Autopsy Round 21 v Hawthorn @ The Apple Isle - August 6th 01:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Could well be a contender for worst game of the year if Lewis doesn’t get up for the Hawks.
Not just Lewis. Koschitzke is in doubt as well. Reeves is potentially out for the season plus no CJ for this game. We will be lucky to field a decent side TBH the way it's looking. Could have a very Raw forward line the rest of the year which is not necessarily a bad thing in a rebuilding year. We may swing either Sicily or Scrimshaw forward to be a bit creative.

Not just Lewis. Koschitzke is in doubt as well. Reeves is potentially out for the season plus no CJ for this game. We will be lucky to field a decent side TBH the way it's looking. Could have a very Raw forward line the rest of the year which is not necessarily a bad thing in a rebuilding year. We may swing either Sicily or Scrimshaw forward to be a bit creative.
Your raw forward line should match our depleted back line, missing Budarick, Weller, Powell, Ballard,Thompson........;)

Your raw forward line should match our depleted back line, missing Budarick, Weller, Powell, Ballard,Thompson........;)
Our 1st and 2nd choice options won't be playing. Its Gunston and Jeka. No 1st choice ruck for the rest of the year. We have 10 guys out with season ending injuries when we're already a mediocre side.

Our 1st and 2nd choice options won't be playing. Its Gunston and Jeka. No 1st choice ruck for the rest of the year. We have 10 guys out with season ending injuries when we're already a mediocre side.
So what I'm hearing is that you've got an injury toll like we did last year

But crippled forward line vs crippled back 6 should be an interesting stalemate none the less

Hopefully Ellis shoulder wasn't too bad and he is back in this week, we missed him against WC.

Move Markov back to the sub. Probably all I would do.

However, I also know Dew will have his finger over the Alex Davies button, ready to push at a moment's notice.

Hopefully Ellis shoulder wasn't too bad and he is back in this week, we missed him against WC.

However, I also know Dew will have his finger over the Alex Davies button, ready to push at a moment's notice.
Dew said he expected Ellis to play in the Hawthorn game.

I've got no doubt Stuey will have seen Davies' 23 disposal, 11 tackle, 7 clearance VFL stat line and convinced himself that he needs some of that in the AFL team.

Dew said Ellis should be straight back in.
Forgot about him in my ins - outs

In: Ellis, Bowes, Davies

Out: Oea, Macpherson, Atkins

Apparently the Hawks will be without Lewis, Wingard, Impey, Brockman, Frost, Morris, Bramble, Reeves, Mitchell, Downie and Jiath for this game. Looks similar to the length and severity of our injury list of King, Budarick, Ballard, Jeffrey, Powell, Weller, Uwland and potentially Ellis.

Both teams are bruised and battered but hopefully we're the ones who come out on top and our slim finals hopes remain alive for at least another week. It's definitely worth mentioning that if we do win this game then that will make it 5 wins from 10 games since the halfway point of the season (R12 def. North, R14 def. Adelaide, R17 def. Richmond, R20 def. West Coast) and 2 of our 5 losses over that stretch were by less than a goal (R15 loss to Port by 2 points, R16 loss to Collingwood by 5 points) as well as a really solid showing against Brisbane in the Gabba QClash. The narrative of constant second half of the season fadeouts feels like a thing of the past but I think a win against Hawthorn this weekend will 100% kill it. So let's get the job done in Tassie boys!

B. Hardwick - Blanck - Sicily
F: Rankine - Casboult - Chol

HB. Day - Jeka - Impey
HF:Holman - Lukosius - Ainsworth

C. Morrison Newcombe Ward
C: Ellis - Miller - Sharp

HF. Butler - Kosi - Macdonald
HB: Markov - Andrew - Farrar

F. Breust Gunston McEvoy
FB: Lemmens - Collins - Graham

Foll: Lynch - Moore - Nash
Foll: Witts - Rowell - Anderson

IC: Mitchell Scrimshaw O'Meara Maginness
IC: Swallow - Bowes - Rosas - Hollands

They played Sicily on Casboult earlier in the year.
Be interesting to see if he lines up on Chol instead.

It's a pretty average looking team Hawthorn.
Very inexperienced.

They've got a ruck, some mids in good form, Gunston, Sicily, Breust and more. Lots of guys that will give us trouble.
Yeah for sure.
Their top 10 is pretty good.
Decent defenders to match up on our most dangerous forwards.

We should be trying to take advantage of their bottom 10 though.
I think we’ve got the edge there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless our defence gets their sh*t together, this game is going to be hard to win no matter who is in/out for either team.

Last week West Coast (17th place) had 26 scoring shots from 40 inside 50’s or a 65% conversion rate. Brisbane, the best scoring team in the comp, go at 50.4% for reference. I know, injuries, but the 6 we rolled out should still be MUCH better than that.

At least we have a Touk.

I'd say this is where we have the edge in this injury riddled clash. Touk and Noah are the ones that are going to pull us over the line if we are to get the four points on Saturday arvo.

How ****ing good is Noah Anderson going to be at his peak. Already dominant.

As my partner is a Hawks member - I attended a few games this year.

Most fans seem very happy with the way Sam Mitchell has bought in a new culture at the Hawks - seems to care about his players on and off field much more than his predecessor, but is still able to make the hard calls.
The entire playing group has bought in - especially the ones who were responsible for giving the board enough ammo to bin off Clarkson a year early.

For a club widely tipped to be wooden spooners - the year can only be seen as a success - certainly by those inside the club.

However for us importantly - Hawthorn Football Club are now looking at 2023 - and are putting players into cotton wool for next year.

They are very light on for players for Saturday - and that's being kind!

FORWARDS: With Lewis out, and Kositche and Impey doubtful - they will likely go with Gunston (who himself is still a week to week proposition with back and ankle issues) and Scrimshaw as talls. Smalls will be Bruest and Butler.
The others in the mix are a resting ruck, plus fringe players Callow, Saunders, Long and Serong in the mix.
Goals will be hard to come by - a lot will depend on Max Lynch if he plays.

RUCK: In Big-Boys 250th, it would be unfathomable to throw him to the wolves against Witts as a sole ruck if Lynch is fit. Marshall destroyed the aging McEvoy last week, and a sad sight it was too. If Lynch is AFL fit - he plays. If not Conor Nash gets to be the pinch-hitter.

MIDFIELD: JOM has been good in a high mid role, sacrificing his normal game. Tom Mitchell gets the ball heaps. Tom Mitchell turns the ball over heaps.
The young kids - Ward and MacDonald have been very good, but are coming to the end of a tough 1st year.
Conor Nash has been a big improver, and as a pure mid, is an efficient disposer, and a hard tackler.
Dylan Moore has been outstanding all year and is an outside chance for AA
But - Jai Newcombe is already an A grader - high possessions, clearances and tackles - kicking a few goals now too. Had his first hard tag last week - went forward, broke his tagger, and kicked 2. Went back into the mid and got the Hawks back within 2 kicks.
The rising star if not for Nick Daicos. Finn McGuiness has elevated himself to a very useful tagger - expect Touk to have a hard day at the office. Kept Ed Langdon to 14 possessions earlier in the year.
They fall away quickly after these guys though. Maybe the ever-injured skinny Will Day may rotate through as well.

BACKS: Potential trade target Emerson Jeka will likely play as Jiath is suspended, and Frost is done for the year, as is Morris. The back six of Blanck , Hardwick, Sicily, Jeka, Grainger-Barass and Day / Debutant tbc is very inexperienced - but they just seem to get the job done for long periods - as long as the mids hold up. I suspect it will be a torrid day at the office for the Hawks defence.

Players out:
Lewis
Wingard
Impey
Brockman
Frost
Morris
Bramble
Reeves
Mitchell
Downie

Suspension
Jiath

In short - probable debuts and a heap of Hawks with sub 25 games experience. With one eye on 2023, I suspect they will be competitive, but fall away sharply after halftime as the season takes its toll on the kids.

Suns by 30

Most fans seem very happy with the way Sam Mitchell has bought in a new culture at the Hawks - seems to care about his players on and off field much more than his predecessor, but is still able to make the hard calls.
The entire playing group has bought in - especially the ones who were responsible for giving the board enough ammo to bin off Clarkson a year early.

For a club widely tipped to be wooden spooners - the year can only be seen as a success - certainly by those inside the club.

However for us importantly - Hawthorn Football Club are now looking at 2023 - and are putting players into cotton wool for next year.

FORWARDS: With Lewis out, and Kositche and Impey doubtful - they will likely go with Gunston (who himself is still a week to week proposition with back and ankle issues) and Scrimshaw as talls. Smalls will be Bruest and Butler.
The others in the mix are a resting ruck, plus fringe players Callow, Saunders, Long and Serong in the mix.

RUCK: In Big-Boys 250th, it would be unfathomable to throw him to the wolves against Witts as a sole ruck if Lynch is fit. Marshall destroyed the aging McEvoy last week, and a sad sight it was too. If Lynch is AFL fit - he plays. If not Conor Nash gets to be the pinch-hitter.

MIDFIELD: JOM has been good in a high mid role, sacrificing his normal game. Tom Mitchell gets the ball heaps. Tom Mitchell turns the ball over heaps.
The young kids - Ward and MacDonald have been very good, but are coming to the end of a tough 1st year.
Conor Nash has been a big improver, and as a pure mid, is an efficient disposer, and a hard tackler.
But - Jai Newcombe is already an A grader - high possessions, clearances and tackles - kicking a few goals now too. Had his first hard tag last week - went forward, broke his tagger, and kicked 2. Went back into the mid and got the Hawks back within 2 kicks.
The rising star if not for Nick Daicos. Finn McGuiness has elevated himself to a very useful tagger - expect Touk to have a hard day at the office. Kept Ed Langdon to 14 possessions earlier in the year.
They fall away quickly after these guys though. Maybe the ever-injured skinny Will Day may rotate through as well.

BACKS: Potential trade target Emerson Jeka will likely play as Jiath is suspended, and Frost is done for the year, as is Morris. The back six of Blanck , Hardwick, Sicily, Jeka, Grainger-Barass and Day / Debutant tbc is very inexperienced - but they just seem to get the job done for long periods - as long as the mids hold up. I suspect it will be a torrid day at the office for the Hawks defence.

Players out:
Lewis
Wingard
Impey
Brockman
Frost
Morris
Bramble
Reeves
Mitchell
Downie

Suspension
Jiath

In short - probable debuts and a heap of Hawks with sub 25 games experience. With one eye on 2023, I suspect they will be competitive, but fall away sharply after halftime as the season takes its toll on the kids.

Suns by 30
Nice analysis.

Hawks basically miss the same number of best 22 like Suns, 7-8. I am not sure Suns ever won in Tasmania. We are also leaking too many goals recently.

Are we still going after Worpel? Just kidding, I could not help myself :)

Players out:
Lewis
Wingard
Impey
Brockman
Frost
Morris
Bramble
Reeves
Mitchell
Downie

Suspension
Jiath

Suns by 30
Mitchell has went at 80 & 90% disposal efficiency the last two weeks.

Mitchell has went at 80 & 90% disposal efficiency the last two weeks.
I note Mitchell had 31 possessions for 165m gained last week which is incredibly low for a player that had 21 uncontested possessions.

I watched some of his highlights on the 'top player highlights' section of the AFL app (excellent resource FYI)
Lots of handballs to teammates not necessarily in better positions who then came under pressure and subsequently had ineffective possessions.

Someone needs to tell the Hawks that a (big) loss will help their coming draft pick and that they need to play the kids to give them a run and see what they've got.

I note Mitchell had 31 possessions for 165m gained last week which is incredibly low for a player that had 21 uncontested possessions.

I watched some of his highlights on the 'top player highlights' section of the AFL app (excellent resource FYI)
Lots of handballs to teammates not necessarily in better positions who then came under pressure and subsequently had ineffective possessions.
Don’t watch highlights, watch the whole game from last week. He was one of our best, though he had low metres gained he was pretty solid throughout the game. His game the week prior against North was much better and was very good however.

I reckon it’s got something to do with the ruckmen, we had just 1 ruck in McEvoy destroyed by Marshall, with no Reeves we need Lynch to come in, two rucks for us works a lot better and most games we have two rucks we usually do well.

We are a chance to debut one or two kids this week I’d suspect. Ned Long and or Jai Serong.

Seriously, I hope you give it your all and a good game is had (with the Suns winning of course).

But for the sake of our slim finals chances....a major thrashing would help a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21 v Hawthorn @ The Apple Isle - August 6th 01:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back