Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

My take from yesterday is that our midfield were second to the ball for the first three quarters, and were mainly chasing but too slow in the process- Clarke looked really slow. Gresham and Butler not doing anywhere near enough. Lyon and his coaches need to sort out the forward half mess- the forwards don’t seem to know who is doing what when the ball comes in and there is real reluctance by the forwards, to lead hard the ball.. only saw Roma and Sharman do it in the last quarter
I reckon there is a case of paralysis by analysis.. players can’t decide between natural instincts or following a strict game plan- Lyon needs to let some of these guys play their natural game.

I know I probably sound like Dougals mum but what is the problem with him today?

He's played on one of the best forwards in the game today. Note, he's been given the best forward again, like every week.

Here's the run down of Larkeys goals:
1. Dougal slips
2. Battle turns it over in the centre
3. Wilkie high tackle free kick.

Larkey doesn't touch in the second half does he?

Most club supporters would praise a full back that has todays outcome, wouldn't they?
He’s just in the naughty corner is all.

There's no defending the first three quarters save for the first five minutes.

Kick 3.0 in the first 21 minutes

Kick 1.12 (to 6.4) for the rest of the first three quarters against a team that had lost 15 consecutive games

Then kick four goals in 15 minutes to take an 8 point lead - all four goals from outside 45m.

Kudos to Matt Phillipou - never stopped trying right through the worst period of the match.

I know I probably sound like Dougals mum but what is the problem with him today?

He's played on one of the best forwards in the game today. Note, he's been given the best forward again, like every week.

Here's the run down of Larkeys goals:
1. Dougal slips
2. Battle turns it over in the centre
3. Wilkie high tackle free kick.

Larkey doesn't touch in the second half does he?

Most club supporters would praise a full back that has todays outcome, wouldn't they?

I thought he was good.

Our 2021 draft class is pretty special. They are already impacting games regularly and stepping up in the big moments as 2nd year player.

If we ever achieve something, it will be because of that trio.
Caminiti the same age also.

Those guys could go through and play a lot of footy together.

Just look at how many stand flat footed in the forward 50 when we have someone looking to kick inside. Nobody makes leads. It’s insane.
I was in l1 yesterday around the wing and there were times where Sharman and Mase had space a kick away from the play and they didn't seem to be demanding the ball at all. We seem a very quiet team

Fair point, now give us the replacements of equal quality & same positions.
Butler out for Peris. Peris at least laid some pretty good tackles against the Suns. ( and got more of the ball ).
Gresham out, move Bytel into the inside, which is where he can play.
I didn't actually mind Sharman's game. 3 score involvements while we were struggling to score. And playing in a funny position.
Billings and Clark out for Byrnes and Hotton, or Bring in Coffield , NAS can play midfield.

If Hill is out, we might be scraping the barrel a bit.

So many times Gresham had the ball with space to go i50 and handballed back into traffic because he didn’t want the responsibility to kick cos he knows each one takes dollars off his Carlton contract

Can't have been too many, he barely touched it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started the year with 70% of our salary cap injured.

Haven't had our two main forwards King and Membrey for most of the year. Not going to go through the rest of the injuries as there are so many.

Sitting 6th on the ladder after round 19.

Couldn't care how we win as long as we win.

Get a grip Sainters.

Oh good we fluked our way into 6th, and we should celebrate despite the fact that our prime aged midfielders can't even play "average".

I reckon there is a case of paralysis by analysis.. players can’t decide between natural instincts or following a strict game plan- Lyon needs to let some of these guys play their natural game.
I was listening on ABC and the commentator was basically saying "this player doesn't know what he can do. He knows he's not allowed to kick to the pack so he handballs to his mate and says it's your problem now" and "this looks like a team that doesn't know the fundamentals of how they should be playing the game"

It's true, we seem to overthink and then make panic decisions. But in the 4th when we actually looked like a semi competent team, the shackles came off and we saw both daring play and intensity at the contest that's more fitting of our brand. Wasn't perfect but it gave us the chances to get things done.

There's no defending the first three quarters save for the first five minutes.

Kick 3.0 in the first 21 minutes

Kick 1.12 (to 6.4) for the rest of the first three quarters against a team that had lost 15 consecutive games

Then kick four goals in 15 minutes to take an 8 point lead - all four goals from outside 45m.

Kudos to Matt Phillipou - never stopped trying right through the worst period of the match.
Yea the Pou’s tackling was on fire. Can’t wait to see him develop into his body. When he starts to crack the disposal milestones watch his confidence skyrocket. Every game it’s about improving. Also as he gets closer to 40-50 games his decision making is gonna get better too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back