Autopsy Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Also did anyone see Briggsy go down in the middle of the ground in I think early in the 3rd or 4th? I think he popped his shoulder back in on the ground
Looked like it was lower than that, he was holding his nethers from what I could see.

I saw him at the post match function, he seemed ok. Cogs looked a bit sad, I think he knows his shoulder just isn't quite good enough to play unfortunately.
Maybe he can just play as a forward.
Didn't Cogs miss the 2019 GF through injury? Gutted if it were to happen again. But we can't carry passengers through finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will make selection perhaps easier, but I think know most players play.
I wonder if Riccardi is available.
Also if Port or Geelong lose badly, we may not end up 4th and play South Melbourne…and why mess with winning form? Would rather finish 2nd and beat South Melbourne in the Grand Final - that would be far more satisfying!

And no track works! Another 500 odd more crowd and we would have broken our highest ever crowd against Freo at Giants Stadium (11,233)
Totally agree.

Was so close but i'll take this huge increase in attendance.

We need a couple rain free games like this next year to build momentum and hopefully start nipping at Canberra's attendance figures in the next few seasons. :D
Worth noting that just about every member of the crowd had some Giants gear, whereas previous large crowds often had a bunch of people clearly along for a taste at most.
I noticed this also, very pleasing to see.

It heavily skewed Giants way, seemed the Freo attendance was in the low %

Seemed to be a fairly diverse crowd too, hopefully multicultural round helping have some new footy fans return.

Fan engagement was good, too. Gotta say, our minimum for a great atmosphere at Engie is at or north of 10k. 10k+ and the atmosphere is very, very good.

Side note, huge increase in fans attending the post match event at Giants HQ. I remember attending last year when there were 60-70 of us. Today seemed like the numbers were well and truly in the hundreds. Great to see the fans becoming more and more engaged and our numbers grow.

Last edited:
Totally agree.

Was so close but i'll take this huge increase in attendance.

We need a couple raintrees games like this next year to build momentum and hopefully start nipping at Canberra's attendance figures in the next few seasons. :D

I noticed this also, very pleasing to see.

It heavily skewed Giants way, seemed the Freo attendance was in the low %

Seemed to be a fairly diverse crowd too, hopefully multicultural round helping have some new footy fans return.

Fan engagement was good, too. Gotta say, our minimum for a great atmosphere at Engie is at or north of 10k. 10k+ and the atmosphere is very, very good.

Side note, huge increase in fans attending the post match event at Giants HQ. I remember attending last year when there were 60-70 of us. Today seemed like the numbers were well and truly in the hundreds. Great to see the fans becoming more and more engaged and our numbers grow.
I was at function till about 6.30, was there a reaction when Brisbane lost?
Also did you see Jonathan Brown, I think he was
standing outside but then went somewhere inside the building. He had a bag, I assume flying back to Melbourne tonight.

I come in peace. Great game today. I know Hogan got the accolades, but your smalls, especially Daniels, were phenomenal. Great advert for the game, too (not so much for my blood pressure!). Umpiring wasn't amazing, but the ledger was pretty even, and both sides went in hard. Never thought I'd see us in a shootout, so had to be pleased with that at least.

Hope we still make it, but if not, I'll be cheering you guys on for your maiden flag.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was at function till about 6.30, was there a reaction when Brisbane lost?
I left before the end of the game so didn't see but plenty fans watching on the screens in the cafe.
Also did you see Jonathan Brown, I think he was
standing outside but then went somewhere inside the building. He had a bag, I assume flying back to Melbourne tonight.

I did, only saw him inside though. He was among the Giants crowd, chatting. Couple Giants kids recognised him and asked him for a photo which he obliged to.

I saw our former chairman, Tony Shepherd, too. Seems to be quite a Giants fan given the amount of games i've seen him at now. Not sure if it's usual for former chairmen to be at games after they leave their roles.

Cogs looked a bit sad, I think he knows his shoulder just isn't quite good enough to play unfortunately.
If his injured shoulder means he’s going to turn in performances like that then there’s no point playing him. We need fit soldiers out there come September. Can’t be a coincidence that Peatling’s output was also way down with Cogs attending the majority of centre bounces.

To be honest their midfield looked a lot stronger than ours for large chunks of the match. Daniels and Hogan were the difference between the two teams.

Last edited:
If his injured shoulder means he’s going to turn in performances like that then there’s no point playing him. We need fit soldiers out there come September. Can’t be a coincidence that Peatling’s output was also way down with Cogs attending the majority of centre bounces.

To be honest their midfield looked a lot stronger than ours for large chunks of the match. Daniels and Hogan the difference between the two teams.
They looked bigger bodies generally, probably only one player in 3rd year or less, we had about 5 I think.
Our midfield is definitely the least strong of the 3 lines.
I agree, we can't carry Cogs. It isn't fair he got the injury, but really should go for surgery if that is what is needed.
I think the fact he spent most of 4th qtr as a full forward means we won't play him next week.

Numbers exceeded AFL expectations today:

“We’d like to play in front of our home crowd. We had a really good, strong crowd today of over 10,000, well above AFL expectations, and they were loud in critical moments, which certainly helped us,” Kingsley said.

Very few sunny days this season.. I've noticed all season I've felt an undercurrent of Giants support which was yet to be realised. Today proves it. Great work by the club and all for showing up today.

Hogan’s six goals boot Giants closer to double chance and a Sydney final

The Giants are striving for a top-two finish and a Sydney home final after a record-equalling seventh successive victory inspired by a six-goal performance from Jesse Hogan.

GWS beat Fremantle by nine points at the Sydney Showgrounds on Saturday to leave the Dockers’ finals chances in jeopardy.

It was fitting that Hogan kicked the goal that sealed victory against his most recent former club. He placed his grasp ever more firmly on the Coleman Medal as the league’s leading goalkicker with his six goals taking him to 67, 10 ahead of Carlton’s injured Charlie Curnow on 57.

Hogan has equalled the most number of goals kicked by a Giant, with Jeremy Cameron also booting 67 in 2019 to win the Coleman medal. It’s a remarkable turnaround for a player who had injury and personal issues during his two seasons in Perth before being given away by the Dockers.

“I’m really proud of the work that he puts in,” said coach Adam Kingsley, who described Hogan as selfless. “That probably goes understated, just how hard he works at his game, whether it’s physically or mentally. He’s a fantastic preparer, and we’ll support him as best as we can, as a coaching group and as a playing group.

“He’s given away plenty of goals this year to people in better positions or created a contest to create goals for his smaller teammates. So it’s great to see him get the rewards.”

The Giants must finish second to join their top-placed rivals the Swans in hosting a final during the first week of the playing-offs.

“We’d like to play in front of our home crowd. We had a really good, strong crowd today of over 10,000, well above AFL expectations, and they were loud in critical moments, which certainly helped us,” Kingsley said.

“So we’d love to play in front of them finals time, but we’ve got a job to do next week, and if we can do that, then we’ll get that opportunity.”

Kingsley agreed the Giants had been playing finals-like matches for weeks, having overcome then second-placed Brisbane in their previous game, before meeting sixth-placed Fremantle on Saturday and finishing the regular season with the seventh-placed Western Bulldogs in Ballarat next Sunday.

“I think we’ve had a great dress rehearsal for the finals with the teams that we’ve played over the last five weeks,” Kingsley said. “I’m really comfortable with that. But again, getting there is one thing, the season starts again now and we’ve got to make sure that we’re playing our best.”

Three pieces of magic allowed the Giants to regain the lead during the third quarter, with an under-pressure dribble from Toby Greene allowing Hogan to pop through his third goal from the square, a Darcy Jones showpiece that came during an active third quarter, and a roving banana from one of the Giant’s best players, Brett Daniels.

Gathering a hot handball from Tom Green, Jones dodged an opponent then let go with a right-foot banana kick which curled through the goal, putting the Giants back in front.

And Daniels made something out of nothing, spinning out of a pack for his right-foot checkside goal.

Green was instrumental in the Giants’ third-quarter comeback after a quiet start, and finished the game with a massive 40 possessions including 13 clearances. Veteran Stephen Coniglio had a big second half. Coniglio was busy in his first game since round 18 after recovering from a shoulder injury.

It was an exceptional performance from Fremantle’s Andrew Brayshaw which kept the visitors in the game, with 41 possessions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back