Round 2 - Geelong vs. Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably good that we were challenged here. We need a lot of games like this. Well done to Richmond for putting up a fight.

That's what I'm thinking too. We were rarely tested last year, in most games we blew our opposition away. Playing games when it is still in the balance late in the 4th quarter is excellent preparation for September. :thumbsu:

Well done Tige's

But honestly

Joel Bowden - When your finished your finished... trust me he is finished

P.S PLOUGH

He is no Rohan Smith or Chris Grant .... Nor a love Child !

Jack Reiwoldt - Time to see how he goes at CHB... I think he will go well

Richo - Full Forward or nothing at this stage

Delidio - Must play Center (much like I say with my beloved Footscray Cooney must play Center)

Tom Hawkins would have to be the worst player in the AFL at the moment, he is absolutely terrible. He is easily the slowest player in the AFL and he can't even play well with the best service in the game... time to delist this big dope.

The touched punters criticizing Milburn need to watch footy for a while, learn the game. He was a key to Geelong's revival and eventual victory. That bump and gather was as stark an example of experience vs youth as you'll see.

For Geelong, Hawkins did some nice things but was frequently out of position, Mooney is still about 4 weeks away from finding real touch and Gamble as a result felt the pressure of virtually being the go-to forward. Geelong will hit their stride about Rd 7 or 8 I expect. Steve Johnson stepped to the fore and re-asserted his 'man of the moment' quality.

Richmond showed grit and rode a tsunami of confidence (see Morton, Schulze speccie, Bowden from the boundary) for a 1/4, but unfortunately dropped their bundle about 10 minutes into the last. Richardson outsized his opponents regularly, Morton was flashy and hard to contain and their defence was more than solid for the greater portion of the game. Probably what was expected, really - Geelong stuffed after the mental exertion of last week, Richmond desperate to atone. Geelong were never going to win by 100, as their game plan ironically does not suit their own home ground.

RE: Hawkins: his judgment wasn't great but the kicks to him in contests were poor. As we saw he has a remarkable leap for a guy his size but the mids did not exploit that, drilling it at him or over his head rather than sitting it up to advantage. His left foot spear to Johnson early in the first was neat. Still 1-2 years away from putting it all together.

Anyway, yeah, get rid of him. Another big forward comes to mind who had a less than stellar start to his career, couldn't really have a big impact despite his talents. Only 30 goals in his first 30 games in fact. Took him years to really deliver but when he did, he really did. Bernie Quinlan kicked 800+ goals by the time he was done, so let's not panic just yet shall we (not to suggest that Hawkins = Quinlan of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 - Geelong vs. Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back