Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Saints v Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if Jones can stay within that wheelhouse that was game on Saturday and stay on the park for the rest of the year he may be worth keeping for another year over what you’d imagine would be pretty much nothing in trade value.
Agreed. The challenge is to name 6 players to remove from the list at end of season.
Does Allison get another year? Hotton? TC? Gus?
What about Max Hall, and which Zebra gets listed? Things are getting very tight so they'll have to get pretty ruthless.

Agreed. The challenge is to name 6 players to remove from the list at end of season.
What about Max Hall, and which Zebra gets listed? Things are getting very tight so they'll have to get pretty ruthless.

If Allison didn't get picked this week and then stunk up the VFL then I think he's cooked.

Hotton another looking like not up to the grade.

If they’re serious about rebuilding then Membrey, Jones and Ross will all probably be gone. Maybe one of Jones or Ross remains for some depth, assuming they are ok with playing a majority of the season in the 2’s. Allison, Hotton and Gus most likely gone too.

If they’re serious about rebuilding then Membrey, Jones and Ross will all probably be gone. Maybe one of Jones or Ross remains for some depth, assuming they are ok with playing a majority of the season in the 2’s. Allison, Hotton and Gus most likely gone too.
Nah I'd back Gus for another year. He's been on a linear trend of improvement all year and he's been named emergency past couple of weeks so clearly the coaches see that too. Really good 1v1 defender and intercepts well, hopefully he debuts soon

Alison, Hotten, McLennan, TC, Ross, Hayes, Paton would all have to be up for consideration.
I’d move Cordy on Tbh but I think he has another year.
Sounds like Crouch is a worry but he’s triggered another year.

Cut - TC, Allison, Paton, Hotton, Hayes, Jones. With Battle likely gone, thats probably 7 changes which is solid enough. Membrey and Ross are both situation dependant on what else is available and how inexperienced we might end up if it's only potential draftees filling those spots.

Pretty sure Hall was drafted on an 18 month contract.

Reckon the Sandy player is down too Hugo Hall-Kahan, Darby Hipwell or maybe Blake Watson at this stage.

It’s actually a pity we weren’t smart enough to plant a young ruck at Sandy under TCs guidance. Get TC to play only half the season. Use the rookie position to bring them in.

Too early to put a line through Hotton IMO. This was effectively his first year, after being mostly injured last year.

Deserves 1 more year. We need to see if he can play full time mid. His clearance work was rated highly as a junior.

My big takeaway from today’s game is that Sharman must play seniors from now on . He can lead , he can mark , he can kick from 50 easily, he tackles or at least puts pressure on his opponents. His confidence seems to be improving. And next season he will give us another option , along with Membrey , rather than just kicking long and high to King all the time . He is going to be a hard player to match up on for other teams especially if their focus is all on King .
I would like to see these young players getting a start , even on the bench , rather than being a sub all the time .
And pisses Cairnsman off

Harley Reid swung his leg unnaturally behind Henry in the tackle which may have been the cause, may not. But it was odd leg positioning not sure if anyone else noticed? Almost Judo-like. My kids do it so I recognised it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reid shouldn’t have been tackling him in the first place the little prick.

Cut - TC, Allison, Paton, Hotton, Hayes, Jones. With Battle likely gone, thats probably 7 changes which is solid enough. Membrey and Ross are both situation dependant on what else is available and how inexperienced we might end up if it's only potential draftees filling those spots.

Pretty sure Hall was drafted on an 18 month contract.

Reckon the Sandy player is down too Hugo Hall-Kahan, Darby Hipwell or maybe Blake Watson at this stage.

I think this is pretty close but I can't see Hotton going, it's only his second year in the system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might seem like recency bias but if I’m keeping one of Jones, Ross and Membery it’s Membery for sure. The midfield still has Steele and Sinclair in there as leaders, Ross and Jones have their moments but I’d rather Pou, Windy, Garcia and Owens had their midfield minutes. When Membery isn’t around King is pretty much expected to carry most of the forward load by himself and it just wasn’t working.

I feel bad for talking about King still, but our other forwards as well as our midfielders are so aware of King when he is there. When he misses, we are multidimensional up there. I don't believe the notion that we just don't give him decent service - we just need to learn how to play with him in the team.
He has to play as a chop out ruck. We are not so concerned now if he gets an injury so there is no reason not to. Then he can travel down and set up forward and switch with Marshall.

Thoughts:

• Good to see Membrey do that
  • Did everyone notice how many teammates got around Battle when he kicked his goal?
  • At least one of our more mature borderline delist options will get another year
  • A second quarter kicking clinic from Cooper Sharman
  • Worth pointing out how selfless Brad Hill is. During the game nothing was about him, all the team.
  • Higgins set the tone with his chasing and tackling. Great to see him do that too, he's been better every season at the club
  • A number of poor turnovers by Steele and NWM, but no mention of them on the socials. As soon as #36 misses a target by an inch #tired
  • Good to see Owens get around the ball too. Being second ruckman is good for him, not so sure long term for the team

Jones has been utterly woeful for the better part of two years, I'll be concerned if we persist with him off the back of a couple of good games. Let's not forget that West Coast were equivalent to a bush league seconds side.

67-37 inside 50's FMD

Jones has been utterly woeful for the better part of two years, I'll be concerned if we persist with him off the back of a couple of good games. Let's not forget that West Coast were equivalent to a bush league seconds side.

67-37 inside 50's FMD
So 67-37 inside 50s (less than 2-1) but 113 to 41 score (closer to 3-1 than 2-1)

What would an acceptable score be? This was our biggest win since Round 6 2017.

WEST Coast's Liam Ryan and Collingwood defender Brayden Maynard have avoided suspensions.

Ryan caught St Kilda's Liam Stocker high during the Eagles' heavy loss to the Saints at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

The Match Review Officer looked at the incident but said Ryan did not elect to bump, with no further action taken.”

Paddy Ryder says hi.

So 67-37 inside 50s (less than 2-1) but 113 to 41 score (closer to 3-1 than 2-1)

What would an acceptable score be? This was our biggest win since Round 6 2017.
I thought we were pretty good, can only beat who's in front of you.

The inside 50 tally shows how bad west coast are, we had over 20 at quarter time which is unheard of for us.

Thoughts:

• A number of poor turnovers by Steele and NWM, but no mention of them on the socials. As soon as #36 misses a target by an inch #tired

Because NWM is the future and Steele has runs on the board. Because they both get involved doing the tough stuff tackling and defending. Because they aren’t keeping a young promising player out of the team. Because bonner turns it over 9/10 kicks.
Bonner streaming into the forward 50 under no pressure burns players and turns it directly over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 19, 2024: Saints v Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back