Review Round 21, 2024 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How dare we trade for Dunkley !!

Insane small club syndrome from their supporters.
Was listening to SEN in Vic earlier and one of their callers called in asking why they've recruited in so many spuds from other clubs - his words not mine - citing the likes of Dow, Wood, Howard, Stocker etc. Another club that IMO just recruits any opposition player without any really planning and just taking whoever is willing to come to them and still unable to land a big fish despite years and years of unsuccessfully trying to land one.

Convinced we are playing better away than home this year.
I think, in general, we are playing better overall (post round 7). We have some players down on form, or injured, yet seem to be playing selfless team-first football.

For example, without looking at the stats, it seems like we have better structure behind the ball when it turns over and that we aren’t getting scored as easily against showing everyone in the structure is working hard back. Charlie and Lohmann chasing hard to keep the ball locked into forward 50 has also been a hallmark of our game.

We’ve also tightened up stoppages (again without looking at numbers) where Oscar and the mids seem more connected. Though he isn’t playing to his best right now, the injection of Ashcroft back into the midfield rotations has aided that IMO as we look more dangerous with him in there than a Lyons.

Rayner is not just fending off tackles he’s walking through them with a disrespectful confidence.
Breaking that first ring of the contest almost at will is like gold and drops the heads of opposition let alone the opportunities it opens up forward of the ball as a result.

Rayner is not just fending off tackles he’s walking through them with a disrespectful confidence.
Breaking that first ring of the contest almost at will is like gold and drops the heads of opposition let alone the opportunities it opens up forward of the ball as a result.

He seems to be shrugging away key position defenders like Battle so it's no surprise when he explodes through the midfield bodies.

A note of appreciation for Henry Smith as well.

There were many contests yesterday where I felt he was a bit too far but somehow he'll stretch beyond 1 or sometimes 2 defenders to bring the ball to ground. Daniher got a goal straight out of that and was very appreciative of the work Henry did there to create the opportunity.

Looks like we got a good ruck depth and third tall if we ever need it. Great work by Henry Smith yesterday.

The real benefit of Cam finally arriving as elite is that now it makes it really hard for teams to defend against our midfield. Who do you tag? Lachie probably but then Cam comes in and blows you apart with bursts. Tag Rayner? Can't really afford to but if you do, Lachie is off the leash. Then you've got Dunkley and Berry mopping everything up and then you are forgetting about Cluggs. Even if somehow you can nullify all of that, WAshcroft is looking ready to explode back in to form as well. Ok let's say you an contain them, sub in Bruuuuuce and you've got a laser look foot to deal with and another big body.

Then on top of all of that, you've got Lohmann literally popping up all over the ground to provide another option and Fletcher who while not as good, is also proving capable of finding something in big moments. Exciting times.

Post day clarity form Saints fans in their review thread has pinpointed the real reason they lost: Academies and F/Ss! Without them they would have thrashed us last night.

Yessss yessssss

chris rock adult humor GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real benefit of Cam finally arriving as elite is that now it makes it really hard for teams to defend against our midfield. Who do you tag? Lachie probably but then Cam comes in and blows you apart with bursts. Tag Rayner? Can't really afford to but if you do, Lachie is off the leash. Then you've got Dunkley and Berry mopping everything up and then you are forgetting about Cluggs. Even if somehow you can nullify all of that, WAshcroft is looking ready to explode back in to form as well. Ok let's say you an contain them, sub in Bruuuuuce and you've got a laser look foot to deal with and another big body.
I can't remember which coach said it in their presser, it may have been Ross last time we played St. Kilda? But, they said something along these lines - that tagging Neale didn't work because Clug just took his place as the influential midfielder + you can't have 2 midfield players tagging oppo players without interrupting you're own gameplan.

Our touted lack of fitness on this board by some including me does not seem to be an issue, we look to be running out games strongly.
There is obviously a balance that comes into play with keeping the fitness to be able to play 4 quarters hard every week without risking injuries due to fatigue vs enough time for rest and recovery etc. and trying to make sure fatigue isn't an issue late in the season.
I would imagine getting the balance right is one of the more difficult things for teams and clubs to do.

There is obviously a balance that comes into play with keeping the fitness to be able to play 4 quarters hard every week without risking injuries due to fatigue vs enough time for rest and recovery etc. and trying to make sure fatigue isn't an issue late in the season.
I would imagine getting the balance right is one of the more difficult things for teams and clubs to do.
An underrated factor is match fitness. Provided your body's right young athletes harden up with match fitness as they get into the grind of the season and their bodies adjust to the tempo and physicality. At the start of the year we were probably under prepared compared to some others mainly due to the late finish in '23 and a preparation rightfully targeted at the end of the season. We still imagined we'd get away with it in more games than we did .

Post day clarity form Saints fans in their review thread has pinpointed the real reason they lost: Academies and F/Ss! Without them they would have thrashed us last night.
My favourite is that we’re getting Levi for “free”. Nevermind we’re paying through the nose for him, as we should.

An underrated factor is match fitness. Provided your body's right young athletes harden up with match fitness as they get into the grind of the season and their bodies adjust to the tempo and physicality. At the start of the year we were probably under prepared compared to some others mainly due to the late finish in '23 and a preparation rightfully targeted at the end of the season. We still imagined we'd get away with it in more games than we did .
Could only be my perception but it seems like there are less ACL/Ankle/Shoulder injuries later in the season when the bolded starts to have an effect?

Not sure if there are statistics on what stage of a season injuries occur, it would be an interesting stat.

I actually think Ross Lyon cops it a bit too much, he has got 2 clubs to Grand Finals and was a toe poke and a bounce of the ball from winning a couple of flags.

Game probably passed him by now though.
ZoBlitz, card this man!

St Kilda v Brisbane
8 Lachie Neale (BL)
6 Cameron Rayner (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
5 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
3 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
2 Joe Daniher (BL)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)

St Kilda v Brisbane
8 Lachie Neale (BL)
6 Cameron Rayner (BL)
5 Oscar McInerney (BL)
5 Hugh McCluggage (BL)
3 Brandon Starcevich (BL)
2 Joe Daniher (BL)
1 Harris Andrews (BL)

Neale - (4,4)

Rayner (3,3)

Big O 5,0?

Clug 5,0?

Stace1,2

Joe 2,0

Harris 0,1?

Absolute raffle as to who got what.

Could only be my perception but it seems like there are less ACL/Ankle/Shoulder injuries later in the season when the bolded starts to have an effect?

Not sure if there are statistics on what stage of a season injuries occur, it would be an interesting stat.
I was interested in your question so had a quick look.

Hipwood - July
Rayner - March
Ashcroft - July
Coleman - March
Gardner - May
McArthy - May
Lane - July
Skinner - August
McFadden - July

So on that maybe some indication its slightly earlier in the season.

The question might be - Are more ACL done on Queensland grounds (yes all of them) are more ACL's done at the Gabba or Gold Coast or in training ? (the Gabba and the lions have had meetings with the Gabba to review it with they say 8 ACL's done in more recent times including Sam Docherty against us in March.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21, 2024 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane Lions

Back