Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ignored if the Age is any guide

Yes that was super weird, I looked online and it wasn’t even covered by the Brisbane Times, their Brisbane counterpart. Normally there’ll be at least a small article.

On further investigation it’s not so surprising- the Age journos are on strike for better wage conditions for 5 days.

They're already doing what the AFL wants them to do. Grow the game.

It's why the League wants to see them to succeed more than other clubs.
Agree on that as the Gold Coast is flourishing at grass roots level.

One of the biggest issues for the Suns was the AFL settling on Carrara as their home ground.
Financially it was the cheapest option (existing ground) but long term it has not helped the Suns.
The same as they stuffed the Brisbane Bears up by using Carrara as the home ground for Brisbane being 70km away on a very busy M1.
The Suns only hope for better attendances and membership is to connect light rail to the ground and continue it on up to the Nerang rail station.
Seeing stage 4 light rail is planned for Burleigh to Cooloongatta via Airport at a huge costs ($5-7 Billion) i don't see this Nerang Station connection happening soon, even if planned.
So, shuttle buses for the forceable future will still be the go.

Otherwise, it remains a crap location for a major stadium.

Future stages of light rail​

The City Transport Strategy 2031 proposes further extensions to the Gold Coast Light Rail including:

• Burleigh Heads to Coolangatta via Gold Coast Airport (Stage 4)
  • Nobby Beach to Robina
  • Broadbeach to Nerang
  • Surfers Paradise to Bundall
  • Gold Coast University Hospital to Biggera Waters.

I hate coming on here and seeing posts questioning the Suns' right to exist; wasn't that long ago the same thing was being asked about our club. A bit of empathy wouldn't go astray IMO. We can enjoy our victory without taking this path surely

I think a few may have gone that extra step too far if they are genuinely talking about shutting them down, but I think there is definitely an interesting discussion to be had regarding where the Suns are at as they come up on 15 years in the comp and with the 19th club on the way in.

By no means should they be wound up. There has been massive grassroots growth in the game in QLD from having two clubs. But in isolation, looking at them in terms of an AFL club, they seem to be absolutely nowhere.

I was feeling pretty sympathetic to them towards the end of the match, but the booing of Dew left a real bad taste in my mouth. It shows a concerning lack of organic culture/soul/self-respect in the fan base. Some may argue these are meaningless buzzwords, but I disagree.

I would be pretty stunned if GWS fans booed Leon Cameron like that, which just demonstrates that the 17th and 18th expansion clubs deviated sharply from the beginning.

Exceptional win, we are showing a fantastic trait to lift when needed.

I have not watched the replay yet but I would have given the Ashcroft medal to Cam Rayner, I thought he was the epitome of high impact possession footy.

We went down for the game, what a debacle getting out of the stadium was, surely those in power could have foreseen the impact closing the rail line would have and decide to do whatever they were doing on another day.

Took us 45 minutes to travel from Nerang train station car park to the M1 which is roughly 3km :mad: , then a hassle free 40 minute run to home.

I have not watched the replay yet but I would have given the Ashcroft medal to Cam Rayner, I thought he was the epitome of high impact possession footy.

We went down for the game, what a debacle getting out of the stadium was, surely those in power could have foreseen the impact closing the rail line would have and decide to do whatever they were doing on another day.

Took us 45 minutes to travel from Nerang train station car park to the M1 which is roughly 3km :mad: , then a hassle free 40 minute run to home.

I know a bloke here who lives in Nerang who would have given you a ride in his rusty old Datsun 120Y.

Inspiring victory... Yet again. My lions rarely disappoint.
How good is it for Fages to be able to say anytime, anywhere, "send Hippy back". What a card to have up the sleeve. Secondly, this was a brilliantly coached game. Fagan is usually passed off as a good HR coach, but just average on game day. Crap.
Finally, some acceptance and acknowledgment from the mainstream (Melbourne) media that Lions have been crueled by injury AND BEEN VICTORIOUS. God bless Collingwood... Life is hard for them.
So all in all, we go into the final stretch in dominant and intimidating form.
What a great boost to their belief.
#MLGA #LAFFINKAMILLA

Inspiring victory... Yet again. My lions rarely disappoint.
How good is it for Fages to be able to say anytime, anywhere, "send Hippy back". What a card to have up the sleeve. Secondly, this was a brilliantly coached game. Fagan is usually passed off as a good HR coach, but just average on game day. Crap.
Finally, some acceptance and acknowledgment from the mainstream (Melbourne) media that Lions have been crueled by injury AND BEEN VICTORIOUS. God bless Collingwood... Life is hard for them.
So all in all, we go into the final stretch in dominant and intimidating form.
What a great boost to their belief.
#MLGA #LAFFINKAMILLA
You are indeed a wise man Donald.
7f6046c2151e085d1039276dc8fc0850.gif

Great position to be in when I could not find a vote for Lachie after his performance.

Stewie Dew's job application is going well - looks loke a more pro-active coaches box.

And again - that win would not have happened without Hippy.

I think a few may have gone that extra step too far if they are genuinely talking about shutting them down, but I think there is definitely an interesting discussion to be had regarding where the Suns are at as they come up on 15 years in the comp and with the 19th club on the way in.

By no means should they be wound up. There has been massive grassroots growth in the game in QLD from having two clubs. But in isolation, looking at them in terms of an AFL club, they seem to be absolutely nowhere.

I was feeling pretty sympathetic to them towards the end of the match, but the booing of Dew left a real bad taste in my mouth. It shows a concerning lack of organic culture/soul/self-respect in the fan base. Some may argue these are meaningless buzzwords, but I disagree.

I would be pretty stunned if GWS fans booed Leon Cameron like that, which just demonstrates that the 17th and 18th expansion clubs deviated sharply from the beginning.
Booing Dew yesterday?

The AFL should never have brought the GC into the league. They would've done better to play on the QLD (Lions) vs nsw (swans) rivalry that exists bcos of origin.

Oh well. Now they've got a never ending money pit in the suns & a lost opportunity in giving us a genuine rivalry.
The AFL tried to promote that rivalry for decades. That complete lack of success is why we have the pissweak thread, to celebrate the "rivalry" where we played each other every rivalry round despite neither caring a lot about the other. Attempting to bring RL SoO feelings to other codes has been a complete failure. There's no antipathy between the Roar and Sydney FC either for example.

GWS fans wouldn't because he did have a lot of success here (even if he fell short in the end) and he kind of walked away even though it was obvious he was going to be fired. GC has had no fond memories to fall back on, so I'm guessing they just end up bitter to every ex-coach as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL tried to promote that rivalry for decades. That complete lack of success is why we have the pissweak thread, to celebrate the "rivalry" where we played each other every rivalry round despite neither caring a lot about the other. Attempting to bring RL SoO feelings to other codes has been a complete failure. There's no antipathy between the Roar and Sydney FC either for example.

GWS fans wouldn't because he did have a lot of success here (even if he fell short in the end) and he kind of walked away even though it was obvious he was going to be fired. GC has had no fond memories to fall back on, so I'm guessing they just end up bitter to every ex-coach as a result.
I'd still say Collingwood, Carlton & Port Adelaide are our biggest rivals and the best rivalries aren't manufactured.

Given how salty a lot of swans fans were when they lost to us, I think it's a potential rivalry worth revisiting.

I'd still say Collingwood, Carlton & Port Adelaide are our biggest rivals and the best rivalries aren't manufactured.
I wouldn't bother about Carlton, but definitely Collingwood, and Port to an extant.

Getting out of the Nerang station car park was a NIGHTMARE.

They showed him on the stadium screen at some stage during the game in Lions colours and he got booed
Didn’t even hear that at the game but there you go. Not that that’s overly surprising. You can hardly hear supporters after a goal is kicked.

Such a soulless, pain in the arse place to get in and out of, that shithole. No wonder they have the trumpet man and his drum hitting sidekick play their tune after goals. Literally without it you wouldn’t know a goal is kicked.

The difference in atmosphere to a full house at the GABBA is crazy.

Didn’t even hear that at the game but there you go. Not that that’s overly surprising. You can hardly hear supporters after a goal is kicked.

Such a soulless, pain in the arse place to get in and out of, that shithole. No wonder they have the trumpet man and his drum hitting sidekick play their tune after goals. Literally without it you wouldn’t know a goal is kicked.

The difference in atmosphere to a full house at the GABBA is crazy.

Admittedly at The Gabba we can be quiet too, at least initially. We wait for the team to give us something exciting to cheer about. Highly defensive footy is not exciting.

They showed him on the stadium screen at some stage during the game in Lions colours and he got booed
Reckon there is a bit of over reaction here. Whenever an ex from any club is highlighted there is a section of the crowd that boos. Part of what you pay your money for.

If anything, it builds the rivalry. Ah Chee, Lyons and now Dew. Other way I can remember Brennan and Hanley getting a frosty reception at the Gabb.,

I wouldn't bother about Carlton, but definitely Collingwood, and Port to an extant.
Except everybody wants to claim a rivalry with Collingwood. Three of our 5 GFs are against them but there was 20 years between them. If we and them stay competitive and meet in a few more big games in the next couple of years maybe it gets back up there.

Except everybody wants to claim a rivalry with Collingwood. Three of our 5 GFs are against them but there was 20 years between them. If we and them stay competitive and meet in a few more big games in the next couple of years maybe it gets back up there.
Agree. Our main rivalry seem to be the AFL House, which is kind of ironic given we are subsidised by them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20, 2024 - Gold Coast vs. Brisbane Lions

Back