Preview Round 21 - St. Kilda v Brisbane Lions (Sunday, 4 August 2024 at Marvel Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't believe you guys thought getting rid of McEvoy in favour of bringing in Longer was a good idea. It doesn't make me feel any better about drafting Longer in the first place though.

Pick 8 lol. I can't say I was happy taking a ruck with our first pick either, another layer in the Crazy Vossy story (even though I'm sure it wasn't his call). It's not common. Matthew Kreuzer, Billy Longer, Luke Jackson.

I still can't believe you guys thought getting rid of McEvoy in favour of bringing in Longer was a good idea. It doesn't make me feel any better about drafting Longer in the first place though.
Am I right in thinking I heard that it was a choice between Longer and Toby Greene and we went Longer 😳

SAINTS

B: J.Battle, D.Howard, C.Wilkie
HB: N.Wanganeen-Milera, J.Sinclair, J.Webster

C: M.Wood, L.Stocker, R.Byrnes

HF: B.Hill, J.Higgins, M.Owens
F: A.Caminiti, T.Membrey, C.Sharman

FOLL: R.Marshall, J.Steele - C, M.Phillipou

I/C (FROM): Z.Jones, P.Dow, D.Butler, D.Wilson, H.Garcia, T.Campbell, A.McLennan

IN: M.Phillipou, P.Dow, T.Campbell, A.McLennan

OUT: H.Clark (Injured)

I feel like Tom Campbell has played about 6 career games over many years and all of them have been against us.

Am I right in thinking I heard that it was a choice between Longer and Toby Greene and we went Longer 😳

I think the narrative was we were after Nick Haynes and Toby Greene. GWS took Haynes one pick before us. At that point GWS expected us to ignore Longer as we already had Leuenberger and go elsewhere. To their surprise we took Longer anyway, which meant they decided to take Toby Greene off us too, and we went Docherty.

I think GWS wanted us to take Tomlinson and were surprised we stuck with Longer (no evidence for this, just supposition given they addressed every other need except the highest regarded ruck in that draft), but Toby expected us to take him at pick 12, not at pick 8, and he was heavily linked to us there. GWS jumped in ahead of us though.

I feel like we're due to drop a game and this may be the one... hope I'm wrong.
Nah our bad patches are becoming smaller and ability to counter momentum is better in the second half. Lesser lights like Lohmann, Morris are standing up too and Rayner stepping it up is a big bonus overall. I think we'll go well this round. I'm more nervous about Giants than this one.

I look forward to Ross vs Dew coaching box battle though.. hope Dew is a permanent match day fixture as he'll be a big boost to Fagan in terms of spotting opposition moves.

I feel like Tom Campbell has played about 6 career games over many years and all of them have been against us.
7 games against us, max 5 against anyone else (North). Hasn't played that much against us in recent years though

I actually think I messed up and they're called 'player cards', but hopefully we both find some help today! Haha

But I think they were a big part of different times I've dropped off big footy for big stints at a time haha.
just found this thread in the help board

relevant post here
Go here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/account/preferences

Scroll to the bottom "Sports Data" option.

Funnily enough, I thought the same too and a couple of things struck me; the first is that I didn’t realise the Saints was his third club, the second that he’d played as many games as he had - 58 - and thirdly, the opposition club he’s played against most, are the Lions at 7 games (5 against former team the Dogs and then 2-4 against 15 other clubs.

Saw AFL 360 are still trying to push "Rayner Man". Had it as a topic banner :p

(Btw, anyone know if it's possible to turn off the player banners? Makes it impossible to read posts on the apps...)

I've been wanting to know this for ages, but lacking the words to understand what I needed to ask (or who to ask it)

I actually think I messed up and they're called 'player cards', but hopefully we both find some help today! Haha

But I think they were a big part of different times I've dropped off big footy for big stints at a time haha.

There's an option for that - down the bottom of the preferences page

"Disable display of sports data bbcode"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at the Big O and who he is playing on to judge his value. He has been in good form against certain ruckman but can he rise to beat the best?

The next 8 weeks will be the making of the Big O.

A dominate final series and a certain Crackers K will have a partner.
I said it a few weeks ago (and his form has continued since then) but Oscar isnt far off our best ever BL ruckman. Probably needs at least one flag to take top spot but his form and longevity isnt far off it

I said it a few weeks ago (and his form has continued since then) but Oscar isnt far off our best ever BL ruckman. Probably needs at least one flag to take top spot but his form and longevity isnt far off it
O (7 years and 144 games) is already there longevity wise in terms of games. Charman and Keating (both 11 years and 129 and 139 games respectively) have been on our list longer. O should be a 200 gamer by the time he gets to 11 years. Fair acheivement by the big fella.

O (7 years and 144 games) is already there longevity wise in terms of games. Charman and Keating (both 11 years and 129 and 139 games respectively) have been on our list longer. O should be a 200 gamer by the time he gets to 11 years. Fair acheivement by the big fella.
He's actually getting better and stronger. I didn't hold out any great hope a year or two ago but credit to his determination and perseverance he's gone from being someone we had there because he was the biggest and could just get in the way to someone some opposition teams have to plan for. If he can start taking a few more marks then he goes to the next level.

He's actually getting better and stronger. I didn't hold out any great hope a year or two ago but credit to his determination and perseverance he's gone from being someone we had there because he was the biggest and could just get in the way to someone some opposition teams have to plan for. If he can start taking a few more marks then he goes to the next level.
I agree and whilst he never gets spoken about in AA or the best rucks in the game - reserved for the likes of Gawn, Grundy, Jackson now Xerri or even Marshall and English; I don't mind that either as he's obviously not costing us a premium like some are costing their clubs, but he's consistent and pretty durable to and rarely gets completely beaten by his opponent. Im not sure you'd call him nullifier and no thats not the right term but even against the elite rucks hes rarely disgraced.

Each of the next 4 weeks games are super important for our and other teams' final position.

Last week i did the ladder predictor going with the favourites for each game.
From memory it was 3rd if we won and 5th if we lost. We ended up in 2nd spot.

This week i will go with the so-called expert tipsters from the AFL website.
A little strange that no one picked the Hawks to win
There are 5 selections that have gone 11-0, with three 10-1
So, according to the tipsters only one game could go either way being Port v Swans.
This is not the week to drop a game you are expected to win.

If we win, we retain 2nd spot
If we lose, we could drop to 7th

TOTALS -AFL Tipsters

Western Bulldogs 11-0 Melbourne
West Coast 1-10 Gold Coast
North Melbourne
10-1 Richmond
Geelong 11-0 Adelaide
Collingwood 1-10 Carlton
Port Adelaide
6-5 Sydney
Greater Western Sydney 11-0 Hawthorn