Game Day Round 19 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 20/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McStay IN!!
Reef full game

Consider bringing Bytel in again
Maybe give DeMattia a go as sub

I’m almost wanting to see Big Roo get a go. He’s just so green. I like him.

True But when Lippa Pendles and Crisp get about 30 touches collectively for the night you know things are crook in Tullarook. It is like our midfield has concrete in their boots
Lippa didn’t attend a single centre bounce. He’s a part of the forward group that’s getting hung out to dry from lack of supply.

Lippa didn’t attended a single centre bounce. He’s a part of the forward group that’s getting hung out to dry from lack of supply.
He’s got quick hands. I’d put him at centre bounces to try and extract to Nick.

Nick needs help. He can’t do both inside and outside mid at the same centre bounce. We’re going to burn him out.

Listening to Fly's presser, he seemed to be suggesting that we allowed Geelong to play uncontested mark to mark because they weren't getting anywhere by doing so. It seems like we are playing according to a theory that allowing some uncontested possession is Ok, as the opposition is not achieving anything by doing so if we position ourselves correctly. This might have a limited degree of truth, but clearly it needs to be balanced by front on pressure and man to man where necessary. It seems like we are not understanding the balance.
Sounds like a relegation battle soccer club tactic.

Listening to Fly's presser, he seemed to be suggesting that we allowed Geelong to play uncontested mark to mark because they weren't getting anywhere by doing so. It seems like we are playing according to a theory that allowing some uncontested possession is Ok, as the opposition is not achieving anything by doing so if we position ourselves correctly. This might have a limited degree of truth, but clearly it needs to be balanced by front on pressure and man to man where necessary. It seems like we are not understanding the balance.

I watched the presser this morning. He did say they didn't achieve much for large parts, but he did suggest maybe it wore the players out chasing their kicks.

The first three goals in 2 mins was essentially the margin, which Fly said as well. Take that start away and it's probably a different game.

There's still hope for us. It's not like we were dominated, it was just a -3 last quarter that shafted us.

Our main concern is centre clearance. The only way to fix that is to enhance pressure and really just hope that Cox and Mitchell can return sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it interesting to look out our depth, and also assess how those injured best 23 players have been covered.

Howe replaced by Markov
Cox replaced by Richards (Richards giving up a fair few cms there)
Mitchell replaced by Long (who does not get the clearances nor the tackles that Mitchell gets)
Mcstay replaced by Reef (who only plays 30 mins a game being sub all the time
Mcreery replaced by Harrison (Harrison not that bad, but Mcreery
Mihocek replaced by Krueger

Are we really that surprised by the results we have been getting? I really don’t think we have cover for these players, let alone the roles they play in the team

They said McStay won’t play but Reckon he could

Our Season on the line now
Big difference between 40 minutes of VFL and playing in a virtual elimination final.

I’m in the camp of easing mcstay in… he’s too important to lose again

Reef should get a full game… rotate in and out of the middle like they did with young de Goey

Macrae and Bytel’s VFL form deserves a game ON THE BALL… if they are going to play them elsewhere, then don’t bother selecting them

Really not much else in the cupboard

Other players either injured or too green in TJ, Di Mattia, Allan

It’s only a problem if holding on to them didn’t result in a premiership. But it did…. and those two in particular were integral to that when it mattered

Steele still easily best 22 and has another year in him, maybe as a super sub rather than destroying careers of the likes of McInnes and macrae by playing them as sub too often and never giving them a fair crack.

starting to worry about Pendles though.

But list decisions are for another thread.

My comment was a bit of a throwaway line. I love them both, as do we all. But the fact that they’re still easily best 22 is a worry. They should be under selection pressure from a plethora of young, hungry, wannabe midfielders but sadly that’s not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back