Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many can hold their heads up after that. Dougal by far our best.

Played decent footy for 15 minutes in the second and started cruising it felt like. Dunno if it's what happened but they were playing like we were 20 goals up. Hill taking on his opponent with butler in space inside 50 and kicking OOF, membrey having a chance to go inside 50 and instead trying a clever handball for Hunter (!!) Which May intercepted. Lacked a lot of composure.

Even late Bytel streaming forward in a counter about 60 out from goal and goes sideways allowing Gawn to float back.

Maybe last weeks slog took it out of us, maybe the outs caught up with us - but fu** me melbourne should have put us away by 60 plus. Completely outplayed for 85% of the game and the effort was lacking

2nd term steele lets the ball bounce deep in melb 50 thinking it was out of bounds. Just mark the thing! Lead to a melb goal too and it adds up.

Not to be critical of Steele though, one of a couple that had a dip.

I've been critical of Ross the past few years but he too had a crack.

Dougal Steele and Ross... Rest of em though. Gee whiz

I thought Billings had a good night.

Not many can hold their heads up after that. Dougal by far our best.

Played decent footy for 15 minutes in the second and started cruising it felt like. Dunno if it's what happened but they were playing like we were 20 goals up. Hill taking on his opponent with butler in space inside 50 and kicking OOF, membrey having a chance to go inside 50 and instead trying a clever handball for Hunter (!!) Which May intercepted. Lacked a lot of composure.

Even late Bytel streaming forward in a counter about 60 out from goal and goes sideways allowing Gawn to float back.

Maybe last weeks slog took it out of us, maybe the outs caught up with us - but fu** me melbourne should have put us away by 60 plus. Completely outplayed for 85% of the game and the effort was lacking

2nd term steele lets the ball bounce deep in melb 50 thinking it was out of bounds. Just mark the thing! Lead to a melb goal too and it adds up.

Not to be critical of Steele though, one of a couple that had a dip.

I've been critical of Ross the past few years but he too had a crack.

Dougal Steele and Ross... Rest of em though. Gee whiz
Yep - bathtub was completely empty by the end of the game.

Sinclair was very disappointing for his 100th but he wasn't alone.

I didn't see much commitment or hunger out there, they were playing like they were on roller skates, afraid to fall over, waiting waiting waiting instead of taking a chance and making it happen.

The only positive about this sh*t performance is it will make the selection headache easier, Crouch especially.

I really hope Ryder's back on board for next round. We need him or Rowan back pronto

At least we won the tank off against the kings of the tank. I reckon the only side we could beat right now is North. Hill should take some time off footy. He's lost his passion. Didn't even run much. He was beyond terrible. We put him across half back and he turned the ball over more than he possessed it. It was remarkable. Jones was beyond terrible too. At least Paul Hunter can walk with his head high, he tried.

At least we won the tank off against the kings of the tank. I reckon the only side we could beat right now is North. Hill should take some time off footy. He's lost his passion. Didn't even run much. He was beyond terrible. We put him across half back and he turned the ball over more than he possessed it. It was remarkable. Jones was beyond terrible too. At least Paul Hunter can walk with his head high, he tried.
If I’m honest, I can’t stand Hill and nights like tonight are exactly why, when he’s not kicking well he provides nothing, defensive liability and no heart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve got Josh Battle running up and down the wings doing nothing, ?
A whole lot of this. I'd love for someone to explain to me what the attraction is with him playing wing.

He's about as well suited to it as Acres was to the forward pocket/ruck role.

I don't remember a single game where I've thought Josh went well there.

Last edited:
Dougall was the only St Kilda player to play a good game.

Then several that were ok-ish.

The majority were just appalling. Dreadful ball use by hand and foot where they just gifted the ball to the Dees all night.

I am totally amazed that the margin was as close as it was as it should not have been.

Worst St Kilda performance for many seasons. Just totally lacking in so many ways.

Last edited:
A whole lot of this. I'd love for someone to explain to me what the attraction is with him playing wing.

He's about as well suited to it as Acres was to the forward pocket/ruck role.

I don't remember a single game where I thought he went well there.
Its like they don't know where to play him but don't want to drop him.

SOOO PISSED
Nothing personal but LOLNIE f’ed us
when we when sqillings in front 2nd qter instead of playing in front , he took off for the goal sq , looking for cheap goalp goal , his opponent marked and they kick a goal
missed kick into forward line , they rebounded
got pinned holding the ball , when 2 onto 1
tooooooooo small , a 2nds type player when we have injuries
have butler, higgins bytel etc

Disagree. If it's the one I'm thinking of, Lonie was goalside of his opponent with clear space to goal, the ball should've gone there to where Lonie took off to. Instead it was kicked to the front Demon defender. Bad decisions all night.

Also the drawback of so many small forwards is that it looks good when the team is on song.

But when the team is not firing you get more dead wood as you have no where to move them to, and less players to try and rotate through the midfield to try a and find some fire.

1616846449904.png

1616846224608.png

Last edited:
Lucky not to lose by 10 goals. Someone please get Paddy to come home. Hunter is just really bad. Howard is a star.
Hopefully last week took a bit more out of us than we’d have liked. I’m hoping that’s the case. We were putrid.

If that was a team that converted their opportunities we'd have lost by 100 points. Beyond belief that we again made a big time game an embarrassing roll over with pathetic effort. They really might as well fold the club, they really just repeat the same patterns of ineptitude over and over. We donate money to pay these pea hearts. Should cost us momentum, members and players wanting to join just like the Richo era, new era same shit with a new bunch of guys more interested in the AFL lifestyle than wins. We are like some relapsing drug addict that can't turn up to work and end up back in the shit over and over. What a disrespectful performance. Drop them all and play the VFL guys. Hopefully we get Lethlean finding some new clubs for half of them. We aren't winning a premiership if that's what we dish up.

Dougall was the only St Kilda player to playa good game.

Then several that were ok-ish.

The majority were just appalling. Dreadful ball use by hand and foot where they just gifted the ball to the Dees all night.

I am totally amazed that the margin was as close as it was as it should not have been.

Worst St Kilda performance for many seasons. Just totally lacking in so many ways.

Steele with 24 touches, 6 tackles and 3 goals went OK

In any case, I hope Ratts gets them to bring their mouth guards this week

I thought he was hands down the worst player on the ground yet he's escaping criticism.

Hill was shitting it up in plain sight. Higgins was hiding behind the Demon's wall.

Some of the most useless ball movement I’ve seen in a long time. Whole team got infected by woefully bad use of the ball. Got us burned on turnover all day. Got way too fancy at times with some of the shit they were trying to do.

Wait til we get Hill under the roof with 20 minute quarters though...

Particularly in the first, we were second to the footy. Timid ball hunting will get us nowhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back