Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other negative actually is whatever has happened to Ryan's 1v1 defending. He won an AA playing as a fullback...
It’s not at that point yet, but in a world where Draper continues his development and the others are fit, the backline squeeze could be on

It's clearly the biggest thing holding us back. That's four very winnable games we've thrown away because of that.
and **** did we try our hearts out to be a 5th

Have looked at the last centre clearance so many times. People have been paying out on Darcy big time but Young doesn't seem to be getting a lot of criticism. He was purely ball watching and let Merrett run past him like he was the 100m gold medallist.
It's almost like those guys just expect the ball to land in their laps and so give up trying to block for each other or defend their man. Why didn't we try to mix up our CBA mix? Why did Jackson never get a go in there as a midfielder. It's not like we desperately needed him up forward when we were still up.

Lotsa angst here. Which is fair enough. But… it’s only a game. It’s bread and circuses, something you do for fun as a kid, which a few folks get to do as adults. It means nothing.

It’s not worth getting upset about. It’s not worth kicking the dog about. Heck, it’s not even worth swearing in front of the parrot about (you know that bird will learn the dirty words and then the kids will ask you what f*** means… it’s bad!)

Only a game

Not great, but the silver lining is that our destiny is still in our hands.

The last three teams we play are the three directly above us on the ladder.

Teams that went through slumps earlier or midway through the year have now fixed whatever issues they were having and are comfortably in form. We've been consistent all year without any real slump of form for more than a week. Wonder if that's gonna lead to a lot of complacency as the season closes out.

Thought they were better than us the whole day in virtually all aspects, save for the 3rd. Tougher, better spread. Our efficiency kept us going.

Midfield bullied. Can point to Emmett or Freddie or whatever but it’s secondary, Darcy was destroyed and serong and brayshaw lowered their colours. Rare occasion.

Suspect Darcy was under a cloud hence why Reidy flew and they made the wrong call.

Erasmus being subbed off was also a bad call when we were weak in the middle as it was. Thought he had a few good moments, including two smart kicks.

Fyfe and Johnson back will make all the difference.

Far from over. 1 point away loss to a desperate side. Butter up and go again. We play 3 teams above us so entirely in our hands. Don’t think treacy serong brayshaw are going to die wondering

Darcy has got me thinking of the Freo player who’ve got me to ‘hate them’ levels

Stuart Anderson
Chris Bond
Zak Clarke
Chris Groom
Jack Hannath
Shane Kersten
Brandon Matera
Daniel Parker
Tom Sheridan
Rory Lobb
Sean Darcy

That’s about it

This is some bull shit

Far from over. 1 point away loss to a desperate side. Butter up and go again. We play 3 teams above us so entirely in our hands. Don’t think treacy serong brayshaw are going to die wondering
That's the only positive. Though I'm worried about which team is going to show up - both us and the oppo. I've done some ladder predictions and looks like if we win all 3 we finish 3rd, win 2 we finish 7th, and win 1 miss finals completely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Treacy got that knock it seemed like he had to play closer to goal when he came back on. Maybe that was part of the reason why Jackson didn't get more time in the ruck in the last half of the last quarter. It seemed like it affected the connection into the forward line coming out of defence too.

Lotsa angst here. Which is fair enough. But… it’s only a game. It’s bread and circuses, something you do for fun as a kid, which a few folks get to do as adults. It means nothing.

It’s not worth getting upset about. It’s not worth kicking the dog about. Heck, it’s not even worth swearing in front of the parrot about (you know that bird will learn the dirty words and then the kids will ask you what f*** means… it’s bad!)

Only a game
Another captain obvious

Another sheriff account?

Another w***er trying to show everyone the way. Jog on weirdo

Clip at 18:00 minute mark of this post-game review on 3AW has Caleb talking about the midfield contest vs Essendon.

He’s very lucid. Knows exactly what’s going on does Caleb, I agree with everything he said including only playing the one good quarter.

We played poorly in the first half but were efficient counter punching, and played well in the 3rd but didn’t capitalise. Then the 4th speaks for itself, the mids weren’t good enough.

Kick ins - We need a plan B.

We currently have 2 variations on the same plan A
1) Ryan looks around, makes it seem like he's assessing his options, then bangs it to the back edge corner of the center square where we almost never mark it or win it at ground level.
2) Ryan chips it 17m to a player (keeping in mind you could literally just run to that exact same spot) where said player assesses their options, then bangs it 7m further than our first variation and possibly closer to the boundary where we almost never take a mark or win it at ground level, but sometimes get it out of bounds 80m out from goal.

We do sometimes have a pulled kick version to Cox about 55m out right on the boundary but didn't attempt that today as they were manning up.

Kick ins should be better. It's ball in your hands and something you can work on.

We have NOTHING.
We go to the centre of the wing. Don’t get why, when Darcy, Jackson or Treacy don’t get any outlet marks.
Would love to get it close to the boundary, force a throw in and reset

I mean, respectfully, I disagree. 2022 was quite exciting. This year I just more or less feel let down and had a lot of historical prejudices reaffirmed. Feel kinda empty. There's something there but those old Freo feelings of failure and inadequacy are ringing louder than ever.

Every f***ing time I go to a Freo game at the G. That truly hurt.

Couldn't agree less.

I'm offended like everyone else but this has been a good season this far, it won't be if we miss out on finals again in a freak-year of footy - but we are the best we've looked since maybe mid-2014.

Long term, sure. But three games left we have no more room for error.

Look, it’s not ideal Ross hat on but we’ve got to control the controllables

I’ve only watched the first half but I’d say the functioning forward line is a very good thing NOW. Those boys kicked goals. In the first half, Jackson, Treacy Sturt and even Freddy were very good.
Kept us in the game, and have the capacity to win big games for us.

It’s good to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back