Review Round 21 = Hawthorn 105-73 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

August is the business part of the season where teams are setting up for their tilt at the finals. We are more or less injury free and yet we get f*$cked in the ar$e by the third worst term in the competition!

I'm concerned that some playters have hit a wall. Might not be 'the' wall (as in gone forever) but a wall for this season.

I posted after round 1 that we play a highly taxing game. Its very difficult to sustain that intensity over the course of a season.

I've been very positive about our chances, but realistically we are in trouble.
Even more reason to again question Fly's refusal to manage players against the shit teams

Guess we know the answer to would McRae tag N Daicos. Lost it further afield, but still bewildered that no one went within 10-15m of Silcy all night. Should have tried Howe as a defensive forward.

Today reminded me a bit of a Collingwood vs Hawthorn game from 2008 when Ben McGlynn tagged Alan Didak. After being niggled all day, Dids started to get really annoyed and retaliate, only to give away free kicks. That just invited half the Hawthorn side to get stuck into him, at which point I turned to my Dad and said "Why the f**k isn't anyone helping him out?" and my Dad responded "Who's our toughest player? Nick Maxwell? We've got nobody mate!"

Again, Nick gets bullied by the opposition and his brother is the only player who'll help him out. It was Nick and Josh vs like 8 Hawks players in a scuffle until Bruzzy and a couple of others came in way too late for a bit of pushing and shoving before bailing again while Sicily was still ragdolling Nick on the ground.

Absolutely pathetic. I felt so bad for the young lad. Geelong never let Gaz get bullied like that.

Send Nick to half back again and bring Frampton in. Tell him if anyone even breathes in Nick's direction to go and sit them on their ass. Protect the young lad and free him up to do what he does best.

This! Not enough Punt Rd at peak hour in this team I'm afraid. When finals rolls around it is going to get deadly serious and if we can't defend each other we'll get chewed up and spat out nice and quick. Again, all this gets back to the "ruthlessness" that we want to see in the side. It still isn't there.

Naicos is to slight at the moment to play midfield, must go to half back again and put crisp in.
Frampton must play Moore cannot play FB he plays grass not an opponent and been found out.
I'll give the forwards a pass today as the midfield disgraced themselves.

At stages in 2nd half Mihocek manned Sicily and was no where near him couldn't keep up with him.

Hate to say it with his bash and crash style the end can come fast (see t.cloke) and his last few months haven't been great.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel we came up against men posessed at their grand final today. Not an excuse but their attack on the ball was like they were playing for their life.
It's how you are meant to play, it looked like they were the top team and us 16th.

A few of our old guard looked just that OLD and slow.
Outside a late goal in junk time Pendles had a shocker although it shouldn't be on him to be the man he didn't look up to it many times despite him obviously trying his heart out.

I'm having some shades of 2018 vibes about this year, best side most the year and looking like the game plan is slowly being dissembled.

What a disappointing day. Absolutely smashed at centre clearances.
Don't look to me for answers. I have none:(

Hopefully Fly can turn this around.

I have not read any of this thread so forgive me if I rehash old ground.
AJ is not the answer. He melts under pressure. No more.
Cox must be second ruck even if he doesn't touch the pill tomorrow. Having no viable option when Cameron was having no impact was like playing with one arm tied behind your back.

Tom Mitchell has to go if not injured he should be dropped. Once again Fly had him wandering around the half forward line. A slow player who cannot apply defensive pressure on the Hawk backs and bloody Adams was on the other flank guarding Sicily! It was farcical.
Lipinski needs to be dropped too. He is playing mostly as a forward and again he lacks the pace to apply pressure when we have Mitchell and Adams running around the forward line too.

Moore had a nightmare. I have never seen so many dumb decisions which cost us goals. That happens. But it was unsettling to see our leader so flustered and frazzled.
The centre clearance situation is a horror show. 18 to 3.
We need to inject pace into the centre square. Beau was good for the brief time he was in there. Crispy should get back in there and even Maynard could have the occasional run. It's almost impossible to believe a starting four like we had today could be almost invisible at the centre bounces.

Ginnivan must be given a chance next week. He has goal sense and the capacity to win big moments. He can replace Lipinsky. WHE can also come back in for Lippa or Tom Mitchell. He has pace and the ability to mark above his head. He is also more versatile. Frampton can go back if Murphy is out and I would like to experiment with Howe if and when Murph returns.

Nick Daicos looks tired and intimidated. Maybe he can start near the goalsquare as he was hampered by his corkie most of the time he was forward. Time for some dinner!

Hawthorn did it again just as I warned. No surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not read any of this thread so forgive me if I rehash old ground.
AJ is not the answer. He melts under pressure. No more.
Cox must be second ruck even if he doesn't touch the pill tomorrow. Having no viable option when Cameron was having no impact was like playing with one arm tied behind your back.

Tom Mitchell has to go if not injured he should be dropped. Once again Fly had him wandering around the half forward line. A slow player who cannot apply defensive pressure on the Hawk backs and bloody Adams was on the other flank guarding Sicily! It was farcical.
Lipinski needs to be dropped too. He is playing mostly as a forward and again he lacks the pace to apply pressure when we have Mitchell and Adams running around the forward line too.

Moore had a nightmare. I have never seen so many dumb decisions which cost us goals. That happens. But it was unsettling to see our leader so flustered and frazzled.
The centre clearance situation is a horror show. 18 to 3.
We need to inject pace into the centre square. Beau was good for the brief time he was in there. Crispy should get back in there and even Maynard could have the occasional run. It's almost impossible to believe a starting four like we had today could be almost invisible at the centre bounces.

Ginnivan must be given a chance next week. He has goal sense and the capacity to win big moments. He can replace Lipinsky. WHE can also come back in for Lippa or Tom Mitchell. He has pace and the ability to mark above his head. He is also more versatile. Frampton can go back if Murphy is out and I would like to experiment with Howe if and when Murph returns.

Nick Daicos looks tired and intimidated. Maybe he can start near the goalsquare as he was hampered by his corkie most of the time he was forward. Time for some dinner!

Hawthorn did it again just as I warned. No surprise.
So... drop everyone and bring Cox in?

Naicos is to slight at the moment to play midfield, must go to half back again and put crisp in.
Frampton must play Moore cannot play FB he plays grass not an opponent and been found out.
I'll give the forwards a pass today as the midfield disgraced themselves.

He needs to get on the move at stoppage and not start flat footed trying shove to separate and move.

Being on the move will make the tagger panic and hold him and if he gets off the chain can recieve and go straight away.

Our midfield is definitely a work in progress and vs big physical teams a major weakness of ours.

After selection this week I know some were comparing the moment to 2010 when we saw mainstays like Lockyer and O'Bree make way but in reality the narrative is entirely different this time.

That 2010 team went on to be the youngest Premiership team in 32 years. If this Collingwood team manages to overcome our present form and go all the way it'll rival Geelong of last season as one of the oldest.

While a player like Blair didn't go on to have a better career than those he displaced in 2010, he was the better option for the moment and with Mitchell and Adams now stumbling have we missed a trick by not giving young midfielders like a Macrae an opportunity this season?

So... drop everyone and bring Cox in?

Some of it is bring back in players who were once a best 22 and part of our wins but not considered our default 22 when we recently had a full list.

Imo the gameplan we employ is being defended a lot better and then exploited going the other way.

Moores strength has always been as a intercept defender, his rebounding was also a feature of recent weeks it's been horror show from him.

After selection this week I know some were comparing the moment to 2010 when we saw mainstays like Lockyer and O'Bree make way but in reality the narrative is entirely different this time.

That 2010 team went on to be the youngest Premiership team in 32 years. If this Collingwood team manages to overcome our present form and go all the way it'll rival Geelong of last season as one of the oldest.

While a player like Blair didn't go on to have a better career than those he displaced in 2010, he was the better option for the moment and with Mitchell and Adams now stumbling have we missed a trick by not giving young midfielders like a Macrae an opportunity this season?

Our midfield is in need of a rebuild.

Not sure how well N.Daicos and J.Degoey pair up in there either, think it's one or the other for better balance.

August is the business part of the season where teams are setting up for their tilt at the finals. We are more or less injury free and yet we get f*$cked in the ar$e by the third worst term in the competition!
Depends on who you ask.
We seem to think July was the time period to set up the season.

The teams in August doing so are because they are fighting for their lives to secure their spots for the finals.

Time will tell which method will bear fruit.

Car-wheels-off.jpg

A real pattern that has emerged in the last month or so is Cameron’s inability to jump in centre bounces.

He doesn’t want to jump..to protect the knee he injured earlier in season.

This is compounding our centre square clearance issues.

If you won’t jump…let alone can’t jump…then step aside and let Cox back in to do it.

A ruckman that won’t jump in a centre bounce is a disaster
Cameron never jumped last year.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone else feel we came up against men posessed at their grand final today. Not an excuse but their attack on the ball was like they were playing for their life.
True, we're playing bruise free footy, being 2 games clear on top with finals around the corner is difficult to manage.
Everyone we're playing from literally last week just want to knock our heads off, and we seem to be in preservation mode.
No excuses, we were poor today and Hawks were far more desperate.
Tough last few games to navigate for Fly and the coaches, time will tell how ready we will be come week 1 of finals.

Cameron never jumped last year.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes he did.
At centre bounces….not stoppages around the ground

But centre bounces every ruck jumps.

Everyone except ours at the moment due to his fragile mental state with that knee injury.

Dare I say it…I’m getting Blighty / Pittman vibes if he continues to not jump and try and come from the side bodying up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 = Hawthorn 105-73 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back