Autopsy Round 19, 2021: West Coast v St.Kilda *SHARMAN DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

We would've won that game with Marshall and Higgins or even Lonie, we really lacked forward targets, Kent, Butler and Long were next to useless up forward.

Not only did they not kick goals they lacked pressure at ground level, West Coast were able to stroll out of their defensive 50 way too easily.

Can't wait to get Gresham back so we can play him up forward, he'll bring the tackling pressure and he can kick goals.
Surely joking about Butler. You must have watched a different game

The difference was the centre bounces. They just killed us in that area mainly thanks to Nic Nat. Every time we scored in the last quarter they would attack through the centre bounce. The midfield was poor today and I think if we'd had Marshall we would have won.

Still a lot of good signs, Max obviously but Butler showed what he was last year, Byrnes good again. Leo didn't do much but what he did was classy..

We've learnt that you need to make the most of opportunities to win because the season can throw up anything, especially a covid year. Losing your most important player because he went out for a beer. Such a bummer.

Basically the many missed opportunities throughout the year will cost us finals, but let's hope we learn from it next year.

The difference was the centre bounces. They just killed us in that area mainly thanks to Nic Nat. Every time we scored in the last quarter they would attack through the centre bounce. The midfield was poor today and I think if we'd had Marshall we would have won.

Still a lot of good signs, Max obviously but Butler showed what he was last year, Byrnes good again. Leo didn't do much but what he did was classy..

We've learnt that you need to make the most of opportunities to win because the season can throw up anything, especially a covid year. Losing your most important player because he went out for a beer. Such a bummer.

Basically the many missed opportunities throughout the year will cost us finals, but let's hope we learn from it next year.

Butler was good but we moved Crouch out for him and played him as an outside mid. He was heaps better but I think we lost the midfield battle decisively. Dunstan had a good first half, I think Steele must have been sat on by Hutchings, he hardly got a touch. Zones was our only good mid.

Butler was good but we moved Crouch out for him and played him as an outside mid. He was heaps better but I think we lost the midfield battle decisively. Dunstan had a good first half, I think Steele must have been sat on by Hutchings, he hardly got a touch. Zones was our only good mid.
I’d be certain crouch was a mid who went back. Butler wasn’t in the middle. Just played up the ground more.

Yep, got a shellacking there. Jones was really good- have to have him firing, speed kills. Crouch didn't get going today regardless of stats. Dunny got found out a bit and Steele was a bit slowish today- The latter two have had a stellar run for a while now though. The good teams have at least 2 other mids to step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ts2Uj6K.gif
He will get a pump up, dont worry about that. Just his contested marking was something to behold. Beat a new guy at full back but thats ok. He has taken good contested marks against the best full backs. I am rapt his kicking was excellent. That will get him 3 goals a game every game if he keeps that up.

Another typical 2021 Saints loss - frustrating as hell.

Do people now see why we need a chb ahead of everything else!!

Ryder looked tired - long year for an old bloke.

All players please take note - if you land it on Max Kings head its a battle for him, if you kick it in front of him its a lot easier

If clubs come looking at Billings, Dunstan or Ross I think we have to bite the bullet and take a draft punt.

The reliance on Marshall is not that he is so good (he is)
But it’s the lack of good depth to cover him.

Also been lacking a 2nd decent sized back all year.

Big contested marking players need to be priority this offseason.

I just don't rate him. Doesn't get enough footy, doesn't have enough impact when he does get it. And he plays in the easiest role on the ground, that running half-forward icing player. We can replace him easily rather than wasting more time on a 26 year old who's hit his ceiling at B grade.
Gets some possessions but not do too much with them... Jones for example, wins the ball, take the game on, can break lines and brings others into the game.. Even Jones i’d say is still B grade, if he is more consistent, will be A grade.. the only A grade player we have is Steele, and maybe Ryder with his ruck work.

Billings 9 kicks 6 HB 0 Tackles
On top of a miss 35 out right in front #leadership

Should be a matchwinner for us, instead he goes missing.

To think we could have taken Bontempelli ahead of him, tough pill to swallow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2021: West Coast v St.Kilda *SHARMAN DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back