Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Hawks walk the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to point out that Hartigan played on one of the hottest forward talents in the AFL today and kept him to 2 shots on goal, and 1 of them was when he was absolutely in the right spot, but was simply out-reached for the mark from behind.
#delist

Lewis is a Boss when played from CHF, getting up the ground.

Anyone want to comment on his work ethic & 2nd efforts?
Lewis has been really good in that role since he came back from concussion. He is such a big lump with long arms that he is hard to outmark when on the move roaming up the ground. And his disposal is surprisingly good.

Kosi at this stage is more value closer to goal as he is very aggressive and competes for everything like his life depends on it. Better at halving a contest and bringing the smalls into play. Kosi's work rate is also huge at helping keep the forward pressure on

I though earlier in the year that they would be in the swapped roles compared to what they are doing now. But it has worked well together this last month

it was too hard to change gameplans midseason when the dour, defensive, conservative, choking the opposition, boundary line hugging wasn't working.
You are spot on here. A masterstroke by Bevo to show how you can change a gameplan. You could see how the Bulldogs completely changed their gamestyle and continually went dour, defensive, conservative, choking the opposition, boundary line hugging gameplan.

Or maybe the opposition made them play that way.......

Mitchell Lewis

10 marks (career high)
5 tackles (career high)

I can see 2022 him and Kosi will just take off!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Howe was amazing. I noticed that we really looked for that corridor kick from half back or the wing and we had players loose in the middle. Also helps to have a 197cm mid who can take a mark there between 2 doggie players. Great win! I finished the game thinking is it good we are changing coaches or not but will definitely jump on Sam for next year. The comp is that close that we don’t need to go silly with the rebuild, maybe Mitchell if the deal is good but otherwise keep him and get another 3 more good kids. Getting Newcombe and Bramble already for nothing means this year has been worthwhile

Again Hartigan has done his job, but still so many want him gone.
He's been very serviceable this year. Much better than we would of got from Frawley, who is absolutely cooked

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Has had maybe 2-3 poor games all year. For the many entries we have conceded this year the biggeat bag kicked against us is 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can safely say, depending on how well the players respond to Sammy’s message, that we bottomed out in 2020. I wouldn’t be surprised if we bounced back into finals next year. 6 weeks ago I would have thought that was completely nuts.

Hmm... not sure. Irrespective of the past five weeks, I think Sam is going to be pretty aggressive in getting more young talent in.

It's a win-win for me really. Mitchell's past six weeks are back to his Brownlow form. Value madly increased. Wingard has been brilliant the past month. Again, value increased.

Howe, gee, he has increased his value across the year, today I hope is super fresh in the minds of any rumoured suitors. Ceglar has also put up some pretty decent footy.

Like everyone thinks, Bramble is just a jet. What a steal. Newcombe adds such hardness around the contest for us. Nash to. Kosi just competes and Lewis got the opportunity to do what I know he has seen as his best role, he pushed up at the ball between the arcs and made plenty of us believe again he can make it.

I don't expect to make finals next year, as I think we are truly rebuilding now. Over rating your list is what has got us to where we are now, and what kills clubs.

We still need much more talent in, but we have far more talent then anyone externally thought. We also have some trade chips that have gone from silver to gold, or nothing to silver in the case of Howe.

Hmm... not sure. Irrespective of the past five weeks, I think Sam is going to be pretty aggressive in getting more young talent in.

It's a win-win for me really. Mitchell's past six weeks are back to his Brownlow form. Value madly increased. Wingard has been brilliant the past month. Again, value increased.

Howe, gee, he has increased his value across the year, today I hope is super fresh in the minds of any rumoured suitors. Ceglar has also put up some pretty decent footy.

Like everyone thinks, Bramble is just a jet. What a steal. Newcombe adds such hardness around the contest for us. Nash to. Kosi just competes and Lewis got the opportunity to do what I know he has seen as his best role, he pushed up at the ball between the arcs and made plenty of us believe again he can make it.

I don't expect to make finals next year, as I think we are truly rebuilding now. Over rating your list is what has got us to where we are now, and what kills clubs.

We still need much more talent in, but we have far more talent then anyone externally thought. We also have some trade chips that have gone from silver to gold, or nothing to silver in the case of Howe.
We aren't just gonna get rid of good players for picks sorry.

Overrating our list, we have 9 best 22 players that are injured to go with 3 picks inside around top 25. We've won 3 in a row. Hardly "overrating" for someone to say we could push up and compete.

A great day at the footy.

To think we beat one of the Premiership favourites convincingly without arguably 10 of our best 22 missing, is unreal.

Everyone did their bit today and I thought two whipping boys in particular were great, in Cegs and TOB.

Although I have been on a pretty big downer about Mitch Lewis and his lack of intent, to my eye that was the best game I have seen from him by a mile, as far as intensity and effort goes.

Off the top of my head we were missing

Backline: Day, Impey, CJ, Sicily, DGB.
Midfield: JOM and Worps and an up and coming tap ruckman in Reeves.
Fowards: Gunston, Bruest, Moore.

That’s a shitload of talent to come back into the side next year.

I managed to get right next to the race when Clarko and Silk was given a rousing send off and you could see Clarko in particular was chuffed with the love and admiration he received.

The future is so bright never mind sunglasses, we will all need welding goggles.

Yep, suddenly the guys that have been hanging around years and playing from absolutely terrible (Nash) to poorly (TOB, Howe and Ceglar) suddenly have some currency - either for us moving forward (Nash in particular) or maybe for another team that could potentially be interested in a trade.

At the least it gives Mitchell some option moving forward.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

There has been a massive shift in our intent to take the game on, take risks and attack through the center corridor.

We are even hitting leading forwards!

We played a terrific brand of footy today. Out worked the Dogs and thoroughly deserved the win.
The pressure we applied on their mids and in general play was fantastic. They wanted to play easy, pretty football and we just didn't let them.

You know you've had a day out when your players are playing career best games.

Last edited:
I think where we are excelling and where it’s all clicking is not as much the midfield as it is the is the half backline. We are setting up extremely well, pushing up a lot higher and just dominating that territory. Players like Scrim and TOB are just made for this sort of football and because they have good disposal, we are able to move it really quickly to our Wingards and Brambles.

It’s so great to watch.
Nailed it mate when we setup well defensively we r always in the game its a springboard to attack in the modern game. It was a dour struggle with not much scoring. But we stopped them from scoring

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 22, 2021: Hawks walk the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back