Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone going to be in Melbourne, feel free to come to Munich Brau Haus a lazy 10 minute walk to the ground in Southbank. Have a cracking Friday afternoon Happy Hour including $5 pints and $1 Buffalo wings from 5-7. After we gorge, WE MARCH!

I'll be the only guy there in Giants gear. Say hi.

Corr Davis Haynes
Wilson Tommo Shaw
Kelly Ward Scully
Greene Lids Whitfield
Smith Patton DeBoar

Lobb Sheil Cogs

Kennedy Williams Steve Hopper

That's what I would pick!
Keep that forward line mobile
Oh thank christ. Whenever i get a notification in the game thread and its Raymann i think injuries.

375d3629002f37ff10248a71fa332e35.gif

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edit. Nice team

Round 21

Western Bulldogs v GIANTS
Friday August 11, 7:50pm
Etihad Stadium

TEAM

FB: Aidan Corr, Nick Haynes, Nathan Wilson
HB: Adam Tomlinson, Phil Davis, Josh Kelly
C: Lachie Whitfield, Dylan Shiel, Heath Shaw
HF: Brett Deledio, Harry Himmelberg, Steve Johnson
FF: Tom Scully, Jonny Patton, Callan Ward
RR: Rory Lobb, Stephen Coniglio, Jacob Hopper

Interchange: Zac Williams, Matt de Boer, Toby Greene, Matt Kennedy

In: Toby Greene, Jonny Patton
Out: Shane Mumford (suspension), Devon Smith (knee)

Emergencies: Dawson Simpson, Harry Perryman, Daniel Lloyd

Dreaded knee, I week expected. Always someone. Rory can ruck no prob, I thought with Jezza still our we'd want him forward. In Leon I trust.
Thought we would want Rory fwd to.

Oh well. Hopefully works.

More worried now than i was this morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought we would want Rory fwd to.

Oh well. Hopefully works.

More worried now than i was this morning.

Toby wont have to waste his time giving nasty looks to Johannisen at least. He's not playing either. Roughead is their one good tall, and mediocre ruck. Rory eats him for breakfast

Fingers crossed.

Look at the opposition they've been playing recently. Only side they've beat I'd rate is the Bombers. We've been playing the best in the comp with the exeption of Freo.( sorry Simmofreo, purely ladder position)
They just aren't what they were last year.

Look at the opposition they've been playing recently. Only side they've beat I'd rate is the Bombers. We've been playing the best in the comp with the exeption of Freo.( sorry Simmofreo, purely ladder position)
They just aren't what they were last year.
True.

Doesn't matter who they've played recently. They've won 4 in a row, they're playing at home, and despite winning all three at Docklands last year, we don't actually play the venue all that well - and have lost to both Carlton and St Kilda there this year - Carlton and St Kilda, think about that. We also don't have a particularly good record against them. I'm not going to go as far as saying "bogey team", there's plenty we've worse records against than them, but still, it's not a great record.

They play the ground well, they play us well. They are the reigning premiers fighting to stay in the eight.

If we win this, it will be by a bee's d*ck.

Doesn't matter who they've played recently. They've won 4 in a row, they're playing at home, and despite winning all three at Docklands last year, we don't actually play the venue all that well - and have lost to both Carlton and St Kilda there this year - Carlton and St Kilda, think about that. We also don't have a particularly good record against them. I'm not going to go as far as saying "bogey team", there's plenty we've worse records against than them, but still, it's not a great record.

They play the ground well, they play us well. They are the reigning premiers fighting to stay in the eight.

If we win this, it will be by a bee's d*ck.
How can you say it doesn't matter who've they've played recently? It's a critical factor in judging their form. They are at home but our record at Etthiad is par for the last 10 games played. We've won 2-3 and 3-5 going back. That goes back to round 23 2014, any further is meaningless given we weren't competitive then. Perfectly reasonable to predict a dominant win surely.
Anythings possible and of course we have to turn up, but nevertheless.

Toby wont have to waste his time giving nasty looks to Johannisen at least.

Johannisen is out of the side, not listed on the team sheets. Unless a shifty is pulled with a late change he won't be playing

From our perspective, very happy that Lobb will be spending 80% of the game away from goal. He scares me a lot more as a forward, for the aforementioned reasons. I'd certainly rather your 40+ hitouts come at the expense of him as a marking option I50.

On the other side, JJ still out is a big concern, we don't have any other players with that kind of speed in defence or midfield, and he's been a valuable goal kicker when moved forward. Our field kicking will need to be on because I'm not sure we can break the lines. Dunkley back in adds some much needed size, though.

With GWS going small and Stringer & Dickson in for us, it seems like this will be a pretty frenetic and entertaining game.

Suspect Simpson as an emergency might be a ruse though. Bit of cat & mouse.

On a different note, when did Jon Patton start getting the "Jonny" treatment in the team sheet? Is that a recent thing? Always wondered who makes the call on that stuff, like how Jackson Macrae for us just became Jack one day. Surely the players DGAF...

How can you say it doesn't matter who've they've played recently? It's a critical factor in judging their form. They are at home but our record at Etthiad is par for the last 10 games played. We've won 2-3 and 3-5 going back. That goes back to round 23 2014, any further is meaningless given we weren't competitive then. Perfectly reasonable to predict a dominant win surely.
Anythings possible and of course we have to turn up, but nevertheless.

I think the last line is the telling one, to be frank we haven't been of late, and whilst I agree the dogs are below their best by a margin, so have we been.
IF we turn up and apply the same pressure acts as we did last week we should win comfortably, IF.

From our perspective, very happy that Lobb will be spending 80% of the game away from goal. He scares me a lot more as a forward, for the aforementioned reasons. I'd certainly rather your 40+ hitouts come at the expense of him as a marking option I50.

On the other side, JJ still out is a big concern, we don't have any other players with that kind of speed in defence or midfield, and he's been a valuable goal kicker when moved forward. Our field kicking will need to be on because I'm not sure we can break the lines. Dunkley back in adds some much needed size, though.

With GWS going small and Stringer & Dickson in for us, it seems like this will be a pretty frenetic and entertaining game.

I think it's a deliberate move to keep the forward line unpredictable, something we did for the first time this year last week and it worked.
Rory wants to be the next giant # 1 ruck, this is a chance to show his wares, he is as likely to be BOG as irrelevant..

Suspect Simpson as an emergency might be a ruse though. Bit of cat & mouse.

On a different note, when did Jon Patton start getting the "Jonny" treatment in the team sheet? Is that a recent thing? Always wondered who makes the call on that stuff, like how Jackson Macrae for us just became Jack one day. Surely the players DGAF...

He is Jonathon normally, where are you seeing Jonny?

Rory is as good a tap ruck as we have, did expect him around the ground relieving in his usual role. Himmelburg will play as a tall forward no doubt. and he's underrated. Against the Tigers we played Haynes forward on rance and against Freo we started Corr there.
With Wood out I exoect we wont play a tall back deep forward this week, Himmelburg is a versatile player and is fine defensively.
Clearly the strategy is a small forward line and precise entries, which will suffer a bit without Devons passing into the 50, but Delidio should be on an upwards curve.

I think the last line is the telling one, to be frank we haven't been of late, and whilst I agree the dogs are below their best by a margin, so have we been.
IF we turn up and apply the same pressure acts as we did last week we should win comfortably, IF.

I think it's a deliberate move to keep the forward line unpredictable, something we did for the first time this year last week and it worked.
Rory wants to be the next giant # 1 ruck, this is a chance to show his wares, he is as likely to be BOG as irrelevant..

He is Jonathon normally, where are you seeing Jonny?
:D I think the telling line is we've had much harder opposition than the Bulldogs recently and that makes their form in comparison look better than it is.
It's a matter of opinion of course, and it's very dull without diverse opinions. But there has been a vibe that you cant back our team with confidence of late that I find a trifle annoying.
Cest la vie

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 21 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 11th August, 7.50pm, Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back