Votes: 34 19.3%
  • Hawks by 25+

Votes: 74 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cannot envisage they would play Menzel in this game Stan. What is the rush?
There is no rush. I just think that the MC might believe that the time is right to introduce him back into the AFL team. I wouldn't be surprised either way though.

Wouldn't surprise. Most of his possessions are when we have it on the wing and he runs up to get the easy link passes. In any case he was playing as a mid earlier in the year but in his past full games in the afl he has been predominantly a forward now that Duncan and Bartel are back and Guthrie and Caddy are spending more time in the middle.

Absolute rubbish. He's been playing as a back-of-centre midfield distributor just as he has for the last 2 seasons.

Not so fast Gunga Din; he played predominantly in the forward half in the last game so there appears to have been a change in role.

vfb53o.jpg

Correct, which makes it clearer still that he has been playing back-of-centre midfield for most of the season. As any watcher's eyes would tell them.

Absolute rubbish. He's been playing as a back-of-centre midfield distributor just as he has for the last 2 seasons.
If he is still playing that role then 14 touches is a horrible performance and I'm sure you would advocate he must be dropped. The heat map for the game suggests he spent a fair bit of time in the forward pocket though, so I wouldn't necessarily be writing him completely off yet Fred.

If he is still playing that role then 14 touches is a horrible performance and I'm sure you would advocate he must be dropped. The heat map for the game suggests he spent a fair bit of time in the forward pocket though, so I wouldn't necessarily be writing him completely off yet Fred.

Yes, he had a quiet game on Saturday. But he was still better than (just for examples) Lang, Cockatoo, Gregson, Walker, Murdoch. If he is dropped, it will be, as it was last time (as Scott made clear) a transition decision rather than a form decision.

Not sure that psychologically Vs Hawks at MCG would be the nicest return for Menz. Back to the site of the start of it all.

Maybe its perfect closure. Im not sure.

GO Catters

No rush if we brought Menz back this week. A rush would've been against Brisbane in Geelong.

I don't think there is a wrong decision here, we bring him back this week okay it has been 5 weeks in VFL he deserves it, we keep him in VFL this week okay another VFL game would be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people forgetting the shocker Stokes put in?
Hate to say it, but looks like he is finished.
GHS should stay in the side over Stokes.

I do want GHS over Stokes but just thinking the MC will go with Stokes :/ They might tell GHS that next year is his big year considering we'll have a few retirements including Stokes that's when GHS can try & cement his spot in the side.

Not sure that psychologically Vs Hawks at MCG would be the nicest return for Menz. Back to the site of the start of it all.

Maybe its perfect closure. Im not sure.

GO Catters

My thought exactly dazbroncos
Same team , same venue , big game , night game - would have to be playing on his mind somewhat , do not like.

Can't see Menzel playing for the rest of the year.

I reckon this is the game we are going miss Stanley the most. We always make Ceglar look like a superstar. Ceglar's worst match-up would have been someone like Stanley as he's got Ceglar covered for pure athleticism, but is also a terrific aerialist.
Not sure Blicavs is going to get his way as he did against Tippett.

Kolodjashnij onto Gunston would be one hell of a duel I reckon. This is the match-up I desperately wanted to see in round one. Kolo has excellent speed and agility. He'll be able to stick with Gunston. It's just the subtle and wily shepherds & blocking that the Hawthorn forwards do for each other which gives their leading players an advantage. I'm sure he'll be alert to this though.

Caddy might be in for his best game of the year too :thumbsu:

I do want GHS over Stokes but just thinking the MC will go with Stokes :/ They might tell GHS that next year is his big year considering we'll have a few retirements including Stokes that's when GHS can try & cement his spot in the side.
That's stupid if they do. Stokes is past it. If not GHS then some else. I would have dropped Stokes on his chase at the start of the 4th. Either he can't chase or won't both are droppable offences in my mind.

That's stupid if they do. Stokes is past it. If not GHS then some else. I would have dropped Stokes on his chase at the start of the 4th. Either he can't chase or won't both are droppable offences in my mind.

I know man it is stupid...but it is our MC :p That chase was horrendous, GHS tried as hard as he could with the little time he had & I hope he isn't dropped ahead of Stokes that's for sure! Just think they will keep Stokes in for some reason...

Geelong's Barometer for this week:

INJURIES
Mitch Clark (calf) 1 week
Cameron Delaney (foot) 2 weeks
Shane Kersten (toe) test
Lincoln McCarthy (foot) indefinite
Rhys Stanley (foot) season

ON THE BLOCK: Nakia Cockatoo was given the opportunity to impact the game from the opening bounce, after the Cats opted to start him on the ground against Sydney. He finished with 10 disposals before he was subbed out for George Horlin-Smith, who accumulated four disposals from limited game time. Mathew Stokes didn’t set the world on fire in his return game, but did manage to boot one goal from 14 disposals.

ON THE CUSP: Plenty here. Steve Johnson will return from suspension to finally notch his 250th game. Shane Kersten is an option if he can overcome his toe injury. Jared Rivers and Jed Bews both played in the VFL on the weekend and could come in for the Hawks clash. Daniel Menzel, Josh Cowan and Nathan Vardy continue to progress well for the Cats’ reserves side, but are unlikely to come back for a big game against the Hawks. After being dropped from the seniors, Billie Smedts responded well in the VFL, accumulating 22 disposals (nine contested), five marks and four tackles in the Cats’ 47-point loss to North Ballarat.

BEN WATERWORTH’S FORECAST: The Cats are back — and well in the hunt for a finals spot, thanks to their hard-fought win over Sydney. While colossal Joel Selwood rightly stole the headlines for his outstanding performance in his 200th game, the Cats’ emerging youngsters, such as defensive duo Jake Kolodjashnij and Jackson Thurlow, played key roles and showed the club’s future is in good hands. Massive game against the Hawks, who have beaten the Cats the past three times the two teams have met. But after a tough, physical and grinding win over West Coast in Perth, there’s no better time to face the Hawks. Don’t expect the Hawks to win in a cakewalk.

IN: Rivers, Johnson and Bews
OUT: Cockatoo (omit), Stokes (omit) and Horlin-Smith (omit)

B: Enright, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij
HB: Mackie, Taylor, Bartel
C: Kelly, Caddy, Murdoch
HF: Motlop, Rivers, Duncan
F: Johnson, Hawkins, Gregson
R: Blicavs, Selwood, Guthrie

Int: Thurlow, Bews, Walker
Sub: Lang

Emg: Simpson, Stokes and Horlin-Smith
Loving your idea of Rivers playing HF :thumbsu: :rainbow: Seriously, you need to tweet the coach.

To be honest I think we will lose as Hawthorn are likely to win another flag. Also this game looms as Hawthorn's only danger game before the finals, so they will be up for it and make sure they win. At least we go into the game with some decent form. A lot have been calling for Cockatoo to be omitted, but on the weekend he actually got some of the ball and is starting to find his feet. Hopefully we don't allow Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis to gather 35+ possessions and allow Gibson to dominate and get loose third man balls as he always does. Play the kids and continue with the tight defense and maybe try a smaller/pacey forward line? A professional football club should have different forward options, so we should try them. Walker and Kersten can't cut it against Hawthorn. Please don't play Kersten!! He is the Chris Dawes of our team. Gets a game because he 'helps the structure of our team'. I don't buy that!!!

Walker and Kersten can't cut it against Hawthorn.

Walker looked like he had the better of his opponent in last years QF (Spangher) before having to move into the ruck when McIntosh went down. I think his size will trouble them. Gibson is short by defender standards. Same size as Johnson so if Lake doesn't get up for this game, we have a big advantage given Frawley will be contending with Hawkins all game long.
They may have to bring in Spangher which then leaves them a little top heavy on the flip side.

Are people forgetting the shocker Stokes put in?
Hate to say it, but looks like he is finished.
GHS should stay in the side over Stokes.

Finally someone with some sense!!!!

We need players who are going to harass all night, Stokes was getting told off by the opposition the other night for not running hard enough, what the hell does that say?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back