Preview Round 20 v Melbourne MCG Sunday July 30th 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cumberland could have been selected over Mansell. Cumberland plays differently to Mansell. More of a marking goal kicking type. Could have added this to the Jack, Miller, Pickett mix, which needs something.
I'm glad we're winning. Who knows maybe we get smacked by Melbourne maybe we have a close win.

They play completely different roles.

Who cares Mate. He is contracted for another year and we hold the cards at this stage.
He’s not that good anyway at this point in his career. If he’s desperate to leave, let some club overpay, while we take it and run. I like him a lot as a player but the way he’s spoken of on here is just crazy. He’s not Dusty, or even Stringer for God sake. Just a player that showed great promise towards the end of last season, but when given the chance this season at AFL level, has done two thirds of F all.

most on here don't speak like hes some amazing player or anything. they just want him to be given a fair run in a forward line that's kicking a goal a game. they want vfl form rewarded when it's in an area we are lacking in the seniors. they want someone to help old man jack from being quadruple teamed. it doesn't help either when we have players in the seniors doing **** all multiple games in a row that get to stay, that irritates those that want to see cumbo given a block of games even further

We really struggle to give kids a chance to establish themselves. It was only a few weeks ago that they were set to drop Ross, got a reprieve as the sub / Bauer and he's shown them what he can do, again.

Besides Ross we have Miller getting a regular game, and that is because we haven't anyone else on our list who can play his role, but he is 23 so hardly young. Young is the only young player (24 but first year) who is getting a regular game, and if Tarrant was fit he would be running around the VFL.
Gibcus would be there if he wasn't injured most likely. Banks is in now but if Short was back he would be out. We have half a dozen in and outers. Mansell this year is one pretty much an automatic selection, don't ask me why out of all our young players, why he is the one other than he is a hard nut.

In the last two or maybe three years, not one only young player has come in and stayed in on their own terms for any extended period on his own terms. That is pretty unheard of.

Cumberland requesting a trade at years end has to be a near certainty.
If Mansell was in the VFL and kicked 6 goals against a top 4 VFL opponent, then he’d receive a game the next week. It’s double standards and it’s bullcrap. With the forward talent Cumberland has, he shouldn’t be kept out of our ordinary forward line that failed to kick above 100 points against two bottom-three sides in consecutive weeks. Carlton only needed the first half to score what we scored for the match against West Coast the week prior.

If Cumberland leaves, then it’s solely on the selection committee. They’ve been problematic all year. I thought it was only Hardwick being stubborn and worn out, but it’s clearly more than that.

What gets me is that our selections were mostly logical last year. In fact, they were decent since 2017. Don’t know what changed this year but we need to look at that in the off-season.

We can still win this game, but I just don’t think we put out our best starting side to do it.

hopefully the midfield got a spray after the shite they dished up last week

without the chucker playing we can at least match it with dees midfield. if we loose out of the centre just as easy as last week I'll melt
Correction: after the shite they dished up the last two weeks. Our midfield was copping it from West Coast’s midfield at a stage :$

most on here don't speak like hes some amazing player or anything. they just want him to be given a fair run in a forward line that's kicking a goal a game. they want vfl form rewarded when it's in an area we are lacking in the seniors. they want someone to help old man jack from being quadruple teamed. it doesn't help either when we have players in the seniors doing * all multiple games in a row that get to stay, that irritates those that want to see cumbo given a block of games even further

I get that but who does he replace? He is in a tricky spot. Plays a different role to Mansell, not as flexible as Pickett, the only player I see him replacing is Miller forcing us going smaller with a second ruck. But does that expose us to Gawn or May dominating. I think circumstances by the opposition we’re playing keeps him out this week. Had this been the bulldogs who don’t have 2 dominate intercept defenders or a game breaking ruck I think he plays.

How many players with “potential” don’t utilise it and fall by the wayside? Look how many top draft picks don’t go on to amount to anything on the football field. Potential is a dirty word it’s what you do with it.
You’re right, let’s get rid of all players with elite potential and just draft plain Jane hard workers that will do what they are told to become good role players
No risk strategy 101

1690583190558.gif

I get that but who does he replace? He is in a tricky spot. Plays a different role to Mansell, not as flexible as Pickett, the only player I see him replacing is Miller forcing us going smaller with a second ruck. But does that expose us to Gawn or May dominating. I think circumstances by the opposition we’re playing keeps him out this week. Had this been the bulldogs who don’t have 2 dominate intercept defenders or a game breaking ruck I think he plays.
Exactly what roll does Mansell actually play as a forward. He averages 8.4 disposals a game as a roaming forward. 2.5 marks a game, 2.8 tackles, 0.8 goals and 0.1 goal assists. He is hard at the ball I'll give you that, but he is not a small forward by any means.

Pickett has been asked to play Cumberland's roll, a bit of a marking target and try and bring the ball to ground, and he is hardly doing that. He is a wingman asked to do a roll, but Cumberland even in the last game where he was dropped in took 5 marks (the total or Jack, Milkler and Ryan combined). Cumberland has had games of 8 and 6 tackles this season, so it is not like he doesn't tackle and pressure.

What tricky spot. You play an in form Cumberland over 2 continually out of position underperforming players any day of the week, especially when you struggle to dominate the worst side in years West Coast, and are 6 goals behind the third bottom side at 3/4 time.

You’re right, let’s get rid of all players with elite potential and just draft plain Jane hard workers that will do what they are told to become good role players
No risk strategy 101

View attachment 1758362

That’s literally not what I’m saying. I’m saying plenty don’t work out. You’re saying he has so much potential. I agree he does have some. But potential only gets you so far. Players try and live off their potential and get no where. Hence potential being a “dirty” word

Exactly what roll does Mansell actually play as a forward. He averages 8.4 disposals a game as a roaming forward. 2.5 marks a game, 2.8 tackles, 0.8 goals and 0.1 goal assists. He is hard at the ball I'll give you that, but he is not a small forward by any means.

Pickett has been asked to play Cumberland's roll, a bit of a marking target and try and bring the ball to ground, and he is hardly doing that. He is a wingman asked to do a roll, but Cumberland even in the last game where he was dropped in took 5 marks (the total or Jack, Milkler and Ryan combined). Cumberland has had games of 8 and 6 tackles this season, so it is not like he doesn't tackle and pressure.

What tricky spot. You play an in form Cumberland over 2 continually out of position underperforming players any day of the week, especially when you struggle to dominate the worst side in years West Coast, and are 6 goals behind the third bottom side at 3/4 time.

Cumberland comes in. Hibberd goes straight to him. Cumberland shits himself and not seen again for the year

That’s literally not what I’m saying. I’m saying plenty don’t work out. You’re saying he has so much potential. I agree he does. But potential only gets you so far.
Yeah of course, that’s obvious. I just think it’s absolute crazy he isn’t in our AFL team.

He would be in 17 other starting line ups 100%

We got no one in forward line that’s currently dangerous.
Us winning relies on Dusty, Shai and Taranto kicking goals otherwise we are ****ed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cumberland comes in. Hibberd goes straight to him. Cumberland shits himself and not seen again for the year
You’d be fun at parties

“I’m not gonna try pick up that chick cos the last one rejected me”

So you’d roll the dice on probably our biggest confidence player on a player that bitch slapped him into submission last time out?
How can you live in the past mate??
I feel sorry for you as you are clearly sheltered

Rolling the dice Fmd 🤣🤣🤣

I mean did you watch Cumbo last week in VFL?
**** me he is so elite around goals.. has many weapons, 1 step from 55, was even slotting them from the skinny side for his left.

How can they not reward that for both parties!!! The club and him

But let’s not play him cos Hibbered blanketed him 3 months ago.. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Rolling the dice Fmd 🤣🤣🤣

It’s like you think if we play Cumbo and he has a poor game it would’ve cost us the game cos Mansell or Miller would’ve set the world on fire 🤣🤣

How can you live in the past mate??
I feel sorry for you as you are clearly sheltered

Rolling the dice Fmd 🤣🤣🤣

I mean did you watch Cumbo last week in VFL?
* me he is so elite around goals.. has many weapons, 1 step from 55, was even slotting them from the skinny side for his left.

How can they not reward that for both parties!!! The club and him

But let’s not play him cos Hibbered blanketed him 3 months ago.. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Rolling the dice Fmd 🤣🤣🤣

It’s like you think if we play Cumbo and he has a poor game it would’ve cost us the game cos Mansell or Miller would’ve set the world on fire 🤣🤣

Mate seriously the hard on you have for this bloke is sick.
Does he deserve a spot? Most likely his form has been good.
Do I understand why he hasn’t been picked? Absolutely I can understand it.
Cumbo comes in for Miller who second rucks? How many marks we backing May and Lever on for?
Cumbo comes in for Mansell? Who applies ground ball pressure?

Cumbo comes in for Miller who second rucks? How many marks we backing May and Lever on for?
What has Cumberland got to do with Milller? Nothing.
Pickett yes, and Mansell's ground ball pressure is the difference between winning and losing against a top level side, you think.

It’s not only him I have a hard on for.

I have a hard on for elite talents with great potential that are in form and are way more dangerous than our current set up.

You’re looking at it wrong, you’re trying to find someone who he can replace when someone that’s in form kicking goals should be first in the forward line!

miller, Pickett, mansell, Graham aren’t forwards assholes
And Jack is clearly battling big time

Just crazy he ain’t selected this week

It’s not only him I have a hard on for.

I have a hard on for elite talents with great potential that are in form and are way more dangerous than our current set up.

You’re looking at it wrong, you’re trying to find someone who he can replace when someone that’s in form kicking goals should be first in the forward line!

miller, Pickett, mansell, Graham aren’t forwards assholes
And Jack is clearly battling big time

Just crazy he ain’t selected this week

I’m looking at it wrong? I’m giving justification for the match committee decision. So it’s not just me looking at it wrong if that’s your take.

Jack is battling, but he is competing his arse off against the best defenders each week. I agree he needs help.

The players you’re comparing him with is a completely different skill set to Cumbo.

If he got picked and I half expected him too there would be justification, just as there is for him not to be selected.

I’m looking at it wrong? I’m giving justification for the match committee decision. So it’s not just me looking at it wrong if that’s your take.

Jack is battling, but he is competing his arse off against the best defenders each week. I agree he needs help.

The players you’re comparing him with is a completely different skill set to Cumbo.

If he got picked and I half expected him too there would be justification, just as there is for him not to be selected.
I believe the only reason he didn’t get selected was cos we won

If we lost he would’ve been picked…

Our forward line sucks so badly.. it’s being carried by dusty, shai and Taranto kicking goals

We always bring cumberland in cold off a vfl bye and then people complain why he not performing. Total mismanagement
Exactly this…shits me beyond belief

Cumbo will be called up randomly and play in a side that gets beaten soundly and everyone will ping the finger at him for nor performing…gets dropped immediately…told to work on his deficiencies

coach calls him out ….rinse and repeat

just give him a fair crack at it ffs

hes a proven goal kicker…he gives opposition headaches…

we need someone like that up forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back