Preview Round 19 2024 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday July 20, 1.45pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, we got the job done against the Tigers. I can’t I say I ever thought we were in serious trouble, but it would have been nice to get a bit more percentage.

On to next Saturday. There’s a couple of statistics that bother me.

The Suns have not won an away game in their last fourteen attempts. They’ve also never beaten us at Homebush. For perspective, we scored our maiden win against Richmond at the MCG today. Winning and losing streaks do come to an end.

Hardwick will do everything he can this week to kill those two birds with one stone. The Suns have got something big to play for, a maiden finals appearance. They performed well against Port this afternoon without Touk Miller, who’s arguably their best player. They’ll turn up for sure.

We’ll be without Coniglio through injury, and almost certainly Bedford after that tackle on Taranto, so let’s have a look at the likely line-up:

[39] Connor Idun, [44] Jack Buckley, [36] Harry Perryman
[6] Lachie Whitfield, [27] Harry Himmelberg, [37] Joe Fonti
[8] Callan Ward, [12] Tom Green, [13] Isaac Cumming
[16] Brent Daniels, [26] Jake Riccardi, [31] Toby McMullin
[4] Toby Greene, [23] Jesse Hogan, [2] Darcy Jones
[32] Kieren Briggs, [20] James Peatling, [33] Xavier O’Halloran
[7] Lachie Ash, [5] Aaron Cadman, [28] Harvey Thomas, [17] Finn Callaghan

I think X would be the ideal replacement for Bedford. Peatling can take Coniglio’s spot. Kingsley might bring back Aleer as he has more experience down back, we'll see.

I really liked the efforts of the young brigade this afternoon – Thomas, Jones, McMullin, and Fonti. They all provide a bit of spark. Jones in particular lay some brilliant tackles on much larger opponents. I also thought Cadman was OK. Surely Riccardi can’t have another shocker in front of goal again, and Tom Green’s disposal efficiency not be 40% for two weeks running?

This is a game of real consequence, one that both clubs must win in order to figure in September. So everyone, please try and bring along a friend or two, we need as many of them as possible.

The whips are cracking, Giants, let’s get the win.

Yes, an absolute must win game for us. This is probably the “easiest” of our remaining 6 games that we have left this season, and in such an even competition (just 2 wins separate teams 2-13), we must win this game at Giants Stadium against a fellow competitor who has never won away from home this season.

However, as stated in Land of Giants’ excellent summary above, I too am wary of Hardwick’s undoubted coaching skills and we have to be switched on - especially as we have trouble playing for the 4 quarters.

Giving us some confidence is that our best AFL winning record is against Gold Coast, and we have a current 3 match unbeaten streak, and won an amazing 12 of our last 13 games against them.

Hopefully, we will retain the “Expansion Cup”!

I have serious worries about the midfield

If cogs is out to join Kelly on the sideline, then we look very thin in an area they look great in

I reckon Bedford runs with Anderson and let Green and Rowell go head to head. Ward might go inside mid to cover Cogs if he's no good. Briggs has struggled against Witts so that's another challenge if he plays.

I have serious worries about the midfield

If cogs is out to join Kelly on the sideline, then we look very thin in an area they look great in
In Kinger's presser he seemed to be saying that Cogs was just a bit sore. But he might’ve just been downplaying it. Cogs certainly didn't look happy on the bench, so I wouldn't be surprised if he misses.

I'm really hoping Beford doesn't get suspended for that tackle. If we still have him and replace Cogs with Peatling I think we'll be alright.

The Expansion Cup!

Mad Glare GIF by Angry Birds

Something to watch for is our crowd numbers this weekend. The record home crowd against Gold Coast at Giants Stadium/ Engie is 8,308 (the record at our Manuka home ground is 10,026). Absent any adverse weather/ trackworks, I think we will break the Giants Stadium record, and may even give the Manuka home crowd record a shake?

In Kinger's presser he seemed to be saying that Cogs was just a bit sore. But he might’ve just been downplaying it. Cogs certainly didn't look happy on the bench, so I wouldn't be surprised if he misses.

I'm really hoping Beford doesn't get suspended for that tackle. If we still have him and replace Cogs with Peatling I think we'll be alright.
He might have been not happy as he didnt want to be subbed out. That is what Im hoping anyway!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Morris believes Toby Bedford may be potentially looking at a 3-week suspension for the tackle on Tim Taranto.

Tom discusses the reasoning in the below interview.

Starts at the 2:05 min mark:

Last edited:
Just watching the replay, Nankervis, Hopper, Tt and a fit Prestia are a great clearance set up, but they are slow and we burned them on the outside.

I think we can handle a Toukless gcs especially when Witt’s must be sore. Bring in XO to crash and bash
Watching the replay without the nerves showed that the Tigers played tough and disciplined. If they kicked straight it would have been a different feeling this week. It was probably better preparation for the upcoming games than a 10+ goal win.

Jon Ralph reporting that Gold Coast may have Alex Davies and Malcolm Rosas be suspended following their game against Port Adelaide.

Gold Coast’s Alex Davies can expect a ban of three or more weeks for his rough conduct tackle on Port Adelaide’s Lachie Jones.

Jones suffered neck soreness and was also diagnosed with concussion after Davies came into a contest and roughly collected Jones when he had his head over the ball.

Gold Coast forward Malcolm Rosas is also likely to be suspended for his elbow to the head of Logan Evans as he ran past the Port Adelaide youngster.

Rosas raised his elbow as he tried to run past him in a bizarre motion given he could easily have stepped around Evans.

Last edited:
MRO findings are in from yesterdays game.

Toby Bedford has been handed a 3 match suspension which will be challenged by the club.

Toby Bedford has been offered a three-match suspension for rough conduct following Sunday's win over the Tigers.

Bedford was charged with rough conduct following a tackle on Tiger Tim Taranto in the final quarter, with the incident classified as careless conduct, severe impact and high contact.

The club has confirmed they will appeal the suspension at the AFL Tribunal.

MRO findings are in from yesterdays game.

Toby Bedford has been handed a 3 match suspension which will be challenged by the club.

Perhaps they can advise how he was supposed to have made the tackle.

Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back