Round 21 changes: Footscray v Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Baffles me why Melbourne continue with Petty at full forward. 6.14 from 16 games has to be the worst return for a key forward in the league.
Reminds me a bit of the half-season we played Cordy in the ruck and forward a couple of years ago, though we were under no illusions that Cordy should play better than what he was playing

Someone on the Melbourne board suggested un-retiring Ben Brown so he could do his twilight /career M. Daw award thing against us

Someone on the Melbourne board suggested un-retiring Ben Brown so he could do his twilight /career M. Daw award thing against us
I'd love for them to do that now that we have Lobb down there. Brown would get 1 kick 2 handballs.

They are Petracca-less. Oliver is in his worst form for 5 years. If we don't cruise to a win here it will be disappointing.

I'd love for them to do that now that we have Lobb down there. Brown would get 1 kick 2 handballs.

They are Petracca-less. Oliver is in his worst form for 5 years. If we don't cruise to a win here it will be disappointing.
He seemed pretty good at his last start against GWS. 26 Disposals, 5 Tackles, 8 Inside 50's and 6 Clearances. Perhaps we shouldn't under-estimate his ability to do some damage.

Begrudgingly and Regrettably Coffield makes his exit as well(He's been serviceable)
agree here, and JOD soon will make it a tough call.....but the coach specifically mentioned Coffield's 'best game for the club' post-game so doubt he's dropped, unless we see 'managed'.
At this point reckon Bevo thru some trial and error, underestimating/overestimating players and positions, knows very well where each player slots in.

I do expect a little consideration to be given by MC to the need for some "fresh legs" against the Redlegs.
But I wonder if we are overplaying the importance of it.

Players in various team sports at the Olympics (Hockey, Football, Basketball) as well as some individual sports (eg tennis, although only best of 3 sets, not best of 5) have to back up for a game every second day. I know some of those games allow liberal use of the interchange and squad rotation and some of them have shorter playing times but it's still a gruelling schedule. Especially as they are playing the very best in the world for very high stakes. It's not just a domestic comp.

Also I read a report earlier in the year (posted on BF I think) that analysed the impact of the short break between AFL games. IIRC it said there was a more pronounced impact from having three games in say 11 or 12 than there was from just one 5 day break between 2 games. We will be playing our third game in 13 days which should be very manageable. The interstate travel and the Kardinia Park bog notwithstanding.

Also I note that in the Rory Lobb interview on the WB website he says he "loves" a 5 day break and is really looking forward to getting back to Marvel under the roof.

No excuses. We just have to bring our best to this Friday's game. Again.

Hopefully our new fitness guru has it well in hand.

I’m more worried about some of our players believing the hype and losing focus.
Agreed.
The most likely cause of any losses between now and September.

I read a slobbo piece that suggested our last three weeks was the best home and away stretch of the last thirty years from any team.
Wow. We don't need that.

Is he trying to do a number on us? We aren't even playing Essendon this week.

I do expect a little consideration to be given by MC to the need for some "fresh legs" against the Redlegs.
But I wonder if we are overplaying the importance of it.

Players in various team sports at the Olympics (Hockey, Football, Basketball) as well as some individual sports (eg tennis, although only best of 3 sets, not best of 5) have to back up for a game every second day. I know some of those games allow liberal use of the interchange and squad rotation and some of them have shorter playing times but it's still a gruelling schedule. Especially as they are playing the very best in the world for very high stakes. It's not just a domestic comp.

Also I read a report earlier in the year (posted on BF I think) that analysed the impact of the short break between AFL games. IIRC it said there was a more pronounced impact from having three games in say 11 or 12 than there was from just one 5 day break between 2 games. We will be playing our third game in 13 days which should be very manageable. The interstate travel and the Kardinia Park bog notwithstanding.

Also I note that in the Rory Lobb interview on the WB website he says he "loves" a 5 day break and is really looking forward to getting back to Marvel under the roof.

No excuses. We just have to bring our best to this Friday's game. Again.
One of the more interesting selections this week. Quite a few moving parts and considerations. And they are just that I suppose, considerations. The senior players will no doubt be asked for an honest appraisal of how they've pulled up and if they are confident they can go hard again off a short turn around. Any doubt I feel we should err on the side of fresh legs ... a personal opinion of course.

We look extremely close to knowing what our best combination is and it's not really any different to that which has turned out the last 3 weeks.

Freijah should have a place (I hope so), 1 of Buku/Coffield or JOD, and 1 of Sanders, Garcia or Macrae and the sub probably comes from those 3 as well. That's it from what I can see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. We don't need that.

Is he trying to do a number on us? We aren't even playing Essendon this week.
Playing for a spot in the eight against us tho. I’m not sure he is smart enough to plot anything but it made my spider senses tingle.

Not sure what game people were watching regarding Caleb Daniel. He had six touches at 100% in 15 minutes.
I didn’t think Daniel was bad per say and I did like the balance a little better (not convinced Buku & Coffield can share the backline when Lobb/Jones play) but CDs days in defence are done for me. He’s too easy to isolate from an opposition point of view, he’s too indecisive (was a strength) and struggles with the pace of the game at times. I hope he can reinvent himself but I think our game style has gone past him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 21 changes: Footscray v Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back