Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Yea the Pou’s tackling was on fire. Can’t wait to see him develop into his body. When he starts to crack the disposal milestones watch his confidence skyrocket. Every game it’s about improving. Also as he gets closer to 40-50 games his decision making is gonna get better too.
Mr Hanky still looks like a rabbit in the spotlight at times with the speed of the game. Experience will fix that.

Mr Hanky still looks like a rabbit in the spotlight at times with the speed of the game. Experience will fix that.
Hundred per cent. I think he’ll have a game soon where he puts it all together. At the moment he’ll have a great quarter and then go quiet. Every game though the confidence will build,

We won 5 and lost 10. I refuse to believe that the five whole center clearances was what caused all the problems.

We have to do everything the hard way. Everything thing we do is done by intercept or turn over.

I thought Clark was pretty good earlier in the year, I'm giving him a few more games to show something before binning him.

Was pretty average yesterday no doubt, not on his own though.
I tend to agree. I was very happy with him before his injury. I'm not gonna throw that baby out with the bath water after one poor game.

He was very ordinary though.

I know I probably sound like Dougals mum but what is the problem with him today?

He's played on one of the best forwards in the game today. Note, he's been given the best forward again, like every week.

Here's the run down of Larkeys goals:
1. Dougal slips
2. Battle turns it over in the centre
3. Wilkie high tackle free kick.

Larkey doesn't touch in the second half does he?

Most club supporters would praise a full back that has todays outcome, wouldn't they?
Wilkie played on Larkey in the 2nd half, because Doogs was struggling.

Also Doogs slipped over twice. not once, twice

Will be a laugh watching Michael Christian and Chooklotto again this week.

Corr chooses to run past the ball and bump Hill who ends up in hospital.

2 weeks minimum you'd think - oh hang on - he wasn't concussed - nothing to see here!!!

That was a fair hit.
Unless you want to play touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see Ross going whack on the AFL? Apparently the roof was left open and the ground was really wet underfoot (cause Marvel drains like s**t).

I did think a lot of blokes were slipping and fumbling a lot for a game at the dome.
Was deflection, that’s all it was.

Ross is the, anywhere any time coach so don’t kid yourself it wasn’t deflection.

Was deflection, that’s all it was.

Ross is the, anywhere any time coach so don’t kid yourself it wasn’t deflection.
It might have been a deflection, but he's not wrong.

Leaving the roof open when it's raining is incompetence from the Marvel staff. The ground doesn't drain well and it impacts the conditions the game is played in. We shouldn't have to suck up their poor decisions because we are struggling on field.

I just watched RTB post game media conference, what is most evident is he doesnt hide from our glaring issues - ball movement and our conversion rate re inside 50's. Its obvious they are trying to address both and as they both go hand in hand. After thr game I was questioning why we didnt play another ruckman, but perhaps the ground conditions had an impact on that decision. Having some bigger bodies forward like Hayes or Cordy will make a huge difference, particularly to the small forwards games. We obviously play our best footy when we can mostly go long into F50 and mix up the leading forwards.

At some stage the club are going to have to rest Caminiti and Phillipou and if both Cordy & Hayes are ready then perhaps the game against Hawthorn will give them a chance. Both Goater and McKay had a big intercept games yesterday, so we cant keep allowing that to occur particularly against Hawthorns biggest weapon in Sicily.

Last edited:
Seemed to me we were trying hard, maybe too hard to reignite our offensive run and get the ball moving fast. Players were playing on giving the handball to the runner coming from behind choosing the risky kick into the middle at every opportunity almost the reverse of the last time we played North where it was a defensive stalemate. They kicked almost all their score off our turnovers and the more we did it the more they anticipated what we were going to do.

No doubt that was the instruction from the coaches was just very poorly implemented by the players on the park. To their credit they kept tweaking and got a result in the last quarter with the Marshall forward and Owens and Sinclair on the ball moves. Needed to find a way to score more tried something which mostly didn't work but might have opened a path to a better method for the run home.

Felt to me like that was treated like an experiment

Owens in the middle needs to happen more

Leaving the roof open when it's raining is incompetence from the Marvel staff. The ground doesn't drain well and it impacts the conditions the game is played in. We shouldn't have to suck up their poor decisions because we are struggling on field.
Finally you posted something I agree with.

RTB called it right and that it wouldn’t have happened for fridays game so why do standards drop for us and north.

Totally agree. The way the media is jumping on him for the comment is bizarre. If it was McRae they'd be calling for a royal commission.

I just watched RTB post game media conference, what is most evident is he doesnt hide from our glaring issues - ball movement and our conversion rate re inside 50's. Its obvious they are trying to address both and as they both go hand in hand. After game I was questioning why we didnt play another ruckman, but perhaps the ground conditions had an impact on that decsion. Having some bigger bodies forward like Hayes or Cordy will make a huge difference, particularly to the small forwards games. We obviously play our best footy when we can mostly go long into F50 and mix up the leading forwards.

At some stage the club are going to have to rest Caminiti and Phillipou and if both Cordy & Hayes are ready then perhaps the game against Hawthorn will give them a chance. Both Goater and McKay had a big intercept games yesterday, so we cant keep allowing that to occur particularly against Hawthorns biggest weapon in Sicily.

If RL is talking about ball movement and conversion after yesterday as the primary issue(s), then he was watching a different game to me.

For the 2nd and 3rd quarters, it was about desire and work rate. North wanted the contest more, St Kilda were satisfied to react to what North were doing. The forward line issues are because the forwards weren't working hard enough - they need to run and lead to create space. Their lack of this is what contributes to the lack of space, as the opposition defenders don't need to run to follow the forwards around. The midfield doesn't try to win the ball themselves enough from clearance.

To deal with Sicily, three things need to happen:

• whomever Hawthorn send Sicily to, that player has to run and lead hard
  • those leads must be honoured
  • this play must lead to the genuine threat of score

Sicily is a good natural footballer but no genius. We get him threatened by productively going through his opponent, he'll adjust and the forward line will open up. But it requires thought, application and hard, physical work.

That was a fair hit.
Unless you want to play touch.

Only concerned about what the current rules say.

So does Brad Hill have the ball? Where is Corr looking?

Now Michael Christian may not consistently apply the Tribunal guidelines but at worst its rough conduct, intentional, contact to the body with severe impact - 2 weeks plus

or at best its rough conduct, careless, contact to the body with high impact - 1 week.

1690160648347.png

Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back