Prediction Round 22 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a cultural problem with this club at the moment. We can’t match it if another side is more desperate for a win. We’ve got three more of those games coming up.
Not how I would describe it. Certainly not a culture problem which really describes what's going on behind the scenes rather than on field.

How is a one point loss "not matching it" anyway? How would it be different if it was a 1 point win? Seems to me that we were up for the fight, we are just not quite good enough yet.

They should haven taken the pace out of the game in that last. Chip it around for 5 minutes.
Don’t think Fremantle touched the ball in those 5 centre clearances.
Essendon touched it 10 times for direct entries and goals in that time.
Just simple entries to a 6-6-6 formation. Players loss every match up- midfield, defence. It was insane how poor it was

Last edited:
Not how I would describe it. Certainly not a culture problem which really describes what's going on behind the scenes rather than on field.

How is a one point loss "not matching it" anyway? How would it be different if it was a 1 point win? Seems to me that we were up for the fight, we are just not quite good enough yet.
It wasn’t just this game, it was also against the Hawks and dogs. Not matching it means not letting them waltz four or five consecutive goals out of the middle when outright second was on the line. The ****ing season was on the line. Where were the leaders?

It wasn’t just this game, it was also against the Hawks and dogs. Not matching it means not letting them waltz four or five consecutive goals out of the middle when outright second was on the line. The ****ing season was on the line. Where were the leaders?

Agree.. I’m still furious about it and it’s Tuesday. I’m usually over a loss by now but I’m just hoping we bounce back strong this week because if we lose this week I don’t think we make the 8. I just can’t see us beating GWS and Port when we don’t play with any intensity. It was ridiculous how low the pressure/intensity was for most of the game Sunday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree.. I’m still furious about it and it’s Tuesday. I’m usually over a loss by now but I’m just hoping we bounce back strong this week because if we lose this week I don’t think we make the 8. I just can’t see us beating GWS and Port when we don’t play with any intensity. It was ridiculous how low the pressure/intensity was for most of the game Sunday.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Part of the problem is we let these games become more difficult than we need to. We get up for the Swans game, but if we think the opposition is beneath us, or if we think they’re weakened by injury, like against the dogs, we don’t play with the same intensity from the get go. We missed Fyfe’s leadership in the middle. the only upside now is that we can’t lose any more games to make top four and hopefully that’s enough to make the penny drop.

Draft position matters, fair chance Sturt would have been de-listed if he was pick 70.

Tough decisions need to be made unfortunately. Some people have made a case for Hughes coming in for Chapman on form so the only obvious de-list is Taberner. If we go to the draft with our picks we need to de-list 4 or 5 players.

If we get rid of Sturt it’s peak muppetry.

The bloke is going at almost two goals a game now…he’s fast, is tackling, can take a mark, and can kick straight.

Yeah, going by how this year has gone you could say every team has a culture problem.

Given all the ups and downs of a season and all the variables at play, the loss doesn't have to be narrowed down to any permanent trait at all. Just a few changeable factors could be it.

If we get rid of Sturt it’s peak muppetry.

The bloke is going at almost two goals a game now…he’s fats, is tackling, can take a mark, and can kick straight.

I don't think it would be considered getting rid of.

I think Sturt has found himself in a situation where he could get some very tasty offers from other sides. We can't really afford to pay overs for anyone atm. Sturt might get a front loaded 600k offer from a side like Saints or Richmond now with all of their spare cap space. We can't match that if we are going to go after Bolton and Warner.

Unfortunetly something is going to have to give. We will end up loosing one or two of Banners, Switta, Sturt, all of which I would love to keep.

I don't think it would be considered getting rid of.

I think Sturt has found himself in a situation where he could get some very tasty offers from other sides. We can't really afford to pay overs for anyone atm. Sturt might get a front loaded 600k offer from a side like Saints or Richmond now with all of their spare cap space. We can't match that if we are going to go after Bolton and Warner.

Unfortunately something is going to have to give. We will end up loosing one or two of Banners, Switta, Sturt, all of which I would love to keep.

I think if we are losing one or two of those three, to get Bolton and Warner, then we shouldn't get getting both.

We especially need to find away to offer Sturt a contract, he will accept.

If Bolton is only 1.1 million a year, I think we should pass on him.

It’s not cultural it’s inexperience they’ll practice all these situations over summer and we will win every single one next year

Don’t think Fremantle touched the ball in those 5 centre clearances.
Essendon touched it 10 times for direct entries and goals in that time.
Just simple entries to a 6-6-6 formation. Players loss every match up- midfield, defence. It was insane how poor it was
Reminiscient of the game against the Eagles, could not win a 1v1 anywhere

It's not a culture issue however there seems to be an almost laissez faire attitude to these important games. Almost like the players are not sure who should step up and then realising too late they all should have.
I'm also not sure we are 'attacking' opponents weaknesses enough, meanwhile they are targeting areas where we are have been shown to be vulnerable..

The game against the Bombers is laid squarely at the feet of the midfield/rucks. Forwards did their job, Defenders did their job considering at times it was stupid how easy the ball was being marched in there..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of them still in Perth.

Anyone have a win/loss stat for Freo player milestone match results. Only a hunch, but it seems like we perform about as well in milestone matches as we don on Friday nights and in the wet.

Just an aside, but it's Jordan Clarks 10th this weekend.

Good win in Luke Ryans 150th a few weeks back.

Anyone have a win/loss stat for Freo player milestone match results. Only a hunch, but it seems like we perform about as well in milestone matches as we don on Friday nights and in the wet.

Just an aside, but it's Jordan Clarks 10th this weekend.
Won for Aish’s 100th for Fremantle.
No one mentioned it, anywhere. He’s been a solid servant

It's not a culture issue however there seems to be an almost laissez faire attitude to these important games. Almost like the players are not sure who should step up and then realising too late they all should have.
I'm also not sure we are 'attacking' opponents weaknesses enough, meanwhile they are targeting areas where we are have been shown to be vulnerable..

The game against the Bombers is laid squarely at the feet of the midfield/rucks. Forwards did their job, Defenders did their job considering at times it was stupid how easy the ball was being marched in there..

It seemed to me that the team was switched on, we got out to a 25 point lead on the road. The midfield could have been better, I think selection was the main issue. Lost our most experienced mid and replaced him with our most inexperienced mid.

I think Darcy must've forgotten to pack his pillow, he really had a shocker with his one wood. I don't think anybody would expect that to happen to the degree it did.

Having said that, we were more than 4 goals to the good in the last quarter. Even managed to get it back to square after they had got more than a goal up deep into the last.

They do need to address that midfield dynamism, or lack thereof, in the backend of last quarters. Either that or get better at putting it out of reach before then.

We just don't have a hard enough edge yet. It will come, but we don't have it and it stands out quite clearly when we are seriously put to the sword.

If I compare the current list to the 2013-15 one, there are some stark differences. We don't have enough hardened, experienced bodies and minds that can stand up for 120 minutes under intense pressure...the previous list did.

If we don't have too much success this season, that would be objective number one over the off season. Building up the level of resilience required to absorb the pressure from quality experienced sides and understanding what needs to be done to close out games when the opposition has a sniff.

We just don't have a hard enough edge yet. It will come, but we don't have it and it stands out quite clearly when we are seriously put to the sword.

If I compare the current list to the 2013-15 one, there are some stark differences. We don't have enough hardened, experienced bodies and minds that can stand up for 120 minutes under intense pressure...the previous list did.

If we don't have too much success this season, that would be objective number one over the off season. Building up the level of resilience required to absorb the pressure from quality experienced sides and understanding what needs to be done to close out games when the opposition has a sniff.
The good thing is a 1 point loss will be better for the team long term than a 1 point win. I hope they are all filthy at what happened and use it to beat Geelong, GWS and Port. We would then make top 4, maybe even top 2 and have some confidence that we can match it when it counts.

We had two games in a row with the opposition having extra motivation. Stringer had 10 tackles, I think that is a telling stat on what the team faced. Finals is that level of motivation, so it is better to have this run in than soft targets, even if it kills us.

It's been pointed out a few times that Freo supporters ride the highs and lows of winning and losing harder than anybody else. And boy howdy has that been on display here. Cultural issues... Have mercy.
Fear of failure is what underpins our team. That's psychology, not culture. WC had a win at all costs culture and it ruined lives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 22 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back