Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

No other club on BF spends pages on their board attacking other clubs posters personally as yours does in the "opposition supporters" thread in a truly disgraceful and cowardly way. Copying posts to a board with an unlevel playing field so you cant be called to account.
Strange comment considering your board has a thread that does exactly this and probably half of the posts in it belong to you.

THIS IS NOT A F#*KING "BANTER" THREAD. - not that you understand banter. Banter is NOT TROLLING.

If you want to discuss matchups, tactics, selections etc. fine.

If not then F#*KING PI$$ OFF BACK TO YOUR OWN BOARD.

This might be one of the rare games where Stringer plays with Cloke & Redpath. They're not great, but someone needs to play on them.

So who plays on Stringer? Tomlinson? Or is he more likely to go to Bont, who's spending half his time forward? Does Haynes take a player when necessary or typically play the Easton Wood role exclusively?

On the other hand, this is the week your bigger, slower forward line might have an advantage over the quicker one you've used out of necessity. Our KPDs atm are 18 and 20 and very light on. Daniher took us apart, even with Easton Wood as third man, so would be a mistake to take Lobb away from the forward line IMO.

This might be one of the rare games where Stringer plays with Cloke & Redpath. They're not great, but someone needs to play on them.

So who plays on Stringer? Tomlinson? Or is he more likely to go to Bont, who's spending half his time forward? Does Haynes take a player when necessary or typically play the Easton Wood role exclusively?

I'd guess Davis on Cloke, Tomlinson on Stringer and Corr on Redpath. I'd actually rather Corr on Stringer as he has a better burst of speed than the other two, but Tomlinson tends to player on the higher-running of the forwards.

Haynes can take a player and will do so from time to time but in general it's only part of rotations.

On the other hand, this is the week your bigger, slower forward line might have an advantage over the quicker one you've used out of necessity. Our KPDs atm are 18 and 20 and very light on. Daniher took us apart, even with Easton Wood as third man, so would be a mistake to take Lobb away from the forward line IMO.

The problem is that our talls tend to congest our own forward line, plus third men in. If Lobb and Patton worked out how to lead away from the ball or block their defender out it would be a lot more functional but too often you see both going for the same ball, leading their defenders in to the same space, and while they effectively bring the ball to ground we too rarely have a crumber to clean up the mess as Johnson can't make it there in time, Toby may be leading elsewhere, and Smith is only just back.

None of that will actually happen of course. Stringer is no threat to anyone, and we will play our zone defence. We will of course take Lobb away from rhe forward at times and use him as a ruck follower and as a big wingman around the ground.
You've got a clear weakness in talls and this has made it difficult for you win games this year. Beating lower ranked sides recently doesn't change anything.
It's a week for us to be proactive and play the game the way we wish to. Clearly we will exploit that weakness, particularly in the ruck where Dawson will get a rare opportunity to shine, ably backed up by Rory.

I'd guess Davis on Cloke, Tomlinson on Stringer and Corr on Redpath. I'd actually rather Corr on Stringer as he has a better burst of speed than the other two, but Tomlinson tends to player on the higher-running of the forwards.

Haynes can take a player and will do so from time to time but in general it's only part of rotations.

Corr seems like the kind of matchup Stringer struggles with when he's playing predominantly forward. I think the smart play for us is to probably have him spend as much time up the ground as possible this week. Another bigger body in the midfield is probably a must against yours anyway.

The problem is that our talls tend to congest our own forward line, plus third men in. If Lobb and Patton worked out how to lead away from the ball or block their defender out it would be a lot more functional but too often you see both going for the same ball, leading their defenders in to the same space, and while they effectively bring the ball to ground we too rarely have a crumber to clean up the mess as Johnson can't make it there in time, Toby may be leading elsewhere, and Smith is only just back.

Yeah, funnily the main thing our two KPFs do well is lead at the right time to good positions. They're very limited otherwise.

I guess what I'm saying re your forwards is that if ever there was a week that the positives of playing both close to goal will outweigh the negatives (that you listed), this may be it. Daniher and Hooker absolutely killed us in the air, including in pack marking situations close to goal, even with a third man. Fortunately, Hooker kicks with a blindfold on.

Lobb is the one that scares me most this week if he's played inside 50. Cordy is a fighter, but I just don't see how he nullifies Lobb, giving away 5-6 inches. There's no Easton Wood to bail him out either. We might have to bring in Fletcher Roberts specifically to try and deal with this. And he lost his place to the aforementioned teenagers, so... :oops:

Greene & Johnson v Biggs & Williams is probably the other key positional contest across the ground. JJ gets all the press, but those two, particularly Biggs in the last few weeks, have been really good for us both ways. If Greene keeps one occupied throughout (both ways) it'll really hurt our rebound.

Last edited:
My thing with this game is leon likes a contested ball scrap... but that's where the dogs are probably strongest. It's why they play well against us cos we try to go head to head with their biggest strength.

I would like us to open the game up a little bit this week, play more run and carry, daring football. Of course that means we will be exposed on the counter, but if you watched last week, the lesson I took was he dogs are vulnerable on the outside running game

Clearly we will exploit that weakness, particularly in the ruck where Dawson will get a rare opportunity to shine, ably backed up by Rory.

I couldn't imagine a game where the ruck contest will be less relevant, particularly with Mumford out.

My thing with this game is leon likes a contested ball scrap... but that's where the dogs are probably strongest. It's why they play well against us cos we try to go head to head with their biggest strength.

I would like us to open the game up a little bit this week, play more run and carry, daring football. Of course that means we will be exposed on the counter, but if you watched last week, the lesson I took was he dogs are vulnerable on the outside running game

Spot on. Brisbane have done it to us twice this year. They have some daring users off half back and a midfield/front half full of players that run hard towards goal once we turn it over. Biggest concern for us outside of our KPD issues.

Arent you due to be spade?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The word you're looking for is 'spayed', and that refers to neutering of female dogs. Male dogs get castrated. I know you're committed to sticking with your mutts jibe for Bulldogs fans so happy to help you keep your terminology accurate going forward.

On topic, looking forward to the match. Expect us to get a decent thrashing but stranger things have happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The word you're looking for is 'spayed', and that refers to neutering of female dogs. Male dogs get castrated. I know you're committed to sticking with your mutts jibe for Bulldogs fans so happy to help you keep your terminology accurate going forward.

On topic, looking forward to the match. Expect us to get a decent thrashing but stranger things have happened.
Your whinging like a bitch so easy misyake to make.

As for my spelling? Always been shit. Doesnt bother me on the whole. Its actually improving.

If you want finals then expecting a thrashing is poor form. We arent full strength (we have played 1 good game in the last 6)

So my guess is your doing the whole no downside spiel.

Your whinging like a bitch so easy misyake to make.

As for my spelling? Always been shit. Doesnt bother me on the whole. Its actually improving.

If you want finals then expecting a thrashing is poor form. We arent full strength (we have played 1 good game in the last 6)

So my guess is your doing the whole no downside spiel.

Pointing out an inaccuracy in a post is whinging? Rightyo then. Love your casual misogyny also.
Keep kicking goals, friend.

I couldn't imagine a game where the ruck contest will be less relevant, particularly with Mumford
:

Dawson is so much better than your best option, it's the best of our remaining games for Mummy to miss. Keep telling yourself it doesn't matter though, I think it's cute you think you have a chance.

Last edited:

OMG? A reasonable post from a dog's supporter.

Congratulations. You've stuck to the topic and done well.;)

Wood out will hurt you guys a lot, I reckon and given Simpson was unlucky to be dropped for Melbourne so went out and had 70 hit-outs:eek: in the magoos, I would expect him to come in for Mumford and leave Lobb rucking second only on very rare occasions. No Cameron and a General with a dodgy hamstring means Lobb will pretty much stay forward. Maybe Himmleberg will get swung back and forth depending.

Not sure who plays on Stringer. Maybe Tomlinson, but I haven't really had a look at the height comparison. Maybe Haynes, who can go up the ground with him, get in front and intercept him out of it. Tomlinson seems to really be improving on stay-at-home forwards, and Stringer really isn't one of those - then again, he has done the job on St Nick in the past so I wouldn't be surprised.

I certainly don't see him going to the Bont unless the Bont goes forward.

Both sides are sort of getting some mojo back and playing better football than earlier in the year - your home field advantage will make this one very close I reckon. Should be a cracker.

PS: see, a reasonable, considered post will in turn receive a reasonable considered response.

I couldn't imagine a game where the ruck contest will be less relevant, particularly with Mumford out.

Spot on. Brisbane have done it to us twice this year. They have some daring users off half back and a midfield/front half full of players that run hard towards goal once we turn it over. Biggest concern for us outside of our KPD issues.
Agreed. I thought earlier in the year in Canberra, we turned it into a slug fest and relied on getting one over the top and out the back too often. The painfully named "orange tsunami" is our best bet this week.

Its also our most attractive football

Wood out will hurt you guys a lot, I reckon and given Simpson was unlucky to be dropped for Melbourne so went out and had 70 hit-outs:eek: in the magoos, I would expect him to come in for Mumford and leave Lobb rucking second only on very rare occasions. No Cameron and a General with a dodgy hamstring means Lobb will pretty much stay forward. Maybe Himmleberg will get swung back and forth depending.

Not sure who plays on Stringer. Maybe Tomlinson, but I haven't really had a look at the height comparison. Maybe Haynes, who can go up the ground with him, get in front and intercept him out of it. Tomlinson seems to really be improving on stay-at-home forwards, and Stringer really isn't one of those - then again, he has done the job on St Nick in the past so I wouldn't be surprised.

Both sides are sort of getting some mojo back and playing better football than earlier in the year - your home field advantage will make this one very close I reckon. Should be a cracker.

PS: see, a reasonable, considered post will in turn receive a reasonable considered response.
I see dawson as a dominant force this week. Not just hi tap work( He is massive... bigger than mummy) but he provided a similar tackling pressure two weeks ago

Intereestingly when he took a mark, he was trusted to kick it unlike mummy who has players streaming off him for the handball

It was Tian to. I was amazed

It was Tian to. I was amazed

You're much more trusting than me I have to say. Which is fair enough, cynicism rightfully belongs to the aging and the aged. It's not pleasant, but it is more accurate.

"some" is the operative word there. We still almost lost to Brisbane despite eviscerating them at stoppages. We won't have anywhere near that advantage at stoppages this week, if any.

I see dawson as a dominant force this week. Not just hi tap work( He is massive... bigger than mummy) but he provided a similar tackling pressure two weeks ago

Intereestingly when he took a mark, he was trusted to kick it unlike mummy who has players streaming off him for the handball

Simpson will win the hit out count, without doubt, probably by lots. But... so does every opposition ruckman against us. It's immaterial to how we've structured for stoppages the last three years.

Mumford's ground level work is where he would have hurt us (also, literally). IMO, the key to Simpson having a real influence isn't if he has 40+ hit outs (you can lock that in now), it's how he fares once the ball's on the deck, or when there are CMs around the ground up for grabs. Personally, I think that match-up will be a wash and won't have much bearing on the result.

"some" is the operative word there. We still almost lost to Brisbane despite eviscerating them at stoppages. We won't have anywhere near that advantage at stoppages this week, if any.

Simpson will win the hit out count, without doubt, probably by lots. But... so does every opposition ruckman against us. It's immaterial to how we've structured for stoppages the last three years.

Mumford's ground level work is where he would have hurt us (also, literally). IMO, the key to Simpson having a real influence isn't if he has 40+ hit outs (you can lock that in now), it's how he fares once the ball's on the deck, or when there are CMs around the ground up for grabs. Personally, I think that match-up will be a wash and won't have much bearing on the result.
You seriously misunderstand ruckwork, understandable becuase you dont have a competent ruck.
An appropriate analogy is a tug of war, with both teams usually fairly evenly matched small differences will decide the result.That's where strategy is relevant. If, however, there's a large different in weight then strategy doesn't really matter, power will win.
Previous years are clearly irrelevant as the changes to the rule this year removed the ability to avoid a one on one contest, except by opting out of the contest entirely.
I'm sure Dawson will be training this week the option of taking direct posession or using the lack of opposition to feed the outside mids in space directly with dominant punches if this happens. It probably will.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back