Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

really bad stat that, didn't know
But if the ball is not been brought to the ground in the forward line or not kicked to the small forwards, what can they possibly do.. Basically Melbourne’s 4 y’all’s (Tomlinson, May, Lever, Gawn) made our forward line completely useless unless we win the ball and moved the ball quick/hit targets which we couldn’t do with a 2nd rate ruck and only 1 genuine inside mid in Steele.

Brad Hill is the softest player I've seen in our jumper since I was born. Just puts a slap on the chest as the opponent runs through.
Commiserations for tonight. Feel like Brad Hill and Jason Johannisen are the same player. Finally the coach has come to his senses and told JJ he needs to work on his deficiencies.

Performances like this isn’t going to make us a serious contender, if we continue to dish up this sort of games consistently. We’ve no right to complain and whinge when we’re called pretenders and how last season was just luck. it’s just weird how we never rock up to games that have a meaning to it, a big game feel. we ain’t built for finals.

After the Saints members spent a year donating their membership money to the club to basically keep it alive and this is the first match back in front of them. In the Spud tribute game, that’s the performance they put up.... I’ve never been more frustrated at a football match. I hope they get 5000 at the next home game, it’s all they deserve.

I wonder how much we missed Geary's leadership? Steele is a warrior but he's only very new at captaincy. Watching Coniglio on the Amazon doco, I hope Steele doesn't end up having similar challenges.
Geary has on-field leadership? If he has, it’s not obvious.. most of it is by trying hard and be tough (Richo’s moto).. Steele had to single handedly combat their 4 inside mids Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Bradshaw.. I think he did well considering.. kicking 3 goals as well.. If you really want to blame.. then blame the coach.. Should had Bytel in to help.. and leave out Paul Hunter who was a complete liability..

We tried in third and forth to run through the middle and link by hand rather than go long because of May Gawn et al. Would have worked had our disposal been better.
Our small forwards competed in the air as best they could but that us not how we are structured to win games. Big blokes bring it to ground they crumb. We win.

Need Marshall and Ryder back soon for McKernnan and Hunter (BTW not the worst out there) now that's a step up in class. Put Crouch in there to add class at stoppages and we are a much better side.

Hill had a mare as did Jones so did Battle. The last two I expect to bounce back, Hill not sure about we needs a few good games soon otherwise this site will eat him.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bytel and Crouch in, Sinclair and Jones out, Clarke back.

Higgins and Butler had better destroy Essendin next week.

Extra kicking practice required.

I am amazed, literally at how you come to the conclusion those are the two outs out of all the horrible performers we had tonight. At least i saw these two give some "effort".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the Saints members spent a year donating their membership money to the club to basically keep it alive and this is the first match back in front of them. In the Spud tribute game, that’s the performance they put up.... I’ve never been more frustrated at a football match. I hope they get 5000 at the next home game, it’s all they deserve.
Yeah I feel for you Vic's. We got some good wins up here last year and they should have been pumped to put in a good showing for the home fans but looked flat from the first minute

Dougal Howard can have my babies, he was epic tonight.

With some good blocking from Wilkie, they are the dynamic duo back there.

Geary has on-field leadership? If he has, it’s not obvious.. most of it is by trying hard and be tough (Richo’s moto).. Steele had to single handedly combat their 4 inside mids Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Bradshaw.. I think he did well considering.. kicking 3 goals as well.. If you really want to blame.. then blame the coach.. Should had Bytel in to help.. and leave out Paul Hunter who was a complete liability..
Yea, really need to get games into Bytel ASAP. He’s a ball winner. Or Dunstan. Steele can’t do it all on his own.

I still don't see Clark as midfielder- he needs to go back to HBF and take Long's place. In the GWS game, our contested mark count was right down, much due to our forwards all playing from behind- they did the same tonight, plus they played too far off their opponents and couldn't provide enough defensive pressure. That's two games where Steele has not really stamped himself on the midfield- maybe captaincy is putting pressure on him. Bytel needs to be played from now. It's a team game, and most of our team didn't turn up. Well done to Howard and Ross though

I still don't see Clark as midfielder- he needs to go back to HBF and take Long's place. In the GWS game, our contested mark count was right down, much due to our forwards all playing from behind- they did the same tonight, plus they played too far off their opponents and couldn't provide enough defensive pressure. That's two games where Steele has not really stamped himself on the midfield- maybe captaincy is putting pressure on him. Bytel needs to be played from now. It's a team game, and most of our team didn't turn up. Well done to Howard and Ross though

He'll probably take Websters place next week, no-one is scamming the sub rule.

Not many can hold their heads up after that. Dougal by far our best.

Played decent footy for 15 minutes in the second and started cruising it felt like. Dunno if it's what happened but they were playing like we were 20 goals up. Hill taking on his opponent with butler in space inside 50 and kicking OOF, membrey having a chance to go inside 50 and instead trying a clever handball for Hunter (!!) Which May intercepted. Lacked a lot of composure.

Even late Bytel streaming forward in a counter about 60 out from goal and goes sideways allowing Gawn to float back.

Maybe last weeks slog took it out of us, maybe the outs caught up with us - but **** me melbourne should have put us away by 60 plus. Completely outplayed for 85% of the game and the effort was lacking

2nd term steele lets the ball bounce deep in melb 50 thinking it was out of bounds. Just mark the thing! Lead to a melb goal too and it adds up.

Not to be critical of Steele though, one of a couple that had a dip.

I've been critical of Ross the past few years but he too had a crack.

Dougal Steele and Ross... Rest of em though. Gee whiz

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 2, 2021: St.Kilda v Melbourne *SPUD'S GAME* *SINCLAIR 100TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back