Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to the team. Outside of the bottom 6 everyone stood up and played their roles well. Depth a massive issue but the season is still alive, barely.
I don't think depth is a massive issue. Look at the mighty Swans. A few late season injuries after a dream run for most of the year and they are looking more like wooden spooners. I can't think of any team which endures a run like we have this year which wouldn't be seriously compromised.

1722702808502.png

I must watch a different game. Anyone that believes Josh Daicos has had an average season are just clueless. Averages 24.1 disposals a game at 68%. Only Nick with an average of 30.2 a game is higher. Nick on season going at 67.5% DE. Josh averages 418 metres gained which is elite. He gets marked way too harshly. He’s a consistent performer week in , week out and also gets himself up to play every week. His AFL fantasy this year is an average of 92 or so. Last year all Australian he was at 90. I just don’t get it, would be with Nick & Cameron in the top few in the Copeland.

Still buzzing hours after the match. I'm ecstatic that we've honoured Pendles' 400th with a classic win against the arch-rival. A great night for the football club and something we can look back on fondly for years to come.

I just marvel at Pendles. Universally admired by everyone, ultra consistent and the consummate professional. We've been blessed to have him representing us for the past 18 years. Hopefully there's still more to come before he closes the curtain on his playing career.

Thought we played well until De Goey went off with injury and Carlton started having clearance dominance. I know we conceded the last five goals, but our defence did reasonably well to absorb it because they were under constant siege. Our clearance issues were exposed once De Goey left the field, so that's an issue concerning our midfield more than anything else.

Our pressure was good over the first three quarters and a half, with us winning the tackle count 62-51. It reminded me of what we used to do every week in 2022-2023, so that was very encouraging. Maybe it's too late, but at least we're still fighting to stay in the hunt for a finals spot despite the struggles we've endured this year. Better to go down fighting than to go down without a whimper.

Cameron, Pendles, Hoskin-Elliott, Nick and Howe were the standout players for mine. All pivotal in our victory.

I'll never getting tired of inflicting pain onto Carlton, no matter the circumstances and how ugly it might be. We've toyed with them under Fly with close wins in 2022 (4 points and 1 point) and 2024 (6 points and 3 points). Particularly for our older fans who suffered through the 70s and 80s, I hope this recent success over them is a source of great comfort.

All of a sudden, next week becomes interesting with Sydney in a major slump. I was shocked when I saw they'd lost by 112 points, which is the biggest loss they had since 1993 and the 5th biggest loss in their club's history.

Shout out to Billy Frampton. Thought he played a very good game tonight.

Pendles after the siren :D

Pendles.jpg

Fly's presser :D

Pendles was also present in the press conference, but only including Fly's comments here.

Do you feel like Collingwood got their mojo back tonight ?
"I think we're building. This is the time you want to get hot isn't it? I think we're not quite hot, but we're simmering. There's definitely some momentum coming. We've got personnel back in, that strengthens us up. Just like Pendles said, there's some certain things we have in our game we rely on and we can see. We win contested possession against this team [which] is really important. Like Pendles said, for most of the game it looked like a Collingwood style game. Some good signs".
Did the timing of the milestone help to get your DNA back?
"We've been building this for weeks. This is something where you go back three or four weeks, we didn't perform well against Hawthorn and then started to shift some stuff that was really important to us. Some personnel again that come in that allow us to play a bit different. This is not a one week thing, this is something we've been training and rewarding. Again, we feel like there's a little bit of growth in our game from where it's been. There's little things that we take great pride in. 110,000 members! Unbelievable. Thank you to all our members that turned up tonight and ones that stand true to us and support us through everything, so can't thank you enough".
Any surprises that Pendles had such a great performance in his 400th game?
"No, none. Nothing surprises me with this man. He's an incredible player. Some of the stuff he did late. Some of the stuff he did when we needed it. Just watch his hands in traffic when we need him. He probably gets sick of me saying this, but I don't want to wait until I'm older and greyer to appreciate him. He's an incredible player. We'll share a beer at some stage and maybe a red wine maybe. An incredible player".
How did you see the game late in the piece?
"I just want to complement Carlton on the never to say die ability to stay in the game. They've had some incredible close wins in recent times. Cripps gets hot late. Weitering kept marking everything, which made it really difficult for us. We dominated territory for most part of the night, and we got stuck a bit late. We're not finished, and as good as they were in the last quarter, you have to look at that conversely and say 'come on, we've got to do these things better. How's McGovern get there and mark a ball by himself. Are we in tune with each other?' It's probably a timely reminder to tighten the screws on a few things like that".
What's the early prognosis with Jordan De Goey?
"Hamstring. High grade. Would have thought that it would be difficult for him to play in the short and medium term".
High grade hamstring injury would rule De Goey out for September?
"Hard to tell. We'll get a scan and work through that. I'll leave that to others to work through that. I've just been told it's high grade and obviously it's not great for him".
How important is the injection of Beau McCreery into side with the pressure he provides, which is infectious?
"He's an integral part of our pressure. He chases to hurt and catches people. The crowd roars. Again, for a major part of the night we looked like we had guys doing their jobs and doing them really well. In particular, Beau who's a really important player for us. Then you've got Bobby [Hill] and Shooter [Schultz] and all these other guys. Some of these pieces that have been missing are coming back at the right time. Time will tell whether it's too late, but we're still breathing".

Curnow is seriously dangerous

Is the perception accurate that he chokes in finals
I love how (a) Coxy being a seriously limited player who lifts BIG TIME in finals, versus (b) Curnow having all the God-given talent in the world, but disappearing on the big stage, is (c) the perfect microcosm of Collingwood vs Carlton in the 21st century.

We might not always field the most talented team, we don't tank for three consecutive #1 draft picks, we're not chock-full of first round selections. But when the chips are down, you know we're giving it everything we've got. As for the Blues...

Lol you're not making top 8, idiot.
Probably not.

Yet we're still beating you lot for fun.

And we're still reigning premiers for another two months.

And I'm backing our culture to get us back up before too long, as it's done with impressive regularity since the turn of the century.

So all in all, life is pretty sweet.

But the level of rage it must take to come onto an opposition board after a loss and post this, it's... it's just beautiful. A+. This is why I love our open policy for opposition posters on this board. (That's another thing we do better than the Blues, by the way.)

Probably not.

Yet we're still beating you lot for fun.

And we're still reigning premiers for another two months.

And I'm backing our culture to get us back up before too long, as it's done with impressive regularity since the turn of the century.

So all in all, life is pretty sweet.

But the level of rage it must take to come onto an opposition board after a loss and post this, it's... it's just beautiful. A+. This is why I love our open policy for opposition posters on this board. (That's another thing we do better than the Blues, by the way.)
The guy is completely cooked off this plane of existence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing to beat the the grubs! I thoroughly enjoyed the way it all panned out.

They would have already conceded the loss after Jamie kicks the first of the last. But to then give them the hope and belief that they could win and take that away was glorious.

Also icing on the delicious cake is keeping Curnow goalless for first time in 66 games.

These are my favourite posts after a win against Carlton. Where the poster identifies the most painful parts of the game for the Blues. Sometimes even in chronological order!

Thanks👍

**** YES! ⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫

WON IT FOR PENDLES.

KEEP OUR TOP 8 HOPES ALIVE.

DO THE DOUBLE OVER CARLTON IN 2024.

JEOPARDISE CARLTON’S SEASON.

133-4-129.

Was great to be there last night and watch that unfold.
It was a great game, and it felt like l had gone back to 2023, as l saw some semblance of our game style from last year on top of the dramatic finish...
We are literally Carlscum's grim reaper. From Elliott’s goal to knock them out of finals to last night putting them just about out of the 8.
They will be 8th after the round tonight, with the Hawks next week...oh dear!!
We love it, we love Pendles and we love our club!!!!.....GO PIES!!! ⚫⚪⚫⚪

We are literally Carlscum's grim reaper. From Elliott’s goal to knock them out of finals to last night putting them just about out of the 8. ! ⚫⚪⚫⚪

Imagine being a Carlton WAG?

You go to bed with your man - athlete, well-paid, and Collingwood bitch

Also why did Darcy Cameron get absolutely NOWHERE near that final ruck contest?!

(thought he was one of the best on ground to 3qt and then got beaten by Pit I'm the final q)
Because maybe he worked his guts out all day and was in top 3 players on the ground maybe ( IMHO) he was one of the reason we actually won the game

Not comparing them as players

I’m strictly referring to the frees they do or don’t get

Cox suffers from the same “he’s big enough to take care of himself” syndrome with the umps Cloke used to cop

A few times the Carlton defenders would hold and pull the arm of McStay to restrict him from being able to lead. By the time McStay freed himself he was unable to make the contest.

I'm not saying that our defenders don't do that but I did not notice that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back