Game Day Round 19 vs. Hawthorn, MCG, 4:35pm Saturday 20/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing in McStay reeks of desperation. I can’t see it ending well, no conditioning whatsoever. Is Howe even fit?

Hawks will come to play against us, it’s their grand final…will be a tough game.

Not sure I agree on the desperation call

Many of us thought he’d be back by July/August given he did the knee Dec 1, 2023

The whole “12 months” thing isn’t always literal. Many players come back well before 12 months.

Most here will know that I fairly frequently air my concerns about players being brought back early in 2024.

I don’t think we’re bringing McStay back early.

Many of us thought he’d be back by July/August given he did the knee Dec 1, 2023

The whole “12 months” thing isn’t always literal. Many players come back well before 12 months.

Most here will know that I fairly frequently air my concerns about players being brought back early in 2024.

Agree CoD. I have full confidence in our rehab team. They would not call Dan ready to play unless he was. As you say, there are many examples of players reaching healing thresholds and targets ahead of the average time milestones.
We ain't bringing him back early.
He will be an amazing addition in terms of our structure. His presence represents a legitimate extra tall target, which then gives Kreuger the second best defender, and with these two (and McInnes who will also be in the mix), we will have the means to hold Hawthorn accountable in the air in their defence - and thumping the ball to ground, where we have two elite small forwards, (Bobby and Jamie) along with Joe R, who as we know has so much talent and potential.
I think we will make a statement tomorrow. Part of that statement will be: Hawthorn is no bogey team for the Pies. The other part will be: we ain't givin' up on finals just yet.

Agree CoD. I have full confidence in our rehab team. They would not call Dan ready to play unless he was. As you say, there are many examples of players reaching healing thresholds and targets ahead of the average time milestones.
We ain't bringing him back early.
He will be an amazing addition in terms of our structure. His presence represents a legitimate extra tall target, which then gives Kreuger the second best defender, and with these two (and McInnes who will also be in the mix), we will have the means to hold Hawthorn accountable in the air in their defence - and thumping the ball to ground, where we have two elite small forwards, (Bobby and Jamie) along with Joe R, who as we know has so much talent and potential.
I think we will make a statement tomorrow. Part of that statement will be: Hawthorn is no bogey team for the Pies. The other part will be: we ain't givin' up on finals just yet.

I just hope all Collingwood supporters keep their expectations in check on Dan's performance

He's not going to dominate and we shouldn't expect him to.

If he can get some touches, find confidence in his body and hit some contests without being outmarked it would be huge. Anything above that is a complete bonus.

I expect the crowd to absolutely erupt if he takes a clunk or kicks a goal. Can't wait.

I just hope all Collingwood supporters keep their expectations in check on Dan's performance

He's not going to dominate and we shouldn't expect him to.

If he can get some touches, find confidence in his body and hit some contests without being outmarked it would be huge. Anything above that is a complete bonus.

I expect the crowd to absolutely erupt if he takes a clunk or kicks a goal. Can't wait.
yes, he will have an assigned role, and it will be exactly suited to his current physical capacity.
His presence gives our forward line the structure it has lacked so long.
It is not so much about his physicality: it is just as much about his running to create space and ground ball for our small forwards to run onto, and diverting opposition defence resources.
Clunking a few will be icing on the cake.
Me too, I can hardly wait.

Yeah. Legitimately surprised how much that got to me

God I f**king hope Mac’s return is the turning point of our season

It’s absolutely f**king cruel that he’s not a Premiership player. He’s the reason we got there and he deserves that medal.

Genuinely hope this is the turning point.

Just hope the supporters don’t expect too much from his first few games back and keep expectations in check.

Great insights into Dan as a person. Seems a tipping bloke.

His comments about how long it took him to learn to effectively play our method/style after so long at his previous club are insightful - and arguably good reason to give Schultz a decent amount latitude and patience, too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Outside of Reef I hope we start Long in the 22.

He's coming up against the side who delisted him so if he's looking for any extra motivation there it is.

I actually hope Fly has set him the task of going head to head with one of the Hawk mids (Nash?) who Mitchell ultimately thought was a better prospect.

Outside of Reef I hope we start Long in the 22.

He's coming up against the side who delisted him so if he's looking for any extra motivation there it is.

I actually hope Fly has set him the task of going head to head with one of the Hawk mids (Nash?) who Mitchell ultimately thought was a better prospect.
Absolutely. I think Reef and Ned both start in the 22, with Sullivan as the sub.

We need to roll the dice, we are desperate for a key focal point and this is why we went and got him to the Club. We are more in need having lost Checkers. We get over Hawthorn and then Richmond, the fast tracking of McStay looks much better and he has a few games into him at the level.

We need the focus on Hawthorn and we need to bring it. I think we win this and we gather some momentum against The Tigs. Its do or do not time. We are at the pointy end sooner than we thought.

Pies by 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like the last three-four games have been ‘backs to the wall’ games for us. So here we go again.

Of course I think we’ll win. Otherwise I wouldn’t get out of bed on Game Day. And I’m predicting a return to our best form when we have multiple goal kickers.😍

Hawthorn have toppled some good teams recently, no question. But this game seems to be the first where they’re widely expected to win. They’ve spoken publicly about how much they’ve anticipated today’s game in particular. Young teams often falter in games like these - we have to come switched on at the outset and put some early doubts in their mind.

If the club is serious about making finals they seriously need to show up today. I’m hoping for more leadership from Moore too. Won’t be easy, hawthorn are looking good at the moment and we can’t afford to get off to a bad start. Need to start seeing a solid 4 quarter effort.

Let’s get down to business boys, it’s starts with you.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Re: desperation call.

Dan is so important to our FWD structure and on paper with Freddy there but no Checkers / Cox or a recognised tall marking forward to come in ... coz Reef aint reliable, Ash is AWOL and Howie needs to go down back ... so Danny is a must need.

But in a perfect world, if we were say 4 points clear in the 8 he would not play and be given another week in the 2's to run around. That is a given, so IMHO it's fair to call it a desperation call and that's ok. We really need his presence. If we were playing finals, Danny would be called in coz you want what's best for the team if that player gets a tick from the medicos and you chuck everything in to win.

And with that in mind, today is the start of our elimation finals series.

Hawthorn have toppled some good teams recently, no question. But this game seems to be the first where they’re widely expected to win. They’ve spoken publicly about how much they’ve anticipated today’s game in particular. Young teams often falter in games like these - we have to come switched on at the outset and put some early doubts in their mind.
The Cats game was a sign that reality checks are possible for the Hawks, hopefully we can give them a second one

Pissed down all week and morning in Melbourne. Cold day ground won't dry.
Going in way too tall.
Mcstay and kreuger I'd take out and put macrae and bytel in.
Way to win in the wet is win it in tight kick to.space to let speedy players run on. Hill Elliot and jfn important today.
Also insane bringing mcstay in anyway after 40 mins and 7 months. Way different 40 mins at vfl to running a full game out at afl. Pray I'm wrong but I've seen this end in disaster plenty of times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back