Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw a couple of clangers from Neale in the first quarter that cost us goals..... Reckon we should give him a run in the VFL next week along side Wilmot & Ashcroft?
Should send Dunkley back to the magoos as well since he had a worse DE% than Ashcroft, same i50's and worse score involvements.

The commentary surrounding Washy is mind-boggling to me, maybe people need to remember he hasn't even cracked 20 games yet and is coming off a knee reco. If he doesn't get 25+ touches on 80% DE, he needs to play twos? Lmao

Henry looked a lot more comfortable as the main ruck. It's as if he knew his role, was able to follow up with clarity and had some deft touches to our clearance mids. Hope we persist with him and leave Hipwood in defense until Payne or Joyce come back.
I agree, that Henry looked much better when he was rucking. He seemed to hold his own and didn’t look out of place.

He seems a long way off as a forward though. I’d be returning Hippy to the forward line when Harris comes back and letting Henry work on his craft in the VFL. I think he’ll be our next Ruck after Oscar moves on.

Should send Dunkley back to the magoos as well since he had a worse DE% than Ashcroft, same i50's and worse score involvements.

The commentary surrounding Washy is mind-boggling to me, maybe people need to remember he hasn't even cracked 20 games yet and is coming off a knee reco. If he doesn't get 25+ touches on 80% DE, he needs to play twos? Lmao

Most of Dunkleys disposals are contested and under pressure. Ashcroft

I don't think Ashcroft is doing much right at the moment but he'll be persisted with

Ashcroft tends to kick with too much elevation, risks a chance of interception and turnover. Playing into form though.
He's definitely capable of the bullet passes when he's got space but his default out of congestion seems to be the up and under up try and at least get a contest versus picking out the spare man and setting up an immediate rebound.

Couldn’t find a vote for Oscar yesterday. It was just such a great team effort, but imo Oscar has been a major factor in our run of wins. Never dominating but continually strong in the contest and not letting the opposition ruckman impact the game.

Healy was full of praise for his “lethal left hand” working the boundary throw ins. I wonder if he is a sneaky chance for the AA squad? His boundary line work has improved so much since “why doesn’t he try to get in front days”

Most of Dunkleys disposals are contested and under pressure. Ashcroft

I don't think Ashcroft is doing much right at the moment but he'll be persisted with

I’d say given he’s 5 games back from a knee reco at 19 years of age and averaging:

• 19.0 disposals
  • 3.2 tackles
  • 2.2 clearances
  • 3.8 i50

… and kicked a couple of goals, he’s doing plenty right. We should be grateful he’s made the return he has.

I’d say given he’s 5 games back from a knee reco at 19 years of age and averaging:

• 19.0 disposals
  • 3.2 tackles
  • 2.2 clearances
  • 3.8 i50

… and kicked a couple of goals, he’s doing plenty right. We should be grateful he’s made the return he has.
His raw stats are fine. I agree with the commentary that his dump kicks & poor efficiency are an issue at the moment but to me that's more a symptom of a young kid who's been out of the game for a year, with little experience to full back on.

He needs to keep playing to get the confidence back and re-find his best form but I don't believe that will come in the 2s.

Couldn’t find a vote for Oscar yesterday. It was just such a great team effort, but imo Oscar has been a major factor in our run of wins. Never dominating but continually strong in the contest and not letting the opposition ruckman impact the game.

Healy was full of praise for his “lethal left hand” working the boundary throw ins. I wonder if he is a sneaky chance for the AA squad? His boundary line work has improved so much since “why doesn’t he try to get in front days”
It seems to have coincided with Dew turning up that several of our players are getting a long way towards eliminating the flat spots in their games and getting a bit tougher in the contest. Rayner ,McCluggage ,Wilmot, Daniher, Hipwood, Lohman just off the top of my head. I'd have to throw Neale in.

Obviously that comes with an improvement in the overall form of the team and these are good players but it's noticeable that they're playing differently . With more grit across their game.

Teamwork has become the NO.1 object and we know that's always been a Fagan non negotiable but they're actually applying it ruthlessly now.

Depending on how the rest of the season goes I wonder if he has a discussion with the club at the end of the year about returning home a year early.
Wouldn't surprise me tbh. His spot seems under fire from multiple younger players who could be/are playing better than him. Joyce is more needed than him imo

• 19.0 disposals
  • 3.2 tackles
  • 2.2 clearances
  • 3.8 i50

This is an amazing discussion

Poster 1: Ashcroft isn't playing that well
Poster 2: He's 20 and coming back from an ACL

And repeat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, that Henry looked much better when he was rucking. He seemed to hold his own and didn’t look out of place.

He seems a long way off as a forward though. I’d be returning Hippy to the forward line when Harris comes back and letting Henry work on his craft in the VFL. I think he’ll be our next Ruck after Oscar moves on.

Henry's shown good signs up forward and in the ruck in both games. He's 21, just finished growing. Has come on quite a bit this year. He'll keep improving at this level. 2nd week was big improvement on the first. Keep him going get him comfortable, we need options in the suitcase if something happens to Oscar.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

His raw stats are fine. I agree with the commentary that his dump kicks & poor efficiency are an issue at the moment but to me that's more a symptom of a young kid who's been out of the game for a year, with little experience to full back on.

He needs to keep playing to get the confidence back and re-find his best form but I don't believe that will come in the 2s.

100%, just needs to get up to speed and in tune with the pace of AFL footy - last year we saw how brilliant he is, but that takes practice and consistency, that as you say can only come in the 1’s.

• 19.0 disposals
  • 3.2 tackles
  • 2.2 clearances
  • 3.8 i50

I'm comfortable with Ashcroft as he's playing a role with some occasional brilliance. These 10-12 games will be a good investment towards both finals and next year. He'll catch fire at some point and make it extremely hard for opposition to decide whom to shut down.

Bailey was in the same boat earlier this season and look at him now. Confidently running all the way back to D50 to provide a relief kick option as well as bravely backing up into packs while a high kick is coming down.

This is an amazing discussion

Poster 1: Ashcroft isn't playing that well
Poster 2: He's 20 and coming back from an ACL

And repeat

That is misleadingly simple.

I provided a counterargument to “Ashcroft isn’t doing a lot right”, as I believe that to be a false statement.

I’m not arguing “Yes, but…”

I’m suggesting “No, because…”

• 19.0 disposals
  • 3.2 tackles
  • 2.2 clearances
  • 3.8 i50

He's doing damn well given what he's coming back from. Defensive transition is probably the area he needs to work on most, but confident his disposal will keep improving and he'll keep having more and more impact. Come week 1 of finals, we will be thanking Fagan for getting him in underdone.

Went for a visit to the Sun's preview/game day/review thread (it rolls over like the main board one) and noticed again how different people see people.

The line was 'Besides Dorko is there a more unlikeable Lion than the “Big O” such a flog' ... didn't realise anyone had negative feelings about Oscar as a person ... Ah well it's good not being a Sun!

QClash tally is now 20-7.

They’ll never come close to squaring the ledger from here.

The AFL will be happy with the crowd at Metricon today but will be concerned that it was at least 70 percent Lions fans.

Such little return on the investment as we approach the 15 year mark.

The AFL should never have brought the GC into the league. They would've done better to play on the QLD (Lions) vs nsw (swans) rivalry that exists bcos of origin.

Oh well. Now they've got a never ending money pit in the suns & a lost opportunity in giving us a genuine rivalry.

Went for a visit to the Sun's preview/game day/review thread (it rolls over like the main board one) and noticed again how different people see people.

The line was 'Besides Dorko is there a more unlikeable Lion than the “Big O” such a flog' ... didn't realise anyone had negative feelings about Oscar as a person ... Ah well it's good not being a Sun!

It is ironically dark for the ‘Suns’ right now.

I believe Hollow Knight referred to it as an existential-level issue - September up for grabs, big brother missing almost the entire backline, playing on the home deck you’ve built a nice streak on (albeit against weak opposition), and… that performance.

The whole “sun sets on finals hopes” stuff really does write itself. 🌅

It is ironically dark for the ‘Suns’ right now.

I believe Hollow Knight referred to it as an existential-level issue - September up for grabs, big brother missing almost the entire backline, playing on the home deck you’ve built a nice streak on (albeit against weak opposition), and… that performance.

The whole “sun sets on finals hopes” stuff really does write itself. 🌅

Despise that whole "big brother, little brother" crap. They're not our "little brother." They're a club who will not amount to anything & should never have been brought into the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back