Review Round 21, 2024 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticed a fair few times tonight Dougal Howard would push up the ground for the press but Joey would stay back 20-30 metres behind him closer to our forward line. Dont think during the night neither of the decisions had much impact during play but it was just an interesting tactic that he didnt follow Howard down the whole way.

Think about all the things we wanted from this team after losing to the Hawks.

Rayner to step up.
Mccluggage to start being able to kick goals
Berry to become solid and tougher
Willmot to develop further.
Daniher to go another level.
Have a legitimate third tall forward option (morris)
Bailey to get into form
The players that are not your stars to play a role and play well (Ah Chee, Oscar, Starcevich)
What we wanted out of season 2024 and now getting it the last 5-7 weeks.

He highlighted his intensity for the contest slipping in off the ball pressure which in an underhanded way puts a bit of a spotlight on whatever Starc's doing.

Which is just sneaky narky Ross all over.
Starce and 200 others

It felt like us Lions' fans were way noisier but yeah, there wasn't much atmosphere there for the most part.

Lions fans could be heard clearly on the tv. Love the chant at the end.

So glad the Victorian fans are getting to be at a lions master class..

Last edited:
Saints played as well as we let them. Pressure was elite the whole game. We're getting better at that. We were miserly in defense. Higgins, Membury, etc kept very quiet. Excellent team win. A team that really looks like they are enjoying the challenge and enjoying their football.

Rayner has found his groove. Lohmann is everywhere. Neale n Andrews leading like captains should. Starce is back. Big O getting better n better. Prior n Brain, beaten once or twice, but neither gave up and probably ended up having the better of their match ups. Henry, taking on more, showing promising signs.

Gotta be happy with the way we're going. Good form, good depth, great spirit.

Not sure I agree (and not sure we lose much anyway).

Smith deserved a go based on not only his 2's performances, but Fort's effort against GWS. He got absolutely monstered.

Fort hasn't been the same player up forward either, since his first season with us.
…and while Oscar is fit we need to start blooding his future replacement. Fort filled the role when he can in and Hippy had his ACL, but he’s not the future.

Agree with all of the positive sentiments regarding some of the more maligned players in our side. If Cam can continue this form, it’s scary to think what he might be able to help us achieve given the way players of his type have been the difference in big finals in recent years.
Lohmann looks like he could be an A grader. His hands and strength almost remind me a bit of a young Heeney. Wilmot and him absolute steals in that 2021 draft.

Finally, Smith has ruck craft. Not to speak disparagingly of any player, but he showed more today than Fullarton ever did for us IMO. Could really be one to persist with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libs fans could be heard clearly on the tv. Love the chant at the end.

So glad the Victorian fans are getting to be at a lions master class..
Could any of the songs after goals be heard after goals? The bay a couple across from ours in the top tier behind the goals tried to get a few of them going (Charlie, Cam, Zac, Hugh) but by the time the rest of us cottoned on, it was kind of over. And meanwhile you often had the cheer squad down below doing their own chant.

Think it has a lot of potential on the road if it can somehow be better coordinated!

Outstanding win, so dominate we believe it that much and loose the next game.

We had our foot on their necks all game and pressed down with our heels in the last Qtr, we thing we have it all now, believe our own press and loose the next game.

It was great to see Fagan almost immediately talk about GWS next week.

****, just keep our heads in the right space, the job is not done but by god it looks like it. We are a much better TEAM than we were last year we are covering for each other and everyone is contributing.

Seemed to be that's what they're doing with Smith at the moment. He's taken Joe's place as 2nd ruck and rucking while Big O is on the bench or has drifted forward.
Once again, have to give Fages credit for selecting him and then persevering with him after a pretty ordinary debut game. He is definitely getting better every game and showing some good attributes.

Extremely professional performance, I was worried that we were due to drop one for various reasons but this group has impressed me yet again. What I am most impressed with is our away form. That's 5 away games in a row that we've won.
I think the 3 early losses at the Gabba has forced us to have to play well away.
And all bar the woeful efforts in Perth against Freo and the Hawks at Marvel we have played very well away from home and some of our better wins have come away.

So David King says todays team is the best version of ourselves without Hipwood in it and should not be brought back in.:drunk:

Sorry but Hipwood is miles ahead of Smith and todays team can be better with Jack Payne in as well.
Yep our best team for finals from the team yesterday would be.

Outs- Henry Smith, the other out is a hard one... either of Shadeau Brain/Jaxon Prior.

Ins- Eric Hipwood, Jack Payne.

So David King says todays team is the best version of ourselves without Hipwood in it and should not be brought back in.:drunk:

Sorry but Hipwood is miles ahead of Smith and todays team can be better with Jack Payne in as well.

It was clear that even with an undersized Saints forward line their best success came with the Prior on Membrey matchup. Prior did really well in the game but in the few circumstances there was a one on one against Membrey in the fifty he lost which was going to happen to any of Zorko, Wilmot or Brain as well. They didn’t even have Max King.

Smith is great and I said after the Sydney game he had it even with a rougher showing. I’m really glad he’s had these extra two games to show it as well. He’s now 100% next in line if any of our tall forwards or Oscar goes down and that’s a big step up from last year. Fort is an incredibly serviceable backup so being able to work your way past him is a great show of development.

However, Hipwood is a better fit and choice for us. Joe isn’t going to get great service in a wide open fifty every game and benefits from backup rucking to get him in the game. Hipwood is better in the air and at just kicking goals and is an amazing link up player. Morris is the only player who could go out but is a better link up player and most things he touches leads to a score.

So really it’s whether the match committee thinks the extra attacking power in Morris is preferable over a second ruck that can help us win the clearance battle.

It was clear that even with an undersized Saints forward line their best success came with the Prior on Membrey matchup. Prior did really well in the game but in the few circumstances there was a one on one against Membrey in the fifty he lost which was going to happen to any of Zorko, Wilmot or Brain as well. They didn’t even have Max King.

Smith is great and I said after the Sydney game he had it even with a rougher showing. I’m really glad he’s had these extra two games to show it as well. He’s now 100% next in line if any of our tall forwards or Oscar goes down and that’s a big step up from last year. Fort is an incredibly serviceable backup so being able to work your way past him is a great show of development.

However, Hipwood is a better fit and choice for us. Joe isn’t going to get great service in a wide open fifty every game and benefits from backup rucking to get him in the game. Hipwood is better in the air and at just kicking goals and is an amazing link up player. Morris is the only player who could go out but is a better link up player and most things he touches leads to a score.

So really it’s whether the match committee thinks the extra attacking power in Morris is preferable over a second ruck that can help us win the clearance battle.
I do wonder if we role with Smith for another couple of weeks as a better chop out for Oscar.
Oscar has had a big year and when he was in the ruck yesterday he absolutely flogged Marshall.
But a bit more bench time in the last few weeks might be really beneficial for Oscar to keep him Cherry ripe for Finals.
If that’s the case when Hippy comes back in it is for Morris, I think we are a better team with Morris in there but for Oscars sake maybe we run with that line up for 2 weeks and then role back to Daniher as back up ruck for the last game against Essendon, with Morris back in the team.

Fantastic performance from our team. We're hitting our straps now and looking to find a nother gear as we head into September.

Rayner superb as was Andrews down back. Our younger guys are developing well. Fletcher looks very sharp and ready to impact games. Lohmann is a very important piece of the forward line mix for us. Bailey has barely been sighted which should help as he will likely go big come finals time.

We did what good teams do. We were professional and we were ruthless. Great signs. I thought we smashed them in the contest. Starcevich was so good down back. Oscar controlled the ruck. Our midfield dominated and our forwards were super efficient.

Also credit to Charlie Cameron for his work ethic up forward. He might not be kicking the amount of goals he would like or has in other years but his harassment and forward pressure was outstanding.

Finally Cam Rayner has played the best footy of his life in the last month. Consistency has always bene his problem but it feels like he has arrived and is playing like a no1 pick. The X factor all clubs need to win a Premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Back