Autopsy Round 20, 2022: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see the link.

Lynch was a strange draft decision in 2008. Left for opportunity because he was behind others (which was my point)

Lee was taken in 2011 as the best state league key forward.

Maister a 4th round pick in 2011 as a bit of back up.

Paddy 2014 with the cupboard of tall forwards just about bare.

Things changed just a tad between Lynch being picked & Paddy 6 years later.

you used the existing talls on the list to question why tom lynch was selected at all

but you've also used the lack of talls to justify the selections of mccartin and lee

you still dont see the link?

I think that this post hits the nail on the head. AS much as we have managed to mastermind our own failures, the context of when the Suns and Giants entered the competition needs to be considered when talking about drafting. The new franchises pillaged the top end numerous successive drafts and ALL clubs became increasingly creative in trying to access young talent. Those circumstances were part of the cause of the Hawthorn dynasty - as they built a core of a flag team by bottoming out at the right time and cleaning up at several consecutive drafts. As that core aged they were able to top up with cherry picked free agents (also introduced around that time) and keep going after flags as all the young talent that should have been going to competitors to help them go past Hawthorn was being vacuumed up into two new franchises that weren't even going to be competitive for a number of years......
I think that’s being too kind, we just picked the wrong players year after year after year. That’s not the Giants or Suns fault because every other club around us at the same time has moved on to multiple finals appearances or flags.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2022: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back