Review Round 2 vs Western Bulldogs @ Mars Stadium - 24th March 2024 - 12:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Witt’s out for moyle
Moyle V English might lose us the game
No offence to Ned but English is probably the best ruck in the comp and he’s very inexperienced
English was soft mushroom against Gawn last week according to WB fans. But yes, last year, Moyle vs Sean Darcy turned ugly in 2nd half. Hopefully, Moyle progressed.

Witts injured?

Co-captain Jarrod Witts has been withdrawn from the squad due to a groin injury and will be replaced by young ruckman Ned Moyle.

Ben Long is also confirmed to play his first match of the season, named on the final interchange alongside Sam Flanders, Nick Holman, David Swallow and Levi Casboult.

On the emergency list is Rory Atkins, Mac Andrew and Sam Clohesy.

GOLD COAST

In:
J.Walter, N.Moyle, B.Long
Out: M.Rosas (suspension), D.Macpherson (omitted), J.Witts (groin)

WESTERN BULLDOGS

In:
O.Baker, S.Darcy, C.Poulter
Out: J.Harmes (suspension), L.McNeil (omitted), R.Lobb (omitted)

Have to back Dimma in but can’t understand how Levi is still in the team. Mac surely the inclusion given the dogs height in their forward line.

I don’t like what I’m seeing one bit. I wouldn’t have liked it with Witts in the team, and I like it less without him.

4 tall forward and 2 tall backs… against 2 (maybe 3) tall forwards and 1 (maybe 2) tall backs (dependant on where Darcy plays).

Moyle and the mids have a huge, huge task. Breaking even won’t be enough. If we run 4 forwards, we need them all to dominate the air and dominate the marking contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all seem concerned about dogs tall forwards but looking at their line-up I reckon darcy comes in to play defence. They are very short down back and naughton, juh is enough height upfront with weightman who plays above his height. Obviously picking casboult to help out Moyle but I still would like mac Andrew in the team.

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/03/22/afl-r2-2024-preview-v-bulldogs-walters-here/

With the likelihood that the clearance game is fairly even, the team’s ability to score off turnover could decide the game, as is often the case. The Dogs are horrendous at defending off turnover as were the Suns last year. Hardwick will get a real sense of how both sides of this are progressing this round. With the wind as a variable too, keeping possession while you play into the wind will be more important to avoid wind-assisted counter-attacks.

I think you have to give the Dogs the edge if you are tipping. The Suns first game on the road is at maybe the worst possible ground to acclimatise to. The Dogs are under a lot of pressure though so if the Suns can again race out of the blocks they could quiet the crowd and really make Bevo & Co. panic. Win or lose I don’t want to see more than 4 goals in a row allowed that is a hard limit after those first two rounds.

Full preview at the link above

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/03/22/afl-r2-2024-preview-v-bulldogs-walters-here/

With the likelihood that the clearance game is fairly even, the team’s ability to score off turnover could decide the game, as is often the case. The Dogs are horrendous at defending off turnover as were the Suns last year. Hardwick will get a real sense of how both sides of this are progressing this round. With the wind as a variable too, keeping possession while you play into the wind will be more important to avoid wind-assisted counter-attacks.

I think you have to give the Dogs the edge if you are tipping. The Suns first game on the road is at maybe the worst possible ground to acclimatise to. The Dogs are under a lot of pressure though so if the Suns can again race out of the blocks they could quiet the crowd and really make Bevo & Co. panic. Win or lose I don’t want to see more than 4 goals in a row allowed that is a hard limit after those first two rounds.

Full preview at the link above
Close to ideal conditions for Ballarat except 15-25 km winds which still is not as bad as it was there for us in the past.

Personally, I am still hoping for a late change, Andrew replacing Casboult. Playing Luko, King, Casboult, Walter all forward is a madness, haha. Andrew would slot in nicely in defence to help with Darcy and English when moving forward. Andrew could also chip in ruck.

We have more players who can run through the middle, but Dimma interestingly rotate similar players and numbers to Dew so far. Humphrey got some CBAs last week so hopefully Dimma will continue expanding the list. IMO, we need to spread the load more.

Looking forward to seeing Walter speed and pressuring Dogs defence. Debut, no match fitness, so anything else will be bonus.

Collins looks like a different player this year. No more crazy waving outstretched arms around forwards before plays start. He looks more composed, more confident. Thank you Rance. Looking forward seeing how he goes against Astronaut. He must engage him and not give him a free run. He done it nicely last time we met in Ballarat in second half. I still remember Beveridge whinging. What a crazy coach. Some of his talks and decisions/selections are mind boggling.

Moyle, it's time to shine. I think he will go fine in the middle. Surely, he can't go around the ground with English but we should have some contingencies for that.

I think our midfield could get ahead in the middle. They look like adults now and we are entering good times, finally. Great to watch. Hopefully our pressure causing turnovers will do it for us. But there will be some lapses, haha.

Why not to be optimistic. Suns by 15.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 vs Western Bulldogs @ Mars Stadium - 24th March 2024 - 12:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back