Game Day Round 19 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 20/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watching the Hawks today, they're going to be hard to beat next week, in our current form.
They like the uncontested ball, and they're quick. I think they were around 200 uncontested possessions and they are very good in contented situations too. They like to change angles of the ball movement which has caused us issues with Essendoom and Cats.....
They use the ball so well and love the contested stuff so it just makes for a long afternoon for us. They have huge belief and when you watch their young players after the game it's clear they are a very close unit who can feel something building. I fear next week might be a blowout.

They use the ball so well and love the contested stuff so it just makes for a long afternoon for us. They have huge belief and when you watch their young players after the game it's clear they are a very close unit who can feel something building. I fear next week might be a blowout.
They are very inconsistent, and remember that this game was in Tasmania.
If we succumb to a blow out, it means that the team has well and truly given up. I refuse to believe that.

Out: Lipinski
In: Macrae.

Like-for-like, except Macrae has better handball skills.

Both can’t tackle, can’t mark overhead, have no pace, and poor decision making under pressure. And Lipinski has been poor all year.

Both can’t tackle, can’t mark overhead, have no pace, and poor decision making under pressure. And Lipinski has been poor all year.
He had some good games earlier in the season. Was looking more like his 2022 pre shoulder injury self.

I want him in the midfield getting quick handballs to Nick. I actually think Lippa has quick hands. His handballs are sometimes a bit too hot for his teammates. Nothing is too hot for Nick!

Macrae has been tried and tried again. He’s not replacing Lippa.

Lippa is miles ahead of macrae. Just no. Macrae was well beaten in the vfl today by Geelong vfl mids.

He had some good games earlier in the season. Was looking more like his 2022 pre shoulder injury self.

I want him in the midfield getting quick handballs to Nick. I actually think Lippa has quick hands. His handballs are sometimes a bit too hot for his teammates. Nothing is too hot for Nick!

Macrae has been tried and tried again. He’s not replacing Lippa.
Lippa doesn’t tackle, and is super slow. And panicked when in a pack.
And poor decision making. At one point last night, he was 10 metres away from everyone, ball on the floor. What does he do? Decides to play soccer.
He has had one good game. Last year’s GF.
he has had way more chances than Macrae this year, and has been equally poor.

Lippa is miles ahead of macrae. Just no. Macrae was well beaten in the vfl today by Geelong vfl mids.
Lippa has been beaten in every game this year.
He is slow, and can’t defend.
He is great at running on the outside all day.
He should enter the Olympics in distance running.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our issues are between the arcs. Even with a makeshift forward line made worse with the loss of Schultz we still scored at a better rate than the cats. When we got it there we scored at just over 1 from every 2 entries. 21 scoring shots from 41 entries. But no forward line is going to kick a winning score from 40 inside 50’s

Our continued issue is the supply into our forward line and the amount of inside 50’s we are conceding. As bad as Moore and co have seemed, the ball is living in our defensive arc and no clubs defence would handle it.

Midfield has been and is our issue. But there’s no way to fix it as we don’t have the cattle. 16 to 6 centre clearances.

We all saw what happened in the first 2 minutes. That was the game in the end. 3 goals…

Mitchell back might help a little. But we are just lacking cattle. And unfortunately our depth of macrae, Sullivan, long etc just aren’t up to it. they are depth. No top picks in recent years have meant we’ve lacked the capacity to grab another elite mid to help daicos. Degoey has had an interrupted season and lacks fitness. Can’t help that.

And as is well established, the guarding of grass and just allowing Oppo teams to start the game outside our 50 arc needs to end. But that required an off season to change our setup. The risk and reward game style we’ve been playing I think has almost run its course. We are just far too easy to score against on turnover.
We won HO’s 64-22, that’s a domination.
The fact we couldn’t set up to win more clearances accordingly is the massive conundrum.
It’s more than just personnel. Stoppage setup and Ruck strategy needs work.
Mitchell is slow but was a master at halving clearances and denying the opposition easy exit from stoppage.
We need to find a clone.

Last edited:
Lippa plays a forward role, and we know what our entries have been like. Its not the role macrae plays, so its not a like for like lol
He's not the only one thats been down lately. But he hasn't been that bad. Just the last two. Kicked 14 goals for the season and 13 out of 18 games he's had 20 or more disposals.

He's been one our most improved this year, along with Cameron. He does the stuff that gets unrewarded but very valued behind closed doors, which is why fly loves him
There are a dozen players you could drop before him.

B Q Frampton Bruz
HB Noble Moore Nick Daicos
C Josh Daicos Pendles Sidebottom
Foll Cameron DeGoey Crisp
HF Lipinski Kreuger Hll
F Elliot McStay McInness
I/c. Richards Harrison WHE Long
Sub Sullivan

This team, surely, should be able to get it done.

Lippa plays a forward role, and we know what our entries have been like. Its not the role macrae plays, so its not a like for like lol
He's not the only one thats been down lately. But he hasn't been that bad. Just the last two. Kicked 14 goals for the season and 13 out of 18 games he's had 20 or more disposals.

He's been one our most improved this year, along with Cameron. He does the stuff that gets unrewarded but very valued behind closed doors, which is why fly loves him
There are a dozen players you could drop before him.
I'm not sure most improved. Cameron and Naicos are the only 2 that i can see that have improved.
Wilbur also has surprised me, and he has been terrific this year as well.
Everyone else has been below last year, whether because of injuries, or the load they carry to cover injuries to others.

I haven't seen anything that Lippa has done this year, that i can say, great play Lipps.
Not one chase and tackle, not one "hard-ball get", not one superlative foot pass, not one great contested mark. (In fact, his stats say he has had ONE contested mark this year. One.) As a forward, and his size, i would have hoped he would have a few more.

But, my biggest issue is that he is so slow. I know you have a lot of time for him Jen, but i am venting and he is one that i would have hoped would continue his form from the GF last year. He has not in my eyes.

They are very inconsistent, and remember that this game was in Tasmania.
If we succumb to a blow out, it means that the team has well and truly given up. I refuse to believe that.
Inconsistent? Other than last week they have been on a 6 game winning streak and the only loss before that was by 1 point!

I'm not sure most improved. Cameron and Naicos are the only 2 that i can see that have improved.
Wilbur also has surprised me, and he has been terrific this year as well.
Everyone else has been below last year, whether because of injuries, or the load they carry to cover injuries to others.

I haven't seen anything that Lippa has done this year, that i can say, great play Lipps.
Not one chase and tackle, not one "hard-ball get", not one superlative foot pass, not one great contested mark. (In fact, his stats say he has had ONE contested mark this year. One.) As a forward, and his size, i would have hoped he would have a few more.

But, my biggest issue is that he is so slow. I know you have a lot of time for him Jen, but i am venting and he is one that i would have hoped would continue his form from the GF last year. He has not in my eyes.
Then you haven't been watching clearly. He's prob top 5 in our copeland atm. He's had a much improved year from 2023. Tackling harder, where no longer concerned about his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back