Review Round 21, 2024 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I do wonder if we role with Smith for another couple of weeks as a better chop out for Oscar.
Oscar has had a big year and when he was in the ruck yesterday he absolutely flogged Marshall.
But a bit more bench time in the last few weeks might be really beneficial for Oscar to keep him Cherry ripe for Finals.
If that’s the case when Hippy comes back in it is for Morris, I think we are a better team with Morris in there but for Oscars sake maybe we run with that line up for 2 weeks and then role back to Daniher as back up ruck for the last game against Essendon, with Morris back in the team.
I would rather not play with too many talls so just give the Big O a game off and play Henry as the ruck if O needs a rest right now, although there is a pre finals bye for a freshen up for all our players, plus if we win the QF we get another week off pre the Prelim.

Could any of the songs after goals be heard after goals? The bay a couple across from ours in the top tier behind the goals tried to get a few of them going (Charlie, Cam, Zac, Hugh) but by the time the rest of us cottoned on, it was kind of over. And meanwhile you often had the cheer squad down below doing their own chant.

Think it has a lot of potential on the road if it can somehow be better coordinated!
Could hear a few from up the top, and a few groups pocketed around would try and join in. But the timing was all over the top. Probably only Country Roads and the Lions chant got major consistency across the a fair bit of the ground

Could hear a few from up the top, and a few groups pocketed around would try and join in. But the timing was all over the top. Probably only Country Roads and the Lions chant got major consistency across the a fair bit of the ground

I watch the highlights again and the joy on the faces of Lions' supporters was awesome. The kids especially were loving it!

Extremely professional performance, I was worried that we were due to drop one for various reasons but this group has impressed me yet again. What I am most impressed with is our away form. That's 5 away games in a row that we've won.
Convinced we are playing better away than home this year.

So David King says todays team is the best version of ourselves without Hipwood in it and should not be brought back in.:drunk:

Sorry but Hipwood is miles ahead of Smith and todays team can be better with Jack Payne in as well.
another headline from King. Flips and flops regularly, had Sydney winning it earlier in the year, now jumped on us.

We were good yesterday but Saints were terrible, with no real tall or power forwards. Not sure if Payne will be back, but he is a must against the better teams, and so is Eric a must.

another headline from King. Flips and flops regularly, had Sydney winning it earlier in the year, now jumped on us.

We were good yesterday but Saints were terrible, with no real tall or power forwards. Not sure if Payne will be back, but he is a must against the better teams, and so is Eric a must.
Agree. The only way you would consider Smith over Hipwood is if Daniher is not able to be the second ruck.

He was pretty firm earlier this season on the fact that our best chance was last year.

Mind you he also said back in 2020 that we'd never get a better chance with the entire sport being hosted by Queensland.

So David King says todays team is the best version of ourselves without Hipwood in it and should not be brought back in.:drunk:

Sorry but Hipwood is miles ahead of Smith and todays team can be better with Jack Payne in as well.

When he said it you could see Leigh Montagna slightly jolt from a brain aneurism.

I think Smith being in has been very handy. He forced his way in with his VFL form but it has allowed Big O and even Daniher to shoulder less of the ruck load. I don’t think he will be in our finals team if Hipwood is fit but it’s been good for his development.

Big O is going to be critical and we need to keep him fresh. The bye will help us a lot. Noticed we had a few mids being managed a bit more in the second half yesterday too.

It helps if your second ruck can actually ruck. Daniher was a lot fresher as well.

I think Smith has a long way to go but he has the physique and has improved considerably in getting his hands to the ball since his first game . He's also comparatively mobile compared to Oscar at the same stage.

I can't see him staying in if Hipwood comes back , unless Hipwood went to defence again , but at least we have unearthed another option.

I think Smith being in has been very handy. He forced his way in with his VFL form but it has allowed Big O and even Daniher to shoulder less of the ruck load. I don’t think he will be in our finals team if Hipwood is fit but it’s been good for his development.

Big O is going to be critical and we need to keep him fresh. The bye will help us a lot. Noticed we had a few mids being managed a bit more in the second half yesterday too.

I liked that Smith did most of the rucking in the last. Would've learnt a lot. I think Marshall's second goal especially would've been a big learning experience on the workrate required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the big O our most improved player that was already in the 22 this year? He has been huge, he has been consistent and his tap work has been so much better than it has in the past.
I get your point, but I'll just leave Cam Rayner here.

With top 2 or 4 on the line we won't be managing Oscar or anyone else that does not have an injury.
The players have 3 games to go, 2 being at home then they get a break.

With Smiths form being solid and depending on Hippys injury they may give Eric another week seeing it is a groin injury. They can be tricky to get right.

…and while Oscar is fit we need to start blooding his future replacement. Fort filled the role when he can in and Hippy had his ACL, but he’s not the future.
Smith has shown incremental improvement from his first game in the seconds. Played as well as I hoped he could at this stage of his development. Even early in the game his body language was good, like he felt he belonged. A couple of times he lead to really good places and drew two defenders, who spoilt but our spare got the ball. Resulted directly in a goal at least once.

Need to moderate our expectations but peak Smith (4 years time maybe) could be very good.

I would rather not play with too many talls so just give the Big O a game off and play Henry as the ruck if O needs a rest right now, although there is a pre finals bye for a freshen up for all our players, plus if we win the QF we get another week off pre

I do wonder if we role with Smith for another couple of weeks as a better chop out for Oscar.
Oscar has had a big year and when he was in the ruck yesterday he absolutely flogged Marshall.
But a bit more bench time in the last few weeks might be really beneficial for Oscar to keep him Cherry ripe for Finals.
If that’s the case when Hippy comes back in it is for Morris, I think we are a better team with Morris in there but for Oscars sake maybe we run with that line up for 2 weeks and then role back to Daniher as back up ruck for the last game against Essendon, with Morris back in the team.
Hey Dalions. I like the use of role rather than roll. He is playing a role as backup ruckman, getting what may be crucial experience if O gets hurt. If this happens we will have to roll with Smith and he will be able to roll into that role with runs on the board.

[emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="Squizz[emoji[emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
I noticed the ice was off once the game was finished. As I said during the match thread think it was Charlie just being Charlie. He’ll be right.

Charlie always walks like he’s on the verge of doing a hamstring; and has for years lol. I think he’s just someone they take extra precaution with

Hey Dalions. I like the use of role rather than roll. He is playing a role as backup ruckman, getting what may be crucial experience if O gets hurt. If this happens we will have to roll with Smith and he will be able to roll into that role with runs on the board.
Let’s just role with that then.

Post day clarity form Saints fans in their review thread has pinpointed the real reason they lost: Academies and F/Ss! Without them they would have thrashed us last night.
How dare we trade for Dunkley !!

Insane small club syndrome from their supporters.
Saints fans trying to claim victim status, just need their club to be better, 1 Premiership in over 100 years of existence doesn't quite cut the mustard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Back