Autopsy Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
From Orange crush's preview:

Well, well, well. A few weeks ago and this was expected to be a make or break game for our finals campaign. It now seems to be for a double chance, even a home final. The worm has turned like our scoring worm against the Lions, oh and the Hawks, oh and the Demons ... oh heck and against the Blues. I guess, looking at those worms, that what we need this week is a solid 1st quarter. Still, the pressure applied and willingness to run that our boys have shown the past 5 weeks gives me hope that a deep run in September starts on Saturday.

Did Cads just have his breakout game? Has playing 3rd fiddle held him back a bit? Dunno, to be honest, but I felt something watching him in that last quarter (but FFS, don't play on when Toby has a shot in front). Kingers stated in the post-match yesterday that we are not the finished product ... and this week should be another step, win or lose, to getting out best team on the field. Lachie Keeffe, the much maligned Lachie Keeffe, really stood up yesterday and I wonder if he will keep his spot with Briggsy expected back. Gru kicked a nice goal and played a solid defensive game on Harris at times, but surely Lachie offers a bit more. We might, fingers crossed, get Cogs back, too ... who does he come in for? HT was subbed and maybe running out of steam ... he or XOH seem the most in danger. Unfortunate but Gru and Stone back to the twos with the fully mature Peat now undroppable (what a game!!!!). How about Muff?

Freo have lost two games on the trot that they should have won so they will be hurting. With a top 4 potentially on the line, I expect them to come out firing. On the personnel front, Treacy must be in doubt still and that leaves a big Kahuna-sized hole in their forward line. Darcy is battling niggles and was a late out with a knee, but I would expect him back this week (makes the Keeffe inclusion valuable). Freo live and die by their clearance work ... not our strong point .... so Bedford to Serong could be a game-changer. I saw Brayshaw concussed Tanner Bruhn yesterday (poor Tanner) so he might be in a little MRO trouble ... that could really help our cause. Let's hope we can repeat last years performance with a big win and boost our percentage.

Here are the teams:

GWS v FRE.png

Beautiful day for footy in Sydney’s west. Sunny and a top of 21 degrees.

So, win and we lock in a finals spot, and more importantly a top 5 spot, plus give ourselves a big chance at a top 4 or even top 2 spot. Lose and we're in a crapshoot of finals teams. We have an 8-2 record at home this year; Freo are 5-5 away. Let's get this done, Giants! Hopefully we are motivated but not complacent, start well and don't go to sleep in any quarter.

C'mon GIANTS!

Need to really play 4 quarter football as % could determine our relative final positions in relation to Geelong and Port.

We are yet to ever lose at Giants Stadium against Fremantle, and are favourites to continue this 100% win record today.

We are also on an impressive 6 game winning streak, and indeed if we win, this will be our (equal) highest consecutive winning streak in our history!

Such an important game - win and we are mathematically guaranteed a final berth. We will additionally be setting ourselves beautifully for a top 4 finish, and could even be as high as 2nd after this weekend. Lose and we face the, albeit very unlikely, prospect of not even making the finals given we play the Bulldogs in Ballarat next week.

Something to count and tick off as hopefully Jesse adds to his goal haul today - Jesse currently is on 61 goals for the season, the 4th highest goals ever scored by a Giant in a home and away season.

Our club records for goals in a season during the H&A season are:
  • 67: Jeremy Cameron 2019
  • 63: Jeremy Cameron 2015
  • 62: Jeremy Cameron 2013
  • 61*: Jesse Hogan 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No crowd again.

Seriously move the Giants to Canberra
It looks okay

Remember the Swans crowds declined for 14 years when they joined the competition

With less than 1 game a week in Sydney it's hard to make it feel lile afl matters

Growth will be slow through families and communities in the west

Other than adding more teams to Sydney we just have to wait it out

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back