Game Day Round 2, 2019: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone add a letter. Just takes time. Unfortunately Dons to get the money. Our midfield just seems a little slow and all the publicity should get over the line. For us to win we need to start really well and get them thinking not this again.

Un-Australia monster. Adding letters is what we do to abbreviate names Pluggero. Stevo and Clarko a suck it up or they get a derogatory nick name.

Yep, to me we want to get out to a decent lead early and get them second guessing themselves. If they go back into their shells they are shit. There best footy is free wheeling but like Richo Saints they only really have the one gear.

Ha ha🤣 And they would've got away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky ASADA kids.

They forgot the winning bit and went for taking drugs to mask their inadequacies.

Tag Heppell and the rest are a bunch of outside downhill skiers ⛷.

We need to get our matchups right, close down their space and make the most of those periods where we dominate possession. We have a habit of getting very little on the scoreboard from those 5-10 minute periods, maybe take advantage of those periods by being more direct and aggressive.

I’d like to see Kent do a lock down roll on Saad. Steele to Shiel. Will be interesting to see how Merrett bounces back after one of the worst games I’ve seen by a senior player.

I think there’s going to be a lot of shuffling around during the game. Smaller or taller forward lines.. mid swapping roles ect. Be an interesting test.

Saints by 14.

Plenty of unknowns in this one! I'm more intrigued with what will happen here than I have been in a while. Game starts 5:35am my time. Gut says Saints, head says NFI, probably Bombers though.
this time last year Round 2 told us a lot (not that we knew it so much at the time), and I suspect this game will tell us a lot , but hopefully another line of narrative.
Saints to win comfortably! Parker is fierce.

I’d like to see some moves by Richo for once.. something like Wilkie to stringer in a lock. Stringer is quick and evasive, not good overhead. From what I’ve seen at training, he’s not bad on the mid sized forwards. Quicker than you think.

Battle to a wing, Geary or McKenzie to the forward line to shut down their run. Saad and McKenna provide all of this. Stop their half back run and stop their game. I don’t care if it’s the above, but something different today. Get innovative for once, not reactive.

Trying not to get ahead of myself but I’m really starting to think we’re going to give it to them.

Essendon will try move the ball fast from half back, our smalls will have to be at their harassing best. Can’t wait to see Parks lay some campaigners out.

It will all be won in the midfield however, Essendon will bring the heat after their embarrassment last week. Steele on Shiel/Heppell seems logical, hopefully Dunny and Seb can turn one on.

I’d like to see some moves by Richo for once.. something like Wilkie to stringer in a lock. Stringer is quick and evasive, not good overhead. From what I’ve seen at training, he’s not bad on the mid sized forwards. Quicker than you think.

Battle to a wing, Geary or McKenzie to the forward line to shut down their run. Saad and McKenna provide all of this. Stop their half back run and stop their game. I don’t care if it’s the above, but something different today. Get innovative for once, not reactive.

That's where Predator Parker will be good, no easy strolling out of defence for the Dons. They will be hunted down and dispatched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Main concern for me going into the game is our lack of run. I liked Hind in the JLT for his bursts of speed off half back.

Love Acres back in the team. He can play multiple positions and is a bloody good player. Hopefully he can get a good run with injuries this year.

I feel like this is a great opportunity for Marshall. Bellchambers is a decent AFL Rickman without being an A grader. Marshall has a chance to announce himself as an AFL ruck today.

Feel like our team has a nice balance to it. We are well in this, although a few of our mids will need to play better. Essendon got smashed in centre clearances last week, as did we. Feel like that will be important today, hopefully Marshall helps.

I just feel the blowtorch has well and truly been on the Dons this week and they will respond accordingly. Players like Merrett will not have two down weeks in a row. I agree with other posters they will come out breathing fire. Can we tame the dopers and stay with them? Maybe.

I was disappointed with last week, (I know it was a win but still). Maybe I have to give more credit to GC - I don't know. I expected a 4-5 goal win and we were just a bit rusty last week.

I worry about our midfield and being able to win it out of the centre. Hopefully Roma will justify the faith this board in particular has given him. Need Sinclair and Dunstan to lift and Acres to have a good game and impact the contest. Steven will be better for the run but according to newspaper reports will still spend some time forward to get more match fitness.

I think Bombers by about 6-7 goals - they will come out firing and lead by plenty at qtr time and we will match it with them for the rest of the game. I hope I'm wrong and happy to eat humble pie if I am but I just can't shake the feeling we're going to be brought down to earth in a big way

Main concern for me going into the game is our lack of run. I liked Hind in the JLT for his bursts of speed off half back.

Love Acres back in the team. He can play multiple positions and is a bloody good player. Hopefully he can get a good run with injuries this year.

I feel like this is a great opportunity for Marshall. Bellchambers is a decent AFL Rickman without being an A grader. Marshall has a chance to announce himself as an AFL ruck today.

Feel like our team has a nice balance to it. We are well in this, although a few of our mids will need to play better. Essendon got smashed in centre clearances last week, as did we. Feel like that will be important today, hopefully Marshall helps.

Ruck contests are overrated unless you are getting supply from someone like Gawn or Grundy. We probably concede the ruck with Marshall but need to read Bellends taps. Hopefully Stuv gets a bit more time in the middle each week. The good news is Billings was probably our only player out of the middle that played to expected standards. Newnes was all over the ground but probably set up on a wing and he was very good too. Lonie played on a flank and more like an extra wing man.

I think the new coaches have reinvigorated players like Dunstan and Savage who are now given a bit of trust and love. I'm really hoping that they can come up with a role for Acres that maximises his talents. Richo is very uncreative and hardly ever tries anything out of the ordinary. Hopefully Ratts can make Acres the player we all hope he is.

I just feel the blowtorch has well and truly been on the Dons this week and they will respond accordingly. Players like Merrett will not have two down weeks in a row. I agree with other posters they will come out breathing fire. Can we tame the dopers and stay with them? Maybe.

I was disappointed with last week, (I know it was a win but still). Maybe I have to give more credit to GC - I don't know. I expected a 4-5 goal win and we were just a bit rusty last week.

I worry about our midfield and being able to win it out of the centre. Hopefully Roma will justify the faith this board in particular has given him. Need Sinclair and Dunstan to lift and Acres to have a good game and impact the contest. Steven will be better for the run but according to newspaper reports will still spend some time forward to get more match fitness.

I think Bombers by about 6-7 goals - they will come out firing and lead by plenty at qtr time and we will match it with them for the rest of the game. I hope I'm wrong and happy to eat humble pie if I am but I just can't shake the feeling we're going to be brought down to earth in a big way

Our midfield was down last week compared to the two JLT games against teams with midfields as their best elements. The Dogs and Roos both have very strong midfields and we were more than competitive. The Suns had done their homework and set themselves to beat us. They cut off our run off half back and used quick ball movement to keep it off us. They were incredibly efficient early with all their entries looking likely to score and converting lots of low percentage shots on goal as well.

That's where Predator Parker will be good, no easy strolling out of defence for the Dons. They will be hunted down and dispatched.
Parker could be very important today. They are very good along shot, but terrible on the counter. Their quick smalls run one way. Parker needs to get in behind them and use his pace.

Our midfield was down last week compared to the two JLT games against teams with midfields as their best elements. The Dogs and Roos both have very strong midfields and we were more than competitive. The Suns had done their homework and set themselves to beat us. They cut off our run off half back and used quick ball movement to keep it off us. They were incredibly efficient early with all their entries looking likely to score and converting lots of low percentage shots on goal as well.

:thumbsu:
I hope we get back to how we played in the JLT as that was good.

As I said - hope I'm wrong mate and happy to eat humble pie in a big way. I don't like how the media focused on the Dopers this week - it will illicit a response. Can we keep up with them in the first qtr when they come out of the blocks? I don't know.

Glad we have Brown back who will add some stability down back. Dons also have a couple out with Hooker and Daniher who straighten them up nicely.

Cautiously optimistic about today. If we can keep with them in the first quarter, then I think we should be able to run out the game better then them. But I'm always worried we will drop our heads if we don't start well and let them run away with it.

Saints by 9.
Gresh to kick the first. Seb to get a lazy 35. And Battle best on to earn a rising star nom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back