Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally you posted something I agree with.

RTB called it right and that it wouldn’t have happened for fridays game so why do standards drop for us and north.

The real c grade umpires too.

I just watched RTB post game media conference, what is most evident is he doesnt hide from our glaring issues - ball movement and our conversion rate re inside 50's. Its obvious they are trying to address both and as they both go hand in hand. After game I was questioning why we didnt play another ruckman, but perhaps the ground conditions had an impact on that decsion. Having some bigger bodies forward like Hayes or Cordy will make a huge difference, particularly to the small forwards games. We obviously play our best footy when we can mostly go long into F50 and mix up the leading forwards.

At some stage the club are going to have to rest Caminiti and Phillipou and if both Cordy & Hayes are ready then perhaps the game against Hawthorn will give them a chance. Both Goater and McKay had a big intercept games yesterday, so we cant keep allowing that to occur particularly against Hawthorns biggest weapon in Sicily.
I thought Sharman did really well when he went to McKay. Nullified his influence and made a contest which is all we needed

What was with the Marvel Stadium guy reading the players names and number out before the match? Sounded half asleep with absolutely zero enthusiasm. In fact it was actually embarrassing in front of other teams supporters.

Our whole match day experience is pretty lame compared to other clubs as it is and I’m sure it contributes a little to the ordinary crowds.

Pay a fortune for level 2 ultimate membership for myself and the family and we get squashed into the tiniest function room like sardines and never have anyone from the club or anywhere of note do pregame talks etc. Hopefully they still do that in the Victory Room on Level 1 which in fairness I haven’t attended this year.

If RL is talking about ball movement and conversion after yesterday as the primary issue(s), then he was watching a different game to me.

For the 2nd and 3rd quarters, it was about desire and work rate. North wanted the contest more, St Kilda were satisfied to react to what North were doing. The forward line issues are because the forwards weren't working hard enough - they need to run and lead to create space. Their lack of this is what contributes to the lack of space, as the opposition defenders don't need to run to follow the forwards around. The midfield doesn't try to win the ball themselves enough from clearance.

To deal with Sicily, three things need to happen:

• whomever Hawthorn send Sicily to, that player has to run and lead hard
  • those leads must be honoured
  • this play must lead to the genuine threat of score

Sicily is a good natural footballer but no genius. We get him threatened by productively going through his opponent, he'll adjust and the forward line will open up. But it requires thought, application and hard, physical work.

Agreed the effort was poor for 3/4, but I think he was talking about reward for effort. When the players arent getting it the frustration sets in and the effort drops off. The commentators mentioned it a number of times how poor our defensive running and tackling were.

RTB mentioned we went from 70% play on and forced handballs to going too slow. He said the team needs to find the balance. When we moved quickly we had silly turnovers and then slowly it allows opposition teams flood back into our F50.

Players like Sicily dont care if their opponents lead up at the ball outside D50 he backs himself to win the next ariel contest. Even when Caminiti did lead up against Hawthorn the Sicily forced him under the ball and marked it. Hopefully some bigger bodies will prevent this from reoccurring. Im sure they will attempt a strategy to lesson his effect on this weeks game.

Ross in his presser flagged Hayes and Cordy returning this week.

🙏

Please can we have some genuine senior bodies in our front half and to alternate with Marshall.
If Hayes and Cordy are what we’re pinning our hopes on then we’re in all sorts. It’s not personnel IMO, it’s system and has been all year. Based off 14 years of coaching Ross doesn’t know offense and he needs to bring in someone that does.

Was just looking at our team that played on the weekend. We couldn’t have been much older than north could have we? Put things into a little more perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO Sicily will get Corderized by Cordy on the weekend
Corderization:" an attempt to mitigate bleeding and damage, or minimize other potential harm, such as letting Sicily take 19 ****en intercept marks"

If RL is talking about ball movement and conversion after yesterday as the primary issue(s), then he was watching a different game to me.

For the 2nd and 3rd quarters, it was about desire and work rate. North wanted the contest more, St Kilda were satisfied to react to what North were doing. The forward line issues are because the forwards weren't working hard enough - they need to run and lead to create space. Their lack of this is what contributes to the lack of space, as the opposition defenders don't need to run to follow the forwards around. The midfield doesn't try to win the ball themselves enough from clearance.

To deal with Sicily, three things need to happen:

• whomever Hawthorn send Sicily to, that player has to run and lead hard
  • those leads must be honoured
  • this play must lead to the genuine threat of score

Sicily is a good natural footballer but no genius. We get him threatened by productively going through his opponent, he'll adjust and the forward line will open up. But it requires thought, application and hard, physical work.

They don't send Sicily to anyone.
He runs to the drop of the ball.
The other defenders block the forwards from getting there.

If Hayes and Cordy are what we’re pinning our hopes on then we’re in all sorts. It’s not personnel IMO, it’s system and has been all year. Based off 14 years of coaching Ross doesn’t know offense and he needs to bring in someone that does.

How can it not be both?

We have an under acheiving midfield, a solid defence and very young/inexperienced forward line. Caminiti has been huge but he is only a kid and gets man handled by the stronger defenders. Cordy and Hayes are big bodies and not readily moved off the ball and at worst bring the ball to the ground. It allows the team to move the ball much quicker and kick long to a contest which puts defences under pressure and brings our small into games.

The other thing is I believe Hayes will prove to be a much better player than people remember. If he can get up and going before the seasons end he and King returning will go a long way to helping us qualify for finals.

What was with the Marvel Stadium guy reading the players names and number out before the match? Sounded half asleep with absolutely zero enthusiasm. In fact it was actually embarrassing in front of other teams supporters.

Our whole match day experience is pretty lame compared to other clubs as it is and I’m sure it contributes a little to the ordinary crowds.

Pay a fortune for level 2 ultimate membership for myself and the family and we get squashed into the tiniest function room like sardines and never have anyone from the club or anywhere of note do pregame talks etc. Hopefully they still do that in the Victory Room on Level 1 which in fairness I haven’t attended this year.
The Victory Room is like a morgue after the game. There is nothing happening there other than overpriced drinks. Security don't bother checking the passes. After the Melbourne game a group of about six obvious Melbourne fans just waltzed in no questions asked. It's sad when you can remember the social club post match at Moorabbin.

That's what the afl app. Wilkie the only other Saints player without 1, which is understandable. Even Doogs was up and about for a few

Butler didn't even lead in his customary " pressure acts".
He had 12. Billings had 13. Gresham had 14. Bytel and Sharman had 15. Caminiti had 16.

Saints hard man Zak Jones with 2 contested posessions💪 he did get a few clearances to his credit. Interesting why clearances aren't counted as contested possessions 🧐

Who said we are pinning our hopes on Hayes and Cordy? They are 2 of 25 in a team. It helps team structure but they aren't Bont and Hawkins, we all recognise that.
Hayes can rotate forward with Marshall, chops out in the ruck, frees up Owens etc, Cordy can play back or forward. But go ahead and tell us we are kidding ourselves that they are superstars if it make you feel good.

Like that Ross singled out Hill for not shirking the hit and that he would have preferred for him to jump out of the way. It was good of Hill and hope it quells the comments of him being soft and weak. He is not supposed to be the hard man, but took his shot and got whacked hard.

There was a young guy on level one near the cheersquad that didn't stop chanting the whole game, credit to him because some of the people around us were as flat as biscuits most of the game, and I don't blame them. What a stinker

Yea the Pou’s tackling was on fire. Can’t wait to see him develop into his body. When he starts to crack the disposal milestones watch his confidence skyrocket. Every game it’s about improving. Also as he gets closer to 40-50 games his decision making is gonna get better too.

I’m glad to hear others see this because I’m a pretty amateur observer of the game and every time I see him on the screen he looks out of his depth. Nice to hear there’s more I’m not seeing!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2023: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back