't be able to do enough. Even Houston and Farrell seagulling like Bonner in the Prelim [hopefully I get that one right] won't be enough.

As I've said, I can't put the time in to watch the game but I would've been keen to see the nature of how the Three Amigos played because if they were more in the laziness category then it is possible the team will be done like a dog's dinner. And if that laziness is based on a belief that we will never win games with Hinkley even though he's a nice guy because the White Noise says it, the media is allowed to say it now and the GSW Supporters Group are allowed to mock it, then the players are a part of that and could not want anything to do with it.

I'm a big fan of Rozee and it is early days but his captaincy is not the best start.

If we finish in the 10 to 12 range and we have a hard road ahead of us for the rest of the year it will be a massive indictment on Hinkley as he has all the things he needs but has no idea what to do. But then again, we all know that.

Here's hoping the boys can get some spirit back but I feel like Koch and Hinkley and sucked the life out of the joint like a 2 dollar whore.
My gut feeling is we still have a U shaped list.
By the time our midfield is at its prime, our forwards will be shot.

I'm no expert, but don't you want your 24-27 YO group all peaking at the same time?
Who do we have that's going to peak at the same time as our midfield, i.e. in 2-3 years time?
Marshall, Lord and MG? Hopefully some of those talls from in the maggies last week.

Too much is being dumped on our mids atm.
Wines should be the one mentoring the 3 amigos, Wines probably should have been captain for the next 3 years.
I suspect he isn't because thats longer than Ken's tenure.
Wines should be the one who hurts the taggers, but Wines is one of the protected ones.

Our backline has improved imo, but it takes its toll with them still gelling as a unit.
The more I look at Esava the more I wonder if he has Level 1 ASD, but that's possibly way off topic.

Our forward line is still trash, because CD is a black hole that draws all to him, and has stifled the development of the others. The next 3 weeks of development will be telling, as Port must win the next 5 games to make the eight, at least 3 of them without CD.

The first quarter of the giants game was magic, we saw kicking to leads, we saw leads, we saw people taking responsibility.

Then GWS made coaching decisions that removed our element of surprise, and we of course had no plan B.

Very interesting game this week.

Does Finlayson come back, I wouldn't. Does Clurey come back?
Both had good stats in the maggies but imo neither did much until the last quarter.

I'd drop Mac and have Jones, Evans and DBJ up forward with MG, Lord and Marshall.
Let Marshall and DBJ direct traffic.
Give them 3 solid weeks to generate some synergy and confidence.

Must win game this week, dads army will probably be recalled, will the loyalty to them be rewarded or are we in for a winter of discontent as Saving Ken >> development?

The showdown may be irrelevant if the next 5 are not won.
I think that a loss this week ends Port's season.

Please note - this is all being said from an outsiders perspective.
I've only been watching this club play football for 60 years.
I have a long way to go to be a true Port supporter.

Last edited:
That has killed us. Bergman is overated imo. An almost player. Sinn & Jones are flops so far.
Agreed, Bergman is currently looking severely over rated, Sinn was beginning to show some positive signs before he got injured `again,' but given the fuss that was made to draft him he has been completely underwhelming and has looked more like a pick in the 50's than a first rounder, and Jones bull at the gate style where he too often leaves his man and lets the ball get behind him got exposed big time at AFL level.

You do have to wonder as well if Aliir's total loss of form has to be at least partly due to Ratugolea (and Jones) often appearing to have zero idea of the basics required to defend.

Even coaches who HAVE won premierships aren't usually safe for very long coming down the other side of the mountain. Hinkley failed to actually make anything of his time in the sun (2020-2021) after being given close to a decade to build up to it. Now we're 2.5 seasons on with a list in decline and it's somehow still 'lay off the guy, he doesn't have the cattle, give him time to get a good enough list together to contend!'. It's genuinely nuts.

Didn’t he say this was the best list he’s ever had?

Surely that’s inviting scrutiny when you inevitably miss the finals

Nah not this guy

You keep saying your very busy and post massive posts on big footy brah I don’t get it

That’s Hinkley speak!

Rioli, Dixon and Finlayson have all already proven that under another coach their goalkicking was totally different.

We are instructed to lead/kick to the pockets so if by some stroke of misfortune we don't take the mark (lol) we can lock it in against the boundary line for those super duper important repeat 50's.

Now, I'm not genius, but a shot at goal from the boundary line is definitely harder to convert than one from in-front. We are dead last for scoring accuracy (over 6% BELOW the league average). That is not a personnel issue - that is a fundamental flaw in game plan.

He's had a couple of quiet games and up until this week people were talking about him being in AA contention.
McEntee tries hard but is a completely ineffectual footballer. Get a grip.
Yes, McEntee has seven possions.
Include his first where he could not decide what to do when he run too far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 14, 2024 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back