Unofficial Preview Round 2: St Kilda vs GWS - Etihad; March 29/1:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Manimal_Dunstan

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 9, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Never early to start a thread for our next match against the Giants.

This is winnable, yes our NAB game against them wasn't the best but at Etihad Stadium i think we'll win. (Well hoping so)

Let's get discussing match ups, the game in general and team changes with Joey, Hayes, Bruce all likely in.

Also i am sorry for hogging and opening our game threads lately, get in before me. :D

Wouldn't make too many changes, just the obvious ones to come back in Joey, Lenny and one Fisher/Bruce to help with those GWS talls.

There's going to be some unlucky outs but these are the problems you want to have. Shame about Webster being injured, thoughts our two young flankers in him and Wright were promising.

In: Montagna, Hayes, Fisher/Bruce

Out: Webster, Billings, don't know.

Last out I can't decide and given that the game is just under a week away I don't think I have to yet. :D

I hope we get an update on Webster. I'm hoping/thinking him being subbed was just precautionary. He was out kicking the ball to a trainer at 3 quarter time shortly before being subbed.

It was like the reverse sub. Usually you see the player who's going to come on doing that, but when I noticed Webster was doing it I thought something was up.

Makes the call really difficult if he does get up. Billings and Templeton perhaps?

Crowd got way too excited when Eli had the ball - loved it.

In: Montagna, Hayes, Fisher/Bruce

Out: Webster, Billings, don't know.

May be worth considering Maister to leave out. Dont like what it does to our fwd structure but worth a thought. Gilbert could go fwd if required. If not it may need to be Gilbert as he looked under done and I bet is very sore.

May be worth considering Maister to leave out. Dont like what it does to our fwd structure but worth a thought. Gilbert could go fwd if required. If not it may need to be Gilbert as he looked under done and I bet is very sore.
The three talls structure seems to work well for us, so i'd only be omitting Maister if we call up a suitable replacement. Lee wasn't great in the VFL practice match by all reports, but he's a possible option. The other option is Longer, or go for a medium tall like Siposs or Markworth.

IMO, i'd give Maister another shot at it because I don't think anyone else has really put their hand up. Just needs to get his marking right. My worry is his confidence is now shot.

Fisher to play forward, but defensively on Shaw?

In Fisher Hayes Joey
Out Maister Webster (inj) ??

Savage was quiet, so was Dylan...but to drop someone?

I'd be loathe to drop a kid to be honest, especially against GWS

Geary is carrying something, hopefully he makes it up ok

Fisher to play forward, but defensively on Shaw?

In Fisher Hayes Joey
Out Maister Webster (inj) ??

Savage was quiet, so was Dylan...but to drop someone?

I'd be loathe to drop a kid to be honest, especially against GWS

Geary is carrying something, hopefully he makes it up ok
So we make Gwilt play on Cameron or Patton?

They combined for 8 or so goals against premiership duo Grundy and Richards + did something similar against us in the NAB Challenge without Bruce, we need him in.

I hope we do bring in Bruce before a completely underdone Fisher. Fisher should return through the VFL not AFL.

Last edited:
Channel 7 reporting Armitage is in doubt with a knee injury.

That sucks. We will need all out best inside mids to combat GWS.

In: Hayes, Montagna, Bruce, Longer
Out: Armitage (inj?), Billings, Webster (inj?), Maister

Reasoning (if you could call it that)

Hayes - Armitage: This sucks. We need both of them and if Armo is fit I'd be tempted to have Savage here instead. All our other young mids did enough to get a spot next week and Savage is the unfortunate casualty of not playing a great game. Whoever gets put out of the team next week is going to be someone that probably deserves a spot in the team. At least it is a good problem to have.

Montagna - Billings: Billings is just a casualty of having the senior players come back. This also lets us manage his load a bit better but will probably mean Eli becomes the Sub. Can't say I am happy about this but I can't figure out any other options.

Bruce - Webster: Webster possibly injured and we need Bruce for his height in defence. I wouldn't be surprised if GWS played all three of Cameron, Patton, Boyd against us.

Longer - Maister: While he tried hard I think Maister had a poor game and Longer apparently did alright in the VFL practice match. Bring in Longer to play the 2nd ruck role and play Stanley as a permanent forward.

For Sandy -
I heard Lee did play alright, but fitness is just his issue atm
TDL kicked 4 goals, very good performance
Milera best on ground!
Markworth- 19 disposals, played very good

Ross didn't play, obviously EMG for saints game

IMO -
Give Maister another week, I'm sure he can prove a lot of doubters wrong, hold his marks and he will have shots on goal
IN - Lenny, Montagna, Bruce
OUT - Billings - needs games time and will get that for Sandy
Templeton - played well in his first game but there has to be someone
Webster - if he is injured

If Armitage is injured, I'd probably play Ross or keep Billings in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Logic says that the new recruits will be rotated and managed.

Would be a good game to recall TDL as we need some decent smalls to crumb off the talls. I'd me mre than happy to see Milera given a run in the FP.

Keep Maister in. Delivery inside was ordinary last night and Melb's pressure should not be understated IMO. They zoned ok.

Players who are established first 18 should always play... you don't drop them because they had a quiet game.

Gilbert or Fisher are not forwards. If Bruce is fit then I'd throw him in there to give us some height. Don't leave their talls for the likes of Gwilt.

Jeremy Cameron had 89 shots for goal last year, but only one (and just 3 kicks) against us. I wonder if we're considering playing the one who kept him to one scoring shot and 3 kicks on him again, especially since there are no other ideal options jumping out at us?
Who was it Gilbert? (I can't recall)

Rhys was on Patton at times, but spent most of the game on Cameron. Either way, he beat both of them convincingly and was getting a lot of compliments in commentary and so-on for doing so. Athletically and size-wise, he and Gilbo are the best suited to Cameron. The others are either too short or too slow. I'd probably start with Gilbo this time, but keep Rhys up my sleeve if he gets away from Sam and anyone else we try.

Rhys was on Patton at times, but spent most of the game on Cameron. Either way, he beat both of them convincingly and was getting a lot of compliments in commentary and so-on for doing so.
Alright you have a better memory. :p

All i remember is they beat us in the NAB Cup, everyone tipped them but we came out flogged them with Roo having a blinder as well as Armo.

Now hopefully it's the opposite they flogged us in the NAB Challenge and we win either by 10 points or 70+ again. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Round 2: St Kilda vs GWS - Etihad; March 29/1:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back