Autopsy Round 21, 2022: Hawks dim the Sims

Remove this Banner Ad

Two of the form players of the comp have been Touk and Rankine. Finn shutting Touk down won us the game. Even more impressive than his job on Landgon. Hardwick made Rankine look second rate.

Gunston made Collins look like a slow plodder.

I feel we always look better at the cente bounce with Mitchell not in there. There is always space at the centre bounce for players with burst pace to exploit. Mitchell doesn't have that. And he loses his feet too often. The combo of Moore, Newc, Jaeger was used alot today. I thought they looked all looked good.

Jeka has turned his career around in the last month. Day has played his two best games of the season in a row. Newcombe good but guilty of overusing the ball. Bruest good. Moore good.

Ward has been outstanding since his return to the side after the concussion.

So nice to finally have a mid who can hit players on a lead. It has been a while.

Ward did it more today than some others have done all year

It's nice of our forwards to lead at the ball carrier for once too.

I was really impressed with Ward kicking and decision making today
I thought his decision-making was a bit iffy in his first block of games, but it's picked up since he's comeback into the side. Given his high IQ, his decision-making will only continue to improve.

Wasn’t stressed on whether we won today, happy with our season so far, and looking at a top 5 draft pick.
But I genuinely think wins like this mean a lot. They really had to fight and hold firm for long periods. It’s a good character building win.
Plus, winning in your captains 250th also means something

On the game, Moore, Omeara (first3 qtrs) and Newcombe were strong I. The middle. Newcombes marking has improved a lot as this season has progressed.
Finn, his job on miller was outstanding. He gave them no run at all. Huge game
Hardwick, what do you say. Best small defender in the game…shame no one else actually realises this outside of hawthorn
Gunston, excellent again

The kids, Ward is growing quickly, McDonald was solid, butler started well but slowed but you can see he’s got talent. Enjoyed Serongs first hit out. Didn’t look out of place.

Shout out to McEvoy who in his 250th game, and after a significant neck injury, rucked one out for most of the day and battled Manfully.

Last point, the umpiring in the second half was abysmal. Similar to last night. Honestly felt like two different sets of rules depending on jumper Color.

I thought his decision-making was a bit iffy in his first block of games, but it's picked up since he's comeback into the side. Given his high IQ, his decision-making will only continue to improve.
Similar to Finn, I think confidence and time is needed.
Both have had some continuity now. Good signs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it once, I’ll say it again… Gunston is and absolute gun!!!
Really pleasing to see him turn around his early season form where he was still getting lots of shots but just not finding the goals like he always has. Moving well too, hopefully has a few years left.

How is the difference watching our midfield today as opposed early 2021?

Mitchells midfield revolution is more than underway, its a quite amazing transformation. Add Amon and another quality kid and it should continue its rapid improvement next season.

Reeves, Newcomb, Moore, Ward, McGuiness, Nash, McDonald. 7 additions from the start of last season.

Bravo Sam.

Last edited:
just got back from the game, good 1st half, 2nd not so much. Very breezy not sure if that showEd on Tv or not.

the maggots in blue were just god damn awful, swallow threw the ball 10 metres umpire 13 with a clear view just ignores it. Horrendous
We fell over the line, but the umpires in the last were highly questionable.

Just watched on delay in hot Croatia.

We fell across the line. Agree with all the comments above. Ward, Newcombe and Moore very good. The midfield is clearly improving. Nash is an under rated player. Maguiness continues to impress. Athletic beast and so disciplined. You have to like it.
Jack was the difference.
Dimma excellent. Sic and Scrim ok but both made bad decisions.
Jeka slowly but surely. Loved the Serong mark.

Umpiring in the last gave the GC every chance.

Good game to win. Great for BB and the winning culture.

Everyone had a superb game and too many to name but let me name two of them.
1) Moore: I think we have discovered a midfielder who can win the ball and move at lightning speed. Please keep him there for the rest of the season and make the call later.
2) Maginness: How much more can he do as a tagger. Was excellent again shutting down key players each week. His work is not appreciated enough. Absolutely solid and with time he will be all Australian.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2022: Hawks dim the Sims

Remove this Banner Ad

Back